Living From My Backpack: A Guide to Items I Never Go Without

Summer Arabic Language

Alexa B.

Hello, all! Today I will be going over 5 things that NEVER leave my side here in Jordan, and I believe that these can be made applicable to most study abroad experiences. Of course, whatever you feel most comfortable with carrying on your person from day to day is ultimately up to you, but I aim to provide some insight into making daily life as effcient as possible through the items we keep with us.

In no particular order, here are 5 things I keep with me at all times to maximize my own comfort and productivity while studying abroad.

1.  Charging cables along with a charging converter: Whether you are in class, at a cafe, or even at home, having the ability to charge your electronics (especially your phone and  WiFi box) is ideal. I don't go anywhere without my iPhone charging cable, my Wifi box charging cable, and my converter. The converter will allow you to either insert the cable directly into it and then be plugged into the wall, or insert the cable into an American wall plug and then insert that into the converter and then the wall. 

2. Your WiFi Box: I could write an entire post on WiFi boxes. They will 100% become your best friend, as they allow you to utilize personal hotspot data from a small box with a SIM card charged with wireless data. The box helps us avoid international data charges that can become sky-high depending on your mobile carrier. 

3. Passport: This one is very much reliant on personal preference, but I found that carrying my passport on my made day to day life easier for me. For example, if you decide to travel on a bus trip for a weekend getaway, your passport will need to be seen when you purchase your ticket. Simply, it is the most important form of identification while abroad, and you will never know when you might need it. 

4. WATER: All caps and bold font...but I'm really not being dramatic. It is critical to keep yourself hydrated all of the time, and if you are studying abroad in a desert climate, you need to be drinking even more water each day. When I first arrived in Jordan I purchased a reusbale water bottle from the supermarket (RIP to my Egypt World Cup water bottle that fell out of my bag as I was getting into a taxi) and that worked very well. 

5. Jordanian dinars + coins: While here in Jordan, you will find that paying for taxi rides, street food, and convient store items most commonly must be paid for in cash. For time's sake and for the sake of people not always having the available change when you decide to break a 50 JD bill, break the larger bills at places like supermarkets that will always be able to provide all of your change. You will then have the change to quickly and easily purchase snacks and street food/drink, pay for taxis, etc. 

I hope this piece is helpful for any upcoming students who happen to read it! It's always a great privilege to reach out to upcoming students and readers so that things may be a bit easier on this incredible adventure!