Eat, Drink, Explore: London

Arts+Humanities (Goldsmiths)

Photo for blog post Eat, Drink, Explore: London

EAT

While the exact location of the first fish and chip shop remains unclear, the earliest known shops opened in England in the 1860s, courtesy of Jewish immigrants from Spain and Portugal. By the 1930s, UK boasted over 35,000 fish and chip shops, all serving variations of fresh fish, fried in crispy, golden batter, paired with salty fried potatoes (“chips”). This simple, yet delicious combo is sold across England today. Discover why Brits consume 382 million meals from fish and chip shops every year!

DRINK

In the 1880s, afternoon tea was a fashionable social event for upper-class and society women. Donned in long gowns, gloves, and hats, ladies would drink tea in the drawing room between four and five o’clock. Today, afternoon tea is a quintessential English custom celebrated by all. When in London do as the Brits do and spend an hour with earl grey, lady grey, white peach, or green tea. Add milk, lemon, or sugar to taste and drink up!

EXPLORE

There are far too many must-sees in London to name just one, so consider buying a one-day hop-on, hop-off bus tour pass to discover all of London’s best sites. You can choose from 110 stops and take in famous London landmarks while a tour guide narrates your journey through this storied city. See it all – the London Eye, Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge, Westminster Abbey, and so many more iconic London attractions. Riding around in one of London’s classic double-decker buses is a fabulous way to take in the city!

Search programs in London!