Information for term Summer Arabic Language
Application deadline, and cost information.
The application deadline has passed.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: May 26 – Jul 26, 2019 (9 weeks)
- Credit: 10 semester hours / 15 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2020
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: April 1, 2020
- Dates: May 31 – Jul 24, 2020 (8 weeks)
- Credit: 10 semester hours / 15 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
Put your learning of Arabic on fast-forward in the heart of Amman’s traditional Eastern district. In a city where spectacular Roman ruins share the landscape with Westernized districts dotted with cafes and galleries, you’ll build on coursework by conversing in homes, workplaces, and among new friends, increasing your understanding of Jordanian society day by day. From the maze-like downtown to the many exotic souks, minarets, mosques, and coffeehouses, you’ll get a complete Middle Eastern experience in this unforgettable summer.
Travel to Petra
and Wadi Rum, world-famous archaeological and cultural treasures.
Step back centuries
with a visit to awesome sites like the Roman Theatre.
Learn to prepare
tasty Middle Eastern dishes like ‘Magloubeh’ and other local specialties.
hills form the main cityscape7
spectator capacity at the Roman Theater6,000
university students (and growing)280K+
Location & CultureClick to Open
Despite its famous ruins, the capital of Jordan has plenty of cosmopolitan character. One minute you’re atop the highest of Amman’s seven foremost hills, where the ancient Citadel gives spectacular views all around – and a fascinating look back to Bronze Age. Later the same day, you’re window shopping on trendy Rainbow Street after a tasty meal at a restaurant with sidewalk tables. Wherever you are, you’ll see why Amman has a well-earned reputation for hospitality.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Deepen your understanding of Jordanian cultural with visits to museums, archeological treasures, and cultural sites.
- Explore beyond the city with a one-day trips to noted historical sites, such as Madaba, famous for its Byzantine-era churches.
- Travel overnight to Petra – an ancient city elaborately carved from stony cliffs – and Wadi Rum, where ancient inscriptions are tucked among spectacular arid arches, cliffs, caverns, and gorges.
- Learn and unwind with films, concerts, conferences, and many more local activities.
- As you gain proficiency in Arabic, you’ll be encouraged to practice in everyday settings – getting coffee, visiting a market, meeting locals.
- Converse with Peer Language Assistants, Jordanian students eager to help you practice your skills.
- Opt to live with a host family for additional opportunities to build your confidence.
Program BlogsClick to Open
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestays: Live with a Jordanian host family and immerse yourself in the local language and culture. Expect to follow curfews and local decorum, which are part of Jordanian life.
Shared Apartments: Students may also choose to live with other CIEE visiting students in apartments. According to local custom and for your comfort and safety, apartments allow limited visitors and set quiet hours.
Homestays: Students in homestays eat two meals a day and most meals on weekends with their families.
Shared Apartments: Students who live in apartment are responsible for their own meals, which are not included in the program fee. All students are responsible for lunches.
Where You'll Study
Based in a traditional neighborhood, this location allows students plenty of opportunities to interact with local residents and get to key institutions and sites with ease.
What People are Saying
"I studied abroad in the past with another organization. CIEE is so much more organized and just better in general in terms of value for money. Wouldn't recommend any other company."Student, Summer 2018
"The program was well organized and the professors were phenomenal"Student, Summer 2018
"Honestly, the professors were the best part of the program and were truly invested in ensuring that every student was learning"Student, Summer 2018
"Teachers were amazing and fully invested in the success of students"Student, Summer 2018
Like what you're seeing so far?
Program DetailsClick to Open
What you need to knowThe program details
This nine-week summer program allows students to advance their Arabic language skills while immersing themselves in Jordanian culture. All students are required to take both Modern Standard Arabic and Colloquial Jordanian Arabic, following an onsite placement exam during orientation. Language courses are taught by experienced CIEE Amman language instructors. In-class work is augmented with co-curricular visits to the city’s rich variety of cultural institutions and organizations relevant to the course offerings.
CIEE Amman is located in a traditional neighborhood, which allows students plenty of opportunities to interact with local residents and get to know key institutions and sites with ease.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.5.
0-6 semesters of college-level Arabic (or equivalent)
Summer: Early June to late July.
- Total credit, session: 10 semester/15 quarter hours
Students take Modern Standard Arabic and Jordanian Colloquial Arabic. Students with some language experience take a placement exam upon arrival and are then assigned to the appropriate class level. Students are tested at the end of the session to gauge progress.
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
Summer 2019 CoursesClick to Open
Summer Intensive Modern Standard Arabic
Students are placed into the appropriate Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) level based on the results of a language exam taken during orientation and prior experience studying Arabic. The exam tests how well you can apply what you’ve learned in Arabic so far and is not based on progression through any particular Arabic textbook. In addition to the regular classroom, students also have access to instructors for regular office hours. Contact hours: 105. Credit: 7 semester/10.5 quarter hours.
Colloquial Jordanian Arabic
Essential for functioning in everyday life, Colloquial Jordanian Arabic is the language of spoken communication and is used in domestic, intimate, and informal settings in the home, the workplace, and among friends and acquaintances. These courses introduce students to the grammar and vocabulary of the Jordanian dialect and build on the instruction provided in the Modern Standard Arabic language course. They include intensive portions during orientation to impart basic survival skills, then continue with regular classroom sessions. Contact hours: 45. Credit: 3 semester/4.5 quarter hours.
REQUIRED CIEE COURSES
- ARAB 1501 AMJO: Summer Intensive Modern Standard Arabic Beginning I
- ARAB 1502 AMJO: Summer Intensive Modern Standard Arabic Beginning II
- ARAB 2501 AMJO: Summer Intensive Modern Standard Arabic Intermediate I
- ARAB 2502 AMJO: Summer Intensive Modern Standard Arabic Intermediate II
- ARAB 3501 AMJO: Summer Intensive Modern Standard Arabic Advanced I
- ARAB 3502 AMJO: Summer Internsive Modern Standard Arabic Advanced II
- ARAB 3503 AMJO: Summer Intensive Modern Standard Arabic, Advanced III
- ARAB 1003 JORD: Jordanian Colloquial Arabic Beginning I
- ARAB 2003 JORD: Colloquial Jordanian Arabic Intermediate I
- ARAB 3003 JORD: Colloquial Jordanina Arabic Advanced I
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to Jordanian culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
No Hidden Fees
Fees & Housing
|Summer 2019 9 weeks||Deadline Passed||May 26, 2019||Jul 26, 2019||
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $6,393 **
Housing = $1,390 ***
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $8,250
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $400
International Airfare = $1,350
Local Transportation = $150
Books & Supplies = $100
Visa Fees = $188
Personal expenses = $1,200Total Estimated Costs = $3,388
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $8 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, institutional and MSI grants, and Gilman Go Global Grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
*** includes two meals a day (breakfast and one hot meal) for students in homestays; meals are not included for students in apartments
|Summer 2020 8 weeks||Apr 1, 2020||May 31, 2020||Jul 24, 2020|
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.