Study Abroad in Santiago, Chile
College Study Abroad
Explore Santiago, Chile
Seated at the base of the Andes Mountains and the edge of the Pacific coast, Santiago is perfectly situated not only for sunbathers and mountain climbers, but for those seeking higher education. Latin America’s finest universities reside in this stable and growing capital, as do the country’s biggest businesses.
HOW FAR TO…
- Valparaíso — 115 km/71 miles
- Rio de Janeiro — 3,711 km/2,305 miles
- Lima — 3,294 km/2,047 miles
- Buenos Aires — 1,455 km/904 miles
- Monteverde — 5,084 km/3,159 miles
- Barcelona — 11,152 km/6,929 miles
- London — 11,665 km/7,248 miles
WHERE STUDENTS STUDY
CIEE Global Institute – Santiago
Our Global Institute in Santiago is part of the CIEE Global Institute Network. Built into the core of the city, the Global Institute boasts spacious classrooms, comfortable lounge, quiet study areas, and common spaces to do coursework and get to know fellow students. Students will enjoy Parque Bustamante, cafés and restaurants, shops, and much more surrounded by the beauty of Cerro San Cristobal.
Universidad de Chile
Founded in 1842, Universidad de Chile is one of the oldest and best universities in Latin America and is recognized for its innovation in science, technology, social sciences, and arts. Notable alumni include Nobel Laureates Pablo Neruda and Gabriela Mistral.
University Diego Portales – School for Social Sciences and History
Since its foundation in 1982, the university has consistently been contributing to the implementation of social policies toward Chilean development. In turn, the university is recognized
as one of the best in the country. The Social Sciences and History School has four renowned majors: Social Sciences and Humanities, Sociology, Political Science, and History.
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Established in 1888, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (UC) is one of Chile’s oldest universities and one of the most recognized education institutions in Latin America.
WHERE YOU STAY
Seated at the base of the Andes Mountains and the edge of the Pacific coast, Santiago is perfectly situated not only for sunbathers and mountain climbers, but for those seeking higher education in world-famous universities. Latin America’s finest universities reside in this stable and growing capital as do the country’s biggest businesses. Students relish the asados (barbecues), beautiful neoclassical architecture, and the vibrant and affordable urban environment.
- Improve your language skills living with a local family. Private room, laundry and two meals a day included.
- Sunbathe on a Pacific beach or hike the Andes Mountains. In Santiago, it’s possible to do both in the same day!
- Get the inside scoop on local events, volunteer opportunities, and more from CIEE staff - ready to support you in your day-to-day life in Santiago.
- Enjoy nonstop activities at three local universities like film nights, local tours, and more.
- Take part in engaging classroom instruction, daily co-curricular activities, overnight study tours, and local excursions.
INTERNSHIPS & VOLUNTEERING
Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer. In Santiago, students can volunteer at local NGOs to support social policy, community service, and education. Students can also intern at social service organizations and NGOs that work in social policy, community service, and education.