Information for term January in London
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineNovember 1, 2019
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: November 1, 2019
- Dates: Dec 30, 2019 – Jan 20, 2020
- Credit: 3 semester hours / 4.5 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
London’s global impact in art, music, fashion, and literature is incomparable, but the city also has an active community policing policy. Explore its influential culture while gaining insight into the London’s value system and influence on Europe and the world.
Watch a performance
in Shakespeare’s Globe theater, a faithful reconstruction of the open-air playhouse designed in 1599.
Take a weekend excursion
to Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland.
Gain access to experts
in either the theater or security industry.
languages spoken in London250
artifacts in the British Museum in Bloomsbury7M
species of butterflies47
Location & CultureClick to Open
Home of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympics Games, London is a vibrant and cosmopolitan city. London is at the cutting edge of the arts scene and provides access to music, fashion, museums (which are all free!), comedy, and theater. There are abundant opportunities for enjoying London – with eight Royal Parks right in the heart of the city and more green space than any comparable city in the world.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Research the challenges facing the modern police force and debate whether London is safer than other world cities.
- Take daytrips to neighboring cities, such as Cambridge or Portsmouth.
- Visit Regent’s Park, the London Zoo, and Madame Tussauds Wax Museum.
- Enjoy a rock concert at the Wembley Arena or the symphony at Royal Albert Hall.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Housing will be in either a residence hall or shared apartments centrally located in Bloomsbury, Farringdon, or Kings Cross. Students will share twin or triple rooms.
No meals are provided in London, but students will have access to kitchen facilities to cook their own meals.
Where You'll Study
CIEE GLOBAL INSTITUTE – LONDON
Located within walking distance of the student accommodations in central London, near the King’s Cross St. Pancras Underground stations.
Like what you're seeing so far?request more information
Program DetailsClick to Open
What you need to knowThe program details
The CIEE Global Institute in the Bloomsbury neighborhood of central London is a spacious, welcoming facility with modern classrooms, an onsite café, a quiet study room, and comfortable common areas. Located near the University of London, the Global Institute has excellent transport links and is within easy access of the theaters of the West End and the shops and cafés of Covent Garden.
The January program offers a choice between two courses: Terrorism Security and Policing in the Metropolitan City or Contemporary British Theatre. Classes will include guest speakers, co-curricular visits to enhance the academic experience, and excursions to local landmarks such as the Tower of London and the British Museum, for example.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.5.
- Total credit, 3 semester/4.5 quarter hours
- Contact hours: 45
All students take one of the following courses:
- Terrorism Security and Policing in the Metropolitan City
- Contemporary British Theatre.
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
January 2020Click to Open
- SOCI 2010 LNEN: Terrorism, Security, and Policing in the Metropolitan City
- THES 3002 LNEN: Contemporary British Theatre
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates, Deadlines & FeesClick to Open
Dates, Deadlines & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
- Meals are not included
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation - an introduction to British culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city.
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
No Hidden Fees
Fees & Housing
|January 2020||Nov 1, 2019||Dec 30, 2019||Jan 20, 2020|
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Contact an Advisor
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.