Study Abroad in Cape Town
College Study Abroad
Explore Cape Town, South Africa
Juxtaposed against stunning mountains and seascapes is a developing nation striving for innovative solutions to solve vast economic, political, and social challenges.
Study Tours & Cultural Excursions
Every CIEE semester program has frequent cultural excursions and a multi-day study tour uniquely designed to complement the program’s academics and enhance students’ cultural immersion. In Cape Town, past study tours and excursions have included:
- Visits to the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, built on top of the docks at the Port of Cape Town
- Cooking lessons for traditional foods from the Cape Malay, isiXhosa, and Afrikaans
- Dance lessons with ethnic groups like Zulu, Ndebele, and Shangaan
- Exploring iconic sites like Cape Peninsula, the Cape Flats, Robben Island, Table Mountain, and cultural hubs like Bo Kaap, Grabouw and District Six
- Study tours to different regions, like Johannesburg or Durban
- Open Campus Block Programs offer multi-day tours, designed to complement your academics and enhance your cultural immersion - check out all the opportunities!
WHERE STUDENTS STUDY
CIEE Global Institute – Cape Town
Our Global Institute in Cape Town is part of the CIEE Global Institute Network. CIEE Cape Town is located in the Rondebosch district, near the University of Cape Town campus.
University of Cape Town (UCT)
Established as South African College in 1829, UCT is internationally recognized as Africa’s leading research university, with beautiful grounds and attractive buildings. The UCT campus includes a range of commercial, medical, recreational, and sporting facilities.
INTERNSHIPS & VOLUNTEERING
Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer. In Cape Town, students can volunteer to tutor students in English and math, work on AIDS/HIV projects, and mentor troubled teens.