Study Abroad in Beijing
College Study Abroad
Explore Beijing, China
Beijing is not only the center of activity in China, but also a reflection of China’s long and evolving history. Amongst its 22 million inhabitants sit some of the nation’s most culturally important sites, like The Forbidden City and The Great Wall.
Study Tours & Cultural Excursions
Every CIEE semester program has frequent cultural excursions and a multi-day study tour uniquely designed to complement the program’s academics and enhance students’ cultural immersion. In Beijing, past study tours and excursions have included:
- Long weekends to alluring destinations like Xi’an, Hangzhou, or Nanjing
- Visits to fascinating sites loaded with history, like Tiananmen Square and The Forbidden City
- Trips to the birthplace of Confucius in Qufu to examine traditional Chinese philosophy; the bustling port city Dalian to explore urbanization; or a village in northern Shanxi province to dig into the environment and rural governance
- Tours of the Thirteen Tombs of the Ming Dynasty, the lavish and elaborate burial sites of thirteen Ming emperors, which have been designated as part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Visits to the 798 Art Zone or Dashanzi Art District, a complex of 50-year-old decommissioned military factory buildings boasting a unique architectural style that blends aesthetic and functionality in rapidly growing cities
Where Students Study
Conveniently located at Peking University.
Peking University (PKU)
Founded in 1898, prestigious PKU has a long tradition of scholarly excellence and political activism. PKU focuses on advanced research in the natural and social sciences. The campus, previously an imperial garden in the Qing Dynasty, hosts 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
Minzu University of China (MUC)
Minzu University of China is one of the most prestigious and respected universities in China in ethnology, anthropology, ethnic economies, regional economies, religion studies, history, dance, and fine arts.
Internships & Volunteering
Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer. In Beijing, students can connect with Chinese people and give back by preparing meals at a soup kitchen or helping environmental activists raise awareness among the public. In addition, full-year students can intern at a variety of businesses during their second semester.
Study Abroad Programs in Beijing
Currency Spoken Languages Available Transportation Famous Local Climate Places to Explore Airport Social Norms What to Pack
Feet, subway, bus
Zhang Ziyi – actress and model, internationally recognized for her role in Ang Lee’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
Long humid summers, cold dry winters
Nearly 370 miles of the Great Wall of China is located in Beijing (mainly suburban areas)
Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK)
It’s considered rude to stand your chopsticks vertically in your bowl
Backpack, comfortable shoes
Places to Explore
What to Pack