What Subjects Can You Study Abroad: Top 10 [2024]

Business + Culture

While you excitedly explore CIEE Study Abroad locations and specific program options, don’t forget to look for study abroad courses in specific areas of study, too!  

Being in the classroom will be a large part of your study abroad experience. Undoubtedly, you’ll get to go on some amazing excursions and explore an international city while abroad, but your classroom studies are important (and exciting) so, choosing study abroad courses you’re interested in will make your overall study abroad experience that much better.  

Let’s take a closer look at the best courses to study abroad to help determine what classes will pique your interests and enrich your adventure abroad!  

Business  

If you’re a business major or interested in business study abroad courses, you’re in luck with CIEE! Not only do we offer many study abroad programs with a focus on business, but we also offer opportunities to shadow professionals in a variety of companies.   

Featured Program: Business + Culture (Madrid, Spain)  

As the capital of Spain, Madrid promises a vibrant study abroad experience. Known for its numerous startups and multinational corporations, Madrid is an incredible place to gain an international perspective on business.  

You’ll have the chance to enroll in courses at one of CIEE’s renowned partner institutions: Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M) or Universidad Antonio Nebrija (UAN), both with prestigious business programs. In addition to your exciting business study abroad courses, you’ll get to immerse yourself in Madrid’s lively culture.  

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to Studying Abroad in Madrid  

Program details:  

• Length: 17 weeks 
  • Credit: 15-18 semester hours/22.5-27 quarter hours 
  • Costs: $20,950 

madrid student class

Best Cities to Study Business Abroad  

As we’ve mentioned, we offer a lot of study abroad programs that focus on business, but we do consider some of these fantastic cities some of the best, check them out:  

Taking communication study abroad courses is highly valuable. You’ll get to explore global communications trends around the world and enhance your intercultural skills by connecting with diverse groups of people.  

Good communication skills are key to professional success, no matter what industry or role you end up in.  

Featured Program: Chinese Language + Asian Studies (Taipei, Taiwan)   

For those interested in the Chinese language and Asian culture, this program is perfect for you. Taipei, Taiwan’s incredible capital, is an exciting metropolis, known for its unique fusion of cultures, delicious food, beautiful scenery, friendly people, and rich history, including insight into the roots of the Mandarin language and Taiwanese heritage.  

Read More: Taiwan Study Abroad: The Ultimate Guide  

You’ll take communication study abroad courses at National Taiwan Normal University alongside other international students, all while exploring Taipei.  

Program details:  

• Length: 16 weeks 
  • Credit: 12-18 semester hours/18-27 quarter hours  
  • Costs: $19,850 

calligraphy taiwan class

Best Cities to Study Communications Abroad  

In addition to Taiwan, we offer several other excellent cities to study communications abroad, including:  

Education 

Future educators will make an impact in classrooms abroad with our education study abroad programs. Not only will you get to meet students from around the world, but you’ll also gain insight into how other countries approach education and benefit from intercultural communication skills while you’re at it.  

Featured Program: Summer Global Internship (Cape Town, South Africa)  

Gain professional education experience in one of the world’s most beautiful and complex cities: Cape Town. As one of South Africa’s major ports and cities, you’ll stay busy shadowing professionals in the education industry and taking related study abroad courses while exploring stunning scenery, watersports, and nightlife in multicultural and student-friendly Cape Town.  

Program details:  

• Length: Eight weeks 
  • Credit: 6 semester hours/9 quarter hours  
  • Costs: $7,450 

classroom students cape town

Best Cities to Study Education Abroad 

It’s not just Cape Town that’s an amazing place to study education abroad, we offer programs and outstanding education study abroad courses in many other international cities including:  

Foreign Languages 

When asking, “What subjects can you study abroad?” foreign language programs are likely at the top of the list. What better way to improve your language learning skills than immersing yourself in a city and local culture that speaks another language?   

CIEE offers many foreign language study abroad programs, from French and Arabic to Mandarin, Japanese, and beyond. You’ll fast-forward your language skills in no time, while learning more about the language’s historic and cultural roots.  

Featured Program: Summer Arabic Language (Amman, Jordan)  

Designed for all students, you’ll improve your Arabic language skills with this intriguing study abroad program in the heart of Amman, Jordan’s incredible capital city.   

As you immerse yourself in the local culture and take Arabic study abroad courses, you’ll communicate in the local language and explore Amman’s exceptional souks, minarets, mosques, and coffeehouses.   

Read More: Unveiling Jordan’s Hidden Treasures: 5 Must-Visit Gems  

Program details:  

• Length: Nine weeks 
  • Credit: 10 semester hours/15 quarter hours 
  • Costs: $9,250 

arabic language class student whiteboard writing

Best Cities to Study Foreign Languages Abroad  

Each and every one of our study abroad programs make for a great place to study foreign languages abroad; language learning comes a lot easier when you’re submerged in a new place. Another cool benefit of studying abroad!  

With all that said, if we had to narrow down the best cities to study foreign languages abroad, we’d condense them to these options (although they all are great):  

Health & Medical Studies  

When wondering, “What are the best courses to study abroad,” include health and medical studies in your considerations. Taking your studies abroad is a valuable way to shadow healthcare workers in foreign countries and better understand the complex health systems in place around the world.  

You’ll make a difference in public health clinics, hospitals, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and discover more about yourself and your own passions.  

Featured Program: Summer Community Public Health (Santiago de Los Caballeros, Dominican Republic

Examine the complexities of health care in nations with evolving public health systems during our study abroad program in the Dominican Republic’s second-largest city, Santiago de Los Caballeros. On program, you’ll take exciting study abroad courses at CIEE’s partner school, Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM), and get hands-on fieldwork in urban and semi-rural settings.  

While you gain incredible knowledge in the health and medical field, you’ll also get to explore the beautiful DR, meet some of the country’s hospitable people, and more.  

Program details:  

• Length: Eight weeks 
  • Costs: $8,750 

santiago dr volunteers

Best Cities to Study Health & Medical Studies Abroad  

Check out our other incredible cities to study the health and medical fields abroad:  

Humanities & Social Sciences  

All of our study abroad programs contain some elements of the humanities and social sciences field – you will be exploring a foreign international city and getting to know new people, after all! In fact, we consider humanities and social sciences classes some of the best courses to study abroad.  

With our humanities and social sciences programs, you’ll better develop your curiosity about the world and dive into different global histories, heritages, and cultures.   

Featured Program: Summer Ancient + Modern Japan (Kyoto, Japan

Dating back to 794 AD and known as the cultural capital of Japan, Kyoto is an incredible place to learn more about both ancient and modern Japanese culture. As you take fascinating study abroad courses, you’ll visit historic and present-day landmarks, improve your Japanese language skills, and more.  

Read More: The 5 Best Things to Do in Kyoto  

Program details:  

• Length: Six weeks 
  • Credit: 6-7 per Block semester hours/9-10.5 per Block quarter hours  
  • Costs: $6,950 

kyoto shrine students selfie

Best Cities to Study Humanities & Social Sciences Abroad  

Any study abroad city guarantees an exciting exploration of humanities and social sciences, but we do consider our programs in the cities below some of the best ones: 

Political Science 

Take your passion for political science abroad! While overseas, you’ll explore big topics, like what drives change in governments on a global scale, and even meet those who’ve lived through such monumental shifts. No matter where you study abroad, you’ll develop skills that will help you thrive in the political science field.   

Featured Program: Summer in Berlin (Berlin, Germany)  

As the capital of Germany, Berlin has a lot to offer. From its innovative startup scene and vibrant arts landscape, you’ll get a unique look at the country’s rich and complex history as well as its modern perspectives. Studying political science here will be a rewarding experience.  

Read More: 5 Reasons to Study Abroad in Germany 

Program details:  

• Length: Six weeks 
  • Credit: 3-4 per Session semester hours/4.5-6 Session quarter hours  
  • Costs: $6,950  

berlin OC class

Best Cities to Study Political Science  

There are many excellent cities to study political science abroad, including these: 

Law & Legal Studies  

Gain a global perspective on your legal studies when you study abroad. Our programs span all types of law, including international, business mergers and acquisitions, labor, social welfare, and even legal ethics.  

Featured Program: Business + Culture (London, England)  

Take your law and legal studies to England’s historic capital, London. The city’s packed history and global impact will provide unique insight into the country’s legal system. While you tackle your legal study abroad courses, you’ll explore this fantastic city known for its arts and theater scene, world-renowned sites and landmarks, and more.  

Program details:  

• Length: 16 weeks 
  • Credit: 12-16 semester hours/18-24 quarter hours  
  • Costs: $20,950 

london student temple visit

Best Cities to Study Law & Legal Studies Abroad 

In addition to London, check out some of our other interesting international cities to study law and legal studies:  

STEM Fields  

As a STEM-related major, you know how important it is to get hands-on experience and work alongside your peers and professionals in the field. That’s why studying STEM abroad is the perfect opportunity; it’s a balance between fascinating study abroad courses and real-world experiential learning. We consider STEM programs to have some of the best courses to study abroad.  

Featured Program: Sustainability + the Environment (Monteverde, Costa Rica)  

In addition to taking fascinating study abroad courses relating to Costa Rica’s sustainability efforts and environmental issues, in this program, you’ll participate in activities on local farms, natural reserves, field stations, and more in Monteverde.  

Program details:  

• Length: 16 weeks 
  • Credit: 16-17 semester hours/24-25.5 quarter hours  
  • Costs: $19,950 

student monteverde rainforest

Best Cities to Study STEM Fields Abroad 

Take a look at some of our other options for an exciting STEM study abroad adventure: 

Visual & Performing Arts 

Take your interest in visual and performing arts to the next level with a study abroad program. You’ll get to see the many creative ways cultures express their identities, guaranteeing a fantastic look at the importance of visual and performing arts around the world. 

Featured Program: Arts, Architecture, and Design (Florence, Italy)  

What better place to take your visual and performing arts studies than to the birthplace of the Renaissance? In beautiful Florence, Italy, you’ll get to dive into a variety of visual and performing arts study abroad courses including art, architecture, design, urban studies, and more.  

You’ll also get to explore Florence and feast your eyes on art by Michelangelo and da Vinci, travel to the region’s rolling hills and surrounding cities, and more.  

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to Studying Abroad in Florence  

Program details:  

• Length: 15 weeks 
  • Costs: $19,950 

florence students visit city center

Best Cities to Study Visual & Performing Arts Abroad 

Beyond Florence, consider some of these other exciting study abroad cities when you take your visual and performing arts studies global:  

Find Your Area of Study 

When debating what subjects can you study abroad, know you can explore just about any discipline you want with CIEE’s many diverse study abroad programs. An adventure awaits!  

EXPLORE AREAS OF STUDY