Study Abroad in Monteverde
COLLEGE STUDY ABROAD
Explore Monteverde, Costa Rica
Monteverde plays host to Costa Rica’s treasured rain forest, where a staggering number of species – including pumas, monkeys, quetzal, and the endangered three wattled bellbird – are readily on display, proving the perfect location for studies in sustainability and conservation.
Every CIEE semester program has frequent cultural excursions uniquely designed to complement the program’s academics and enhance students’ cultural
In Monteverde, past study tours and excursions have included:
- Exploring the lush rainforest of Corcovado National Park
- Traveling to Santa Rosa National Park, famous for its rare seasonally-dry forest
- Visiting Carara National Park, home of the country’s largest population of scarlet macaws
- Taking guided tours of organic coffee and pineapple plantations
- Visiting Bocas del Toro Islands of Panama
- Traveling down the Rio San Juan De Nicaragua to the Indio Maiz Biological Reserve
- Hiking near Rincon de la Vieja Volcano
WHERE STUDENTS STUDY
Fully equipped with classrooms, computers, and library facilities, as well as indoor and outdoor common areas, to accommodate experiential and traditional learning.
INTERNSHIPS & VOLUNTEERING
Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer.
Study Abroad Programs in Monteverde
Currency Spoken Languages Available Transportation Famous Local Climate Local Attraction Did You Know? Airport Social Norms What to Pack
Costa Rican Colón
Jonathan Moya – footballer who plays as a forward for Liga Deportiva Alajuelense
Warm year-round with temperatures between 63°F and 81°F
The Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve – nearly 9,000 acres of forest featuring hundreds of species of mammals, birds, butterflies, amphibians, reptiles, insects, arachnids, and plants
Costa Rica is home to more than 9,000 species of plants
Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO)
Removing floral or fauna from beaches and tropical areas is both shunned upon and illegal
Backpack, comfortable shoes, sunscreen, insect repellant, binoculars
Did You Know?
What to Pack