Information for term Summer Comparative Public Health Systems II + III ( London + Amsterdam)
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2018
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: April 1, 2018
- Dates: Jun 18 – Aug 12, 2018 (8 weeks)
- Credit: 6 total credits semester hours / 9 total quarter hours quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
What challenges face the British National Health Service after voting to leave the European Union? Have the Dutch found an ethical way to handle euthanasia? Find out, and prepare to lead change in public health with a summer adventure in London and Amsterdam!
Explore distinctively different
approaches to Western public health, illuminated by site visits and expert guest lectures.
the political discourse surrounding “free” healthcare.
Get an insider’s look
at iconic sites in London and Amsterdam, and beyond.
nationalities in Amsterdam180
languages spoken in London250
artifacts in the Bloomsbury British Museum7 M
Location & CultureClick to Open
Home of the 2012 Olympic Games, London is a vibrant and cosmopolitan city. London is at the cutting edge of the arts scene and provides access to music, fashion, museums (which are all free!), comedy, and theater. There are abundant opportunities for enjoying summer in London – with eight Royal Parks right in the heart of the city and more green space than any comparable city in the world.
Wondering why it’s so easy to feel at home in Amsterdam? Chalk it up to “gezellig.” Roughly translated, that’s Dutch for cozy – a sensibility commonly associated with this city. Compact and easy to navigate by bike or on foot, Amsterdam houses more than 6,000 buildings from the 16th century forward, protected for historic importance. It’s loaded with charm and treasures, from gabled houses shoulder to shoulder along the canals, to masterpieces by Van Gogh, Rembrandt, and Matisse.
EXCURSIONS - LONDON
- Explore Oxford or Cambridge, beautiful old cities with world-famous universities, during a day trip.
- See the famous Tower of London, in the heart of the city.
- Explore central sites in the City of Westminster, home of Buckingham Palace, Whitehall, St James’ Park, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, and the Palace of Westminster.
- Broaden your view of the UK with an overnight trip Wales, the north of England, Northern Ireland, Ireland, or Scotland.
- Browse the burgeoning urban markets, popular in London’s trendy Camden, Borough, and Shoreditch districts.
- Experience authentic Shakespeare at the Globe Theatre on the banks of the River Thames.
EXCURSIONS - AMSTERDAM
- Venture into the countryside to see a medieval castle, an authentic fishing town, or a small Dutch city with a rich history.
- See more of the Netherlands with an overnight trip to Rotterdam, Maastricht, or Dordrecht.
- Soak up Dutch culture with special dinners, bike tours, movie night at a city beach, concerts, flea market visits, or special museum exhibitions.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Housing will be in either a residence hall or shared apartments centrally located in Bloomsbury, Farringdon or Kings Cross. Students will share twin or triple rooms.
No meals are provided in London but students will have access to kitchen facilities to cook their own meals.
Where You'll Study
CIEE GLOBAL INSTITUTE LONDON
Near the King’s Cross St. Pancras Underground station.
CIEE STUDY CENTER AMSTERDAM
Steps from the University of Amsterdam, on the eastern side of the city center.
An exceptionally walkable and bike-friendly city, Amsterdam also has easily accessible public trams, busses, and metros.
Like what you're seeing so far?request more information
What you need to knowThe program details
This two-session summer program allows students to study two of the world’s leading health care systems, and build a foundation in public health. In London, students connect with health care professionals and researchers, visit sites that demonstrate the impact of cultural dynamics on the delivery of public healthcare, and evaluate global trends and agendas in public health. In Amsterdam, guest discuss the health effects of drugs and alcohol, euthanasia, and home birth. Students tour the city’s public health services, visit a home for the elderly, and more.
In London, students take classes at the CIEE Global Institute, in the heart of Bloomsbury, one of central London’s most vibrant and student-populated neighborhoods. The campus has easy access to one of the city’s largest Royal Parks, restaurants and cafés, shops, and more.
In Amsterdam, students attend class at or near the CIEE Study Center, in the eastern side of the city center, steps from Amsterdam’s Zoo and adjacent to the University of Amsterdam.
Courses are taught by qualified lecturers from the United Kingdom and the Netherlands.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.5.
- Total credit, semester: 6 semester/9 quarter hours
- Contact hours: 45; credit – 3 semester/4.5 quarter hours
Students one course per session in this order:
- Contemporary Challenges in Global Health
- Public Health in the Netherlands.
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
Summer 2018 CoursesClick to Open
Sessions II & III
- (GI) PUBH 3006 LNEN / INRE 3008 LNEN: Contemporary Challenges in Global Health
- PUBH 3001 NETU: Public Health in the Netherlands
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
In 2016, we awarded over 1,000 scholarships totaling more than $5 million, helping more students get on planes and live their dreams in faraway places than any other organization. This year's no different. In fact, every year we give this unrivaled amount of funding, because we’re on a mission to help YOU go abroad, too! Explore your options today.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates, Deadlines & FeesClick to Open
Dates, Deadlines & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
No Hidden Fees
|Summer Session II and III 2018 8 weeks|
|Apr 1, 2018|
|Jun 18, 2018|
|Aug 12, 2018|
Fees & Housing
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $4,918 **
Housing = $2,465
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $7,850
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $1,700
International Airfare = $2,200 †
Local Transportation = $300
Books & Supplies = $175
Personal expenses = $1,200Total Estimated Costs = $5,575
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $5 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, MSI grants, Gilman matching grants, and Pell matching grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
† round-trip based on U.S. East Coast departure; note that students will require a multi-destination ticket
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Contact an Advisor
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.