Top 6 Chinese Language Study Abroad Programs

Chinese Language + Asian Studies

Are you fascinated by Chinese language and culture? If so, you’re in the right place!  

Read on as we list our Top 6 Chinese language study abroad programs:

1. Chinese Language + Asian Studies (Taipei)
  2. Summer Accelerated Chinese Language (Taipei)
  3. Intensive Chinese Language (Beijing)
  4. Summer Intensive Chinese Language (Beijing)
  5. Accelerated Chinese Language (Shanghai)
  6. Summer Accelerated Chinese Language (Shanghai)

Taipei  

Taipei, the capital of Taiwan, is simply incredible. Taiwan is known officially as the Republic of China, and is located off the east coast of China.  

During your travels, you’ll dive deep into Taiwanese culture with visits to significant places like the National Palace Museum, Taipei 101, many historical temples, and the lively Raohe Street Night Market, where you can indulge in some of the best Taiwanese foods. While you explore essential cultural sites, don’t forget to trek to the country’s varied natural landscapes, including forests, foothills, and breathtaking mountains.  

taipei taiwan temple ocean

Read More: Taiwan Study Abroad: The Ultimate Guide  

Chinese Language + Asian Studies

Taipei is a wonderful place for a Chinese language study abroad program. With our new and exciting Chinese Language + Asian Studies, you’re guaranteed to refine your language-learning skills and learn more about this fascinating location.  

Program details:  

• Length: 16 weeks  
  • Credit: 12-18 semester hours/18-27 quarter hours
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
  • Costs: $19,850
  • Featured Course: Contemporary Taiwanese Society at National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU)  
  • Excursion Highlight: Travel to one of Taiwan’s remarkable national parks

Summer Accelerated Chinese Language  

Ideal for those with already-existing Chinese language skills, our Summer Accelerated Chinese Language study abroad program in beautiful Taipei is an exciting way to perfect your Mandarin and immerse yourself in Taiwanese culture.  

Program details:  

• Length: Eight weeks
  • Credit: 10 semester hours/15 quarter hours
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
  • Costs: $8,450
  • Featured Course: Chinese – Accelerated Intermediate I  
  • Excursion Highlight: Take trips to other cities in Taiwan like Taitung or Kaohsiung City

Beijing

As one of the world’s liveliest cities and serving as the capital of China, you’re in for a packed adventure in Beijing. But Beijing isn’t just a bustling modern metropolis – this city is full of ancient history and is home to six UNESCO World Heritage sites, including the Imperial Palaces of the Ming and Qing Dynasties, the Temple of Heaven, and more. And what better place to learn Chinese abroad than in the country’s capital?  

beijing great wall sunset

Intensive Chinese Language  

Immerse yourself in Chinese language at CIEE’s prestigious partner school, Peking University (PKU). While you’ll significantly improve your language skills, you’ll also learn more about modern-day and ancient Chinese culture. 

Program details:  

• Length: 15 weeks
  • Credit: 16 semester hours/24 quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Costs: $19,850
  • Featured Course: Language and Culture Practicum  
  • Excursion Highlight: Go on a weekend trip to magnificent Nanjing  

Summer Intensive Chinese Language  

We consider this one of the best Chinese language study abroad programs. Not only will you get to spend your summer in exciting Beijing, but you’ll also improve your Chinese, one of the most spoken languages in the world, and travel to iconic global locations like the Great Wall and the Forbidden City.  

Program details:  

• Length: Eight weeks
  • Credit: 10-12 semester hours/15-18 quarter hours
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Costs: $7,750
  • Excursion Highlight: See contemporary art and musical and theatric performances in Beijing  

Shanghai

The most populous city in China and another lively metropolis, Shanghai is magnificent. With its innovative modern culture and exciting history, you’re in for a unique exploration of old and new in this fascinating city. You’ll visit places like the Yu Garden, Shanghai World Financial Center, and Nanjing Road – one of the busiest streets in the world, also featuring some incredible shopping! Shanghai promises to be an amazing Chinese study abroad experience.  

shanghai student abroad skyline

Read More: 3 Best Cities for Study Abroad in Greater China  

Accelerated Chinese Language

With this exciting Chinese language study abroad program, you can advance your Chinese language skills by at least two levels as you explore China’s global hub of culture, commerce, and finance.  

Program details:  

• Length: 15 weeks
  • Credit: 15 semester hours/22.5 quarter hours
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
  • Costs: $19,850
  • Featured Course: Changing Nature of Business in China  
  • Excursion Highlight: Travel to Suzhou, often referred to as the Venice of the East for its many canals and beautiful gardens

Summer Accelerated Chinese Language

Another program to help improve your Mandarin, you’ll also get to take your learning outside the classroom with language clinics, cultural activities, and many volunteer opportunities. This Chinese study abroad program will be one to remember.  

Program details:  

• Length: Eight weeks
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
  • Costs: $7,950
  • Excursion Highlight: Explore historic Xi’an, an ancient capital city on the Silk Road and the burial place of China’s first emperor

Take Your Studies to Greater China

If you’re passionate about learning Chinese, CIEE’s got you covered with some pretty incredible Chinese language study abroad programs! All these programs guarantee not only improved language skills, but a totally culturally immersive experience. Take the next step today!

EXPLORE GREATER CHINA STUDY ABROAD