CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
The U.S. Department of State's Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to students for whom a major barrier to study abroad is financial resources. It also provides extra funding for programs where a designated language deemed as “critical need” by the U.S. State Department is being studied.
As part of CIEE’s mission to increase access to study abroad, we are proud to offer the Gilman Go Global Grant to both Gilman Scholars and Gilman applicants. This grant awards additional funding for CIEE programs and can easily be applied for in your application. Whether your selected or not, all Gilman Scholarship applicants are encouraged to apply!
Gilman Scholarship applicants can also receive a GAIN Travel Grant up to $1,500 toward program airfare!
Gilman Scholarship Deadline -- March 7
Gilman Go Global
Semester/Quarter: $500/$300 toward program costs
Summer/Single Block: $250 toward program costs
QUALIFIED GILMAN APPLICANTS
Semester/Quarter: $2,500/$1,500 toward program costs
Summer/Single Block: $1,000 toward program costs
How Do You Apply?
- Upload the first page of your FAFSA Student Aid Report
- Upload proof of your application to the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Submit a CIEE Scholarships and Grants application by April 1 for summer and fall programs and October 15 for winter and spring programs
- And if you were not selected as a Gilman Scholar, you must provide CIEE proof to receive the larger grant sizes noted above.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Gilman Go Global grant is a CIEE-funded award for Gilman Scholars and Gilman applicants.
Students not selected as Gilman Scholars qualify for up to $2,500 (semester or 3 Block Programs), $1,500 (Quarter or 2 Block Programs), and $1,000 (summer programs or Single Block programs).
Students who receive the Gilman Scholarship qualify for up to $500 (semester or 3 Block Programs), $300 (Quarter or 2 Block Programs), and $250 (summer programs or Single Block programs).
Annually, nearly 3,000 students are awarded up to $8,000 toward their study abroad program.
- You are a Federal Pell Grant recipient.
- You are a U.S. Citizen.
- See Gilman Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
The Critical Need Language Award is a competitive, supplemental award for students studying abroad in select locations. Students submit a short essay in addition to their Gilman Application explaining how their time abroad will help in academic and personal goals. If selected, up to an additional $3,000 is awarded to the base Gilman Scholarship by the U.S. State Department.
The GAIN Travel Grant provides high need students with up to $1,500 for air travel to and from your semester program, 3 Block Program, or Quarter/2 Block Program ($500 for summer or Single Block programs).
For students at Minority Serving Institutions (MSI), CIEE supports high-need students with an MSI Grant of up to $2,000 (semester/3 Block Programs), $1,250 (Quarter / 2 Block Programs) or $500 (summer programs / Single Block Programs).
Terms of the CIEE Gilman Go Global Gant
- Proof of completed, on-time Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program application.
- Grants will only apply to CIEE programs greater than 21 days
- To be considered for an increase in Gilman Go Global Grant funding, students must provide CIEE proof they were not selected for the Gilman Scholarship. In the situation your Gilman Scholarship is revoked due to a Travel Advisory, please send CIEE proof in lieu of a denial.
- Students must submit all CIEE Scholarship application materials by the Scholarships & Grants deadline for their program to be eligible.
- All appeals are decided on a case-by-case basis. The decision of any appeal is final.