Information for term Summer Global Internship Language Immersion
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineFebruary 15, 2020
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: February 15, 2020
- Dates: May 18 – Jul 13, 2020 (8 weeks)
- Credit: 6 semester hours / 9 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
Spend the summer in a vibrant seaside city working with local and international businesses, contributing to some of Spain’s most successful organizations. Through coursework, language training, homestays, company visits, and an internship, you’ll increase your understanding of the international working environment while improving your Spanish communication skills.
with a startup, local business, international organization, or NGO.
Live with a Spanish family
and immerse yourself in local culture.
Hear from a variety of guest speakers
with different areas of expertise.
Camp Nou seats, the largest football stadium in Europe99,354
visitors per year8.2M
Location & CultureClick to Open
The capital of Catalonia, a region in northeastern Spain with its own history, culture, and language, Barcelona is nestled between mountains and the Mediterranean Sea. Its idyllic location is just one of the things that attracts millions of visitors each year. Walk through the city and observe 2,000 years of architectural history - from Roman remains to a network of narrow streets in the Old Town – and how they contrast to the ultramodern showpieces that continue to redesign its skyline.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Visit business sites, art and history museums, and monuments.
- Go on tours of the historical district.
- Enjoy gastronomy-based activities such as eating chocolate con churros or tapas with local friends, or a cooking session.
- Indulge your adventurous side with a hike in the mountains.
- Take day trips to places like Sitges, the Dalí Museum in Figueres or the Roman ruins in the city of Tarragona, among others.
- Volunteering. Although there are no formal community service activities on this program, volunteer opportunities can be arranged by CIEE staff.
- Internship. A for-credit internship is at the core of this program. Based on your experience, interests, and current studies, you’ll be placed with a startup, local business, international organization, or NGO, where you’ll spend 100 hours interning, gaining hands-on professional experience and practicing your Spanish language skills.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestays: Students live in Spanish homestays, either alone or with another CIEE student (in individual rooms). Students in homestays will have their laundry done for them once a week.
Shared Apartments: Students can live in a shared apartment (typically in double rooms). Students share laundry facilities and kitchens.
Homestay: Breakfast and dinner will be provided at home.
Shared Apartments: Meals are not included.
Where You'll Study
Just minutes by public transportation from homestays, shared apartments, and the residence hall.
A maximum of 30 minutes by public transportation, from homestays and shared apartments, to CIEE Barcelona.
Well connected with students’ housing and the city center by public transportation.
Like what you're seeing so far?
Program DetailsClick to Open
What you need to knowThe program details
This program is designed to help students expand their Spanish vocabulary, immerse themselves linguistically and professionally in a new culture, and gain practical, on-the-job experience. Students take an intensive advanced Spanish course during the first four weeks of the program and intern part-time. During the last four weeks of the program, students focus solely on the internship and complete 100-120 hours of on-site work in total.
While the internship is considered part-time by academic standards, students will feel like a full-time intern during the second half of the program. The internship is complemented by academic work and weekly seminars on topics such as public speaking and leadership.
Students intern in a local company. Projects have included: helping to improve logistics and customer relations; building finance reports in Excel; analyzing competitors; developing marketing plans; auditing local companies; and more.
The internship selection process accounts for each student’s language ability, job skills, background, and professional attitude. Students’ internship placements will be confirmed in advance of traveling. Because local firms make final selections, internships in a particular company are not guaranteed.
CIEE Barcelona is located in two adjoining historic buildings on Passatge Permanyer, near Passeig de Gràcia and Plaza Catalunya, Barcelona’s main square. This historic passageway provides a quiet haven in the city center and houses CIEE classrooms, a computer lab, and student lounges.
Students complete their internship seminar and placement in Spanish. Students agree to speak only Spanish to encourage language and cultural acquisition.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students must have an overall GPA of at least 2.5.
4 semesters of college-level Spanish (or equivalent)
Total credit: 6 U.S. semester/9 quarter credits per session
- CIEE courses: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours
- CIEE Internship: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 15 seminar hours, 100 internship placement hours
Language of Instruction
- One Internship Seminar course
- One Advanced Spanish language course
- Internship includes a weekly seminar in Spanish
- Advanced Spanish language class will take place during the first four weeks of the program
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
Summer 2019 CoursesClick to Open
REQUIRED CIEE COURSES
Summer 2020 CoursesClick to Open
Required CIEE Courses
- SPAN 3001 BASP: Advanced Spanish
- INSH 3801 BASP (SPAN): Internship Seminar (in Spanish)
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Orientation – an introduction to Barcelona culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
No Hidden Fees
Fees & Housing
|Summer 2020 8 weeks||Feb 15, 2020||May 18, 2020||Jul 13, 2020||
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $3,733
Housing = $2,150 **
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $6,350
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $1,500
International Airfare = $1,200 †
Local Transportation = $250
Books & Supplies = $30
Visa Fees = $0
Personal expenses = $1,400
Other = $300Total Estimated Costs = $4,680
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $8 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, institutional and MSI grants, and Gilman Go Global Grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** includes two meals per day for homestay students; no meals are included for students staying in the shared apartment option
† Round-trip based on U.S. East Coast departure
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.