10 Reasons to Study Abroad in London

Open Campus Block

London. The world’s foremost it city seems to have it all: world-class food, cutting-edge arts, the vast Tube transit, double-decker buses, iconic architecture, tea, and even a new king.  

This city is brimming with opportunity and action, so it makes total sense why studying abroad in London is so popular.  

If you’re leaning toward studying abroad in England’s capital, let us give you a nudge by discussing the top 10 benefits of studying abroad in London. And trust us, this list just scratches the surface. 

London Crowned Best City in the World for 2023 

Just in: This spectacular capital of capitals is now ranked the 2023 World’s Best City by place maker Resonance. A claim corroborated by the New York Times, Travel + Leisure, and Lifestyle Asia to name a few. In fact, this is the seventh year running that London has worn this particular crown, an accolade given based on factors such as travel, business and finance, the people, and more.  

And with that notable note, on to our list of 10 reasons why studying in London is a great idea. 

10 Reasons to Study Abroad in London 

#1: It offers world-class education. 

London’s educational system is world-renowned and includes several top universities, including CIEE partner schools: 

• Goldsmiths, University of London: Founded in 1891, Goldsmiths, University of London is a prominent London university known for teaching excellence and world-leading research. Located in the lively New Cross district in South East London, Goldsmiths offers a close-knit community with a great urban vibe. And, it’s a perfect spot to take in live music and the arts. 
  • University College London: Dating all the way back to 1826, University College London is a highly selective top-ranked U.K. university and is the largest college within the University of London. This institution was the first to admit students of any religion, social background, and gender. Today, nearly 40 percent of its students are international and hail from more than 140 countries. 
  • University of Westminster: The University of Westminster got its start in 1838 as Britain’s first polytechnic school. It is known for its innovative courses and teaching methods as well as its diversity, which includes 5,000 international students from 150 counties. The University of Westminster has four campuses in different parts of London, so if you attend this partner school expect a commute to classes and social clubs. But don’t worry, it’s easy to get around London. 

Which CIEE partner school you will study at depends on your program. Learn more about opportunities with CIEE London. 

study abroad students in london on a campus tour

#2: It’s one of the world’s most diverse cities. 

London is very multicultural. In fact, more than 300 languages are spoken within this singular city! What’s more, approximately one-third of Londoners were born abroad. Imagine that!  

Not only will you have the opportunity to meet people from all corners of the globe, but as an expat, you’ll also have no trouble fitting right in. The world is truly represented here. Another reason why London is a good place to study abroad. 

#3: London is an international hub. 

As one of the world’s most visited cities, it’s no surprise that London is widely seen as a global international hub. People are drawn to this great place for business, politics, media, arts, theater, fashion, food, history, and so much more.  

London is perfect for curious minds and ambitious students. And, if you’re interested in economics, post-Brexit London is a fascinating study of how to use a dipping currency to attract investment.  

#4: It boasts a rich history you just have to see. 

London’s history stretches back to the Roman Empire when it was founded as Londinium in A.D. 47. Study here and you will experience a culture with 2,000 years of rich history.  

See the famous Westminster Abbey, Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace, Big Ben, and lots more. You can even see history unfold with your own eyes by attending Parliament and watching the proceedings. Nice! 

study abroad student posing with famous landmark big ben

#5: London loves the night.  

When studying in London, you will have no trouble finding something to do with your evenings and late nights. Trust us. London is known for its vibrant nightlife.  

There is a seemingly limitless range of bars, clubs, and entertainment options of all kinds. Whether you're into live music, comedy, or dancing, you'll find plenty to keep you entertained in London. Just don’t forget to go to bed. 

# 6: It’s easy to get around.  

London's transportation system is widely considered one of the best in the world due to its comprehensive network of buses, trains, and underground trains known as the Tube. The system is extensive, covering much of the city and its suburbs, and is relatively easy to navigate. Additionally, the system is regularly updated with new technology, such as contactless payment options, making it even more convenient for locals, international students, and tourists to use.  

The city also has many bike-sharing schemes and walking paths, so getting around on foot or by bike is no problem. Additionally, London is well-connected to other major European cities via train, making it easy for international travelers to explore the broader region. 

#7: And, it’s just as easy to travel to other European destinations. 

Studying in London provides an exciting opportunity to travel and explore other parts of Europe, as the city is well connected by plane, train, and bus. Take a day trip to Paris or Brussels, just because! If you’ve got the time in your schedule, then it’s totally doable. Just make sure you’re back in class on Monday! 

4 study abroad students in london on a tour

#8: The food is as diverse as its residents. 

London has a diverse and delicious food scene, with cuisine available from all over the world. Sure, you should absolutely enjoy the city’s fish and chips, have a full English breakfast, and dine on a hearty shepherd’s pie. But just know that there are so many cuisines offered – some say 123 kinds – your tastebuds will never be bored while studying in London. 

Read More: How to Pack for a Semester Abroad in London

#9: London is a great sports town. 

If you like sports, then you’ll be right at home in London. This city loves football (maybe soccer to you), cricket, rugby, badminton, tennis, and the list goes on. In fact, London boasts more than a dozen professional football teams, the most of any city in the world. And don’t forget Wimbledon!  

#10: The study abroad opportunities are extraordinary.   

We know how amazing London is for studying abroad, which is why we offer 10 different ways for you to experience the World’s Best City for yourself. Choose from shorter J-term courses to full semester study abroad programs and even internships.  

CIEE offers the following study abroad programs in London: 

While here, you will stay at CIEE London, located in the heart of Bloomsbury, a neighborhood that features beautiful Georgian-style architecture, tons of cafes, and garden terraces. All of our London programs are complemented with day trips and excursions throughout the city and surrounding areas, including Oxford and Greenwich. 

London is calling! 

So, what do you think? Ready to see what it’s like to study abroad in London, aka the World’s Best City? Learn more about our London programs and make your study abroad dreams come true!