Fall Study Abroad
COLLEGE STUDY ABROAD
Fall in love with Study Abroad!
Study abroad with CIEE on one of our fall semester programs where you can learn a new language, explore a different culture, and complete courses you can’t take at home.
With more than 60 programs in 25+ amazing cities around the world, you have endless opportunities to live your dreams through study abroad this fall.
While your friends are back on campus watching the days get darker, you could be exploring international business in Prague, studying STEM in Australia, or improving your Spanish language in Barcelona.
Make this fall study abroad the experience of a lifetime!
Trending Fall Semester Programs
Ancient + Modern Japan
Learn Japanese language and culture, further your studies with courses on humanities and social sciences taught in English, and experience all that Kyoto has to offer.
Arts + Sciences
Seoul, South KoreaAACSB and EQUIS ✓
Central European Studies
Prague, Czech Republic
Open Campus Block
Our Open Campus Block program allows you to start studying in Berlin, then study in two other countries in one term.
Madrid, SpainAACSB Accredited
Sustainability + the Environment
Monteverde, Costa Rica
Monteverde the place to get up close and personal with some of the world’s most astonishing biodiversity.
Explore Fall Programs
Search All Fall Programs
Explore all CIEE fall semester programs!
Search Programs By Location
Choose from 30+ locations around the world.
Search Programs By Area of Study
Find programs or courses in a particular field of study.
#cieefall on Instagram
Questions About Fall Study Abroad
Why study abroad in the fall?Click to Open
Whether or not you should study abroad in the fall depends on several factors, including your course schedule, weather in your program location, cultural activities and holidays, and more. When deciding when you should study abroad, you should:
- Consider your academic schedule
- Think about the location you want to be in
- Ensure your desired program and academic topics are covered in your program (e.g. when are specialty programs offered?)
- Consider what season and weather you prefer
What should my fall study abroad packing list be?Click to Open
The items you pack for study abroad depend on several factors, including where you’re studying, when you’re studying, and what items are essential to you. In general, we recommend that you pack the following essentials:
- Passport and Requisite Visa
- Power Adapters
- Comfortable shoes
For a more detailed packing list, check out our article: The Ultimate Guide to Your Study Abroad Packing List (10 Essential Items!)
What is the fall study abroad deadline to apply?Click to Open
At CIEE, the fall 2023 study abroad application deadline varies based on the specific program you choose. Fall ‘23 deadlines are as follows:
- MARCH 1
- MARCH 15
- APRIL 1
- MAY 1
Check out CIEE’s Fall Semester Program Deadlines.
Are there fall study abroad scholarships available?Click to Open
Yes, there are fall study abroad scholarships available to you through CIEE. Scholarship and grant options for fall study abroad programs include but aren't limited to:
- Need-based semester scholarships (Gilman Go Global Grant, GAIN Travel Grant, Minority Serving Institution [MSI] Grant)
- Merit-based semester scholarships (Frederick Douglass Scholars, Ping Scholarship for Academic Excellence, Ritzmann Tropical and Marine Ecology Scholarship, and more)
- Other scholarships (Go Abroad Again Grant and Refer-a-Friend Rewards)
Explore all CIEE Scholarship and Grants options.
Is it better to study abroad in the fall or spring?Click to Open
There are equal pros and cons for fall study abroad and spring study abroad. Truly, neither time of year is better than the other. All that matters is selecting the best term for YOU. Be sure to consider what to expect from both seasons to make the best decision for your personal preferences, academic and professional goals, and more.
Consider these key details to make your decision:
- Review your institution’s schedule. Is your school on a semester calendar or part of the quarter system? Are there specific courses you can only take during certain semesters/quarters back home? This information can help you plan the right season to go abroad.
- Check your graduation requirements. Depending on your major and projected graduation date, it might suit you to study in the fall versus the spring (or vice versa). Review any/all requirements to confirm.
- Consider your campus life back home. If you go abroad in the spring, will you miss out on special school events? How about during the fall? Answering this will help you determine the right time of year to go abroad.
- Take stock of your personal seasonal preferences. Things like holidays, weather/climate, what time of year is your favorite back home, etc. can all help you determine the right fit for you.
What study abroad programs can I do in the fall?Click to Open
CIEE offers a variety of study abroad fall programs across 25+ cities worldwide. Perhaps you want to study liberal arts in Buenos Aires. Maybe you want to focus on design in London. Or maybe you want to improve your Mandarin in China. These are just a few of the countless program opportunities CIEE offers.
Explore all of our fall study abroad programs today and find out for yourself!
Scholarships & Deadlines
CIEE offers scholarships and grants for study abroad programs to students with demonstrated financial need, proven academic merit, and for specific CIEE programs. Students can apply for scholarships through three simple steps:
- Search for and apply to your dream program
- Review all available funding opportunities
- Complete the Scholarship & Grants portion of your application
Don't forget to check out the fall program deadlines.