Information for term Summer Comparative Public Health Systems I + II ( London + Amsterdam)
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2018
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: April 1, 2018
- Dates: May 21 – Jul 16, 2018 (8 weeks)
- Credit: 6 total credits semester hours / 9 total quarter hours quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
Embrace your inner jetsetter and explore issues of health care from British and Dutch perspectives. Begin your study abroad experience in London, to research the challenges facing the British National Health Service. Next, travel to Amsterdam, where you’ll investigate culturally sensitive issues like euthanasia, and global issues like elder care.
Enjoy a series of guest lectures and site visits that bring you into contact and conversation with professionals in the field.
Develop leadership skills on matters critical to health.
Develop ethical and evidence-based policy opinions by looking at public health through various societal lenses.
languages spoken in London300
cars in Amsterdam263K
rooms in the Palace of Westminster1,000
Location & CultureClick to Open
EXCURSIONS - LONDON
- From London, take a one-day trip to Oxford or Cambridge, exploring the beautiful old cities and parts of the world-famous Universities.
- Visit the famous Tower of London, the bastion located in the heart of the city.
- Explore London’s central sites in the City of Westminster, taking in vistas such as Buckingham Palace, Whitehall, St James’ Park, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, and the Palace of Westminster.
- During your stay in London, you’ll also go on an overnight trip to a location such as Wales, the north of England, Northern Ireland, Ireland, or Scotland.
- Explore London’s trendy districts such as Camden, Borough, and Shoreditch.
- Experience authentic Shakespeare at the Globe Theatre on the banks of the River Thames.
EXCURSIONS - AMSTERDAM
- From Amsterdam, take a one-day trip out into the countryside and visit an old medieval castle, a small authentic fisherman’s town, or small Dutch city with great history.
- Take an overnight trip to Rotterdam, The Hague, or Utrecht – each significant in its own right – and compare your observations to what you know of Amsterdam.
- Go on a bike tour through Amsterdam’s countryside.
- Attend an outside movie night at a popular Amsterdam city beach, a concert, a play, a flea market, or special exhibition in one of Amsterdam numerous museums.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Housing in London will be in either a residence hall or shared apartments centrally located in Bloomsbury, Farringdon or Kings Cross. Students will share twin or triple rooms.
In Amsterdam, students live in single rooms, and may have private or shared bathrooms and kitchens. Residence halls are a short commute by foot, bike, tram, or metro to CIEE. Housing is included in the study abroad program fee.
No meals are provided in either London or Amsterdam, but students will have access to kitchen facilities to cook their own meals.
Where You'll Study
CIEE GLOBAL INSTITUTE
London: Students get around by foot, bike, bus, or train. Amsterdam: Because the city is so compact, bicycles are the most convenient means of transportation, but it’s easy to get around by walking and taking public transportation too.
Like what you're seeing so far?request more information
What you need to knowThe program details
Qualified lecturers from the UK and The Netherlands teach the CIEE courses.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have an overall GPA of at least 2.5
- Credit: 6 semester/9 quarter hours
- Contact hours: 45 hours and 3 semester/4.5 quarter hours per session.
Students take one course during each session:
- Contemporary Challenges in Global Health
- Public Health in the Netherlands.
Summer Session I and II 2018Click to Open
Summer Session I and II 2017Click to Open
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
CIEE STUDY CENTER SYLLABI
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
In 2016, we awarded over 1,000 scholarships totaling more than $5 million, helping more students get on planes and live their dreams in faraway places than any other organization. This year's no different. In fact, every year we give this unrivaled amount of funding, because we’re on a mission to help YOU go abroad, too! Explore your options today.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates, Deadlines & FeesClick to Open
Dates, Deadlines & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Mandatory orientations – an introduction to London and Amsterdam culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
No Hidden Fees
|Summer Session I and II 2018 8 weeks|
|Apr 1, 2018|
|May 21, 2018|
|Jul 16, 2018|
Fees & Housing
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $4,918 **
Housing = $2,465
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $7,850
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $1,700
International Airfare = $2,200 †
Local Transportation = $300
Books & Supplies = $175
Personal expenses = $1,200Total Estimated Costs = $5,575
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $5 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, MSI grants, Gilman matching grants, and Pell matching grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
† round-trip based on U.S. East Coast departure; note that students will require a multi-destination ticket
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Contact an Advisor
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.