EAT, DRINK, EXPLORE: CAPE TOWN

Photo for blog post EAT, DRINK, EXPLORE: CAPE TOWN

EAT

If you’re looking to pinpoint South Africa’s national dish, here’s a helpful tip: there isn’t one. Cape Town’s multi-cultural heritage boasts British, French, and Indian influences, making this South African port city’s cuisine quite diverse. Fish and chips, barbecued meats, and sushi, are common menu items. However, a classic dish not to be missed is Bunny Chow. Bunny Chow draws on the country’s Indian influence and ironically (and thankfully!) doesn’t contain any rabbit. It is essentially a bread bowl filled with flavorful curry, prepared with lamb, beef, chicken, or minced vegetables. It’s quite rich and filling – best to share a serving with a friend!

DRINK

When in South Africa, do as the Capetonians do and indulge in a cup of rooibos. Rooibos (meaning “red bush”) is a rare herb found in South Africa that is traditionally brewed into tea. Rooibos is non-caffeinated and high in antioxidants, with a taste and color reminiscent of hibiscus tea. Drinking rooibos regularly reportedly has numerous health benefits, including improving blood pressure and circulation, treating and preventing diabetes, boosting bone health, preventing cancer, and aiding in weight loss. Give this red, earthy tea a try plain, or flavored with milk, honey, or sugar to taste.

EXPLORE

Cape Town has no shortage of incredible beaches and beautiful landscapes, but there is only one place in the world where you can see African Penguins up close: Boulders Beach. Boulders Beach is part of the Table Mountain National Park Marine Protected Area. Here, the beaches are safe and clean and contain measures to protect the penguin colony, especially their nesting area and chicks. Since African Penguins are classified as an endangered species, you’re not allowed to feed or touch them. You can take a stroll on the winding boardwalk and get many Insta-worthy photos.

Search programs in Cape Town!