CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
The U.S. Department of State's Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to students for whom a major barrier to study abroad is financial resources. It also provides extra funding for programs where a designated language deemed as “critical need” by the U.S. State Department is being studied.
As part of CIEE’s mission to increase access to study abroad, we are proud to offer the Gilman Go Global Grant to both Gilman Scholars and Gilman applicants. This grant awards additional funding for CIEE programs and can easily be applied for in your application. Whether your selected or not, all Gilman Scholarship applicants are encouraged to apply!
Gilman Scholarship applicants can also receive a GAIN Travel Grant totaling up to $1,000 toward program airfare!
Gilman Go Global
- Semester/Quarter: $500/$300 toward program costs
- Summer: $250 toward program costs
QUALIFIED GILMAN APPLICANTS
- Semester/Quarter: $2,500/$1,500 toward program costs
- Summer: $1,000 toward program costs
New! Summer and Fall 2022!
The Gilman Scholarship has a long-standing policy that restricts using funding for programs in countries where the State Department has issued a Travel Advisory Level 3 (with few exceptions) or Level 4 (no exceptions). As a result, many “at-need” study abroad students find themselves stuck between their personal/academic goals and financial challenges.
In 2022, CIEE will guarantee any student who submits an on-time Gilman Scholarship up to $2,500 if their award is restricted due to a State Department Travel Advisory.
How Do You Apply?
- Upload the first page of your FAFSA Student Aid Report
- Upload proof of your application to the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Submit a CIEE Scholarships and Grants application by May 1 for summer and fall programs and October 15 for winter and spring programs
- And if you were not selected as a Gilman Scholar, you must provide CIEE proof to receive the larger grant sizes noted above.
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS THE CIEE GILMAN GO GLOBAL GRANT?Click to Open
The Gilman Go Global grant is a CIEE-funded award for Gilman Scholars and Gilman applicants.
Students selected as Scholars automatically qualify for up to $2,500 (semester or Open Campus Block Programs) and $1,000 (summer programs).
Students who apply but are not selected as Gilman Scholars, are guaranteed $2,500.
All summer and fall 2022 in-person CIEE programs qualify for funding but CIEE deadlines must be met to be eligible for aid.
HOW MANY GILMAN SCHOLARSHIPS ARE AWARDED YEARLY?Click to Open
Annually, nearly 3,000 students are awarded up to $8,000 toward their study abroad program.
AM I ELIGIBLE FOR A GILMAN SCHOLARSHIP?Click to Open
- You are a Federal Pell Grant recipient.
- You are a U.S. Citizen.
WHAT IS GILMAN SCHOLARSHIP’S ‘CRITICAL NEED LANGUAGE AWARD’?Click to Open
The Critical Need Language Award is a competitive, supplemental award for students studying abroad in select locations. Students submit a short essay in addition to their Gilman Application explaining how their time abroad will help in academic and personal goals. If selected, up to an additional $3,000 is awarded to the base Gilman Scholarship by the U.S. State Department.
WHAT OTHER NEED-BASED AWARDS DOES CIEE OFFER?Click to Open
The GAIN Travel Grant provides Pell-eligible students up to $1,000 for air travel to and from your semester program ($500 for summer programs).
Students at Minority Serving Institutions (MSI) supports high-need students with a scholarship of $2,000 (semester/Open Campus Block Program) or $1,000 (internship programs) or $500 (summer programs).
Terms of the CIEE Gilman Go Global Gant
- Proof of completed, on-time Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program application.
- Grants will only apply to CIEE programs greater than 21 days
- If a program’s country changes from Travel Advisory Level 4 to a Level 3 exception or Level 2 or 1, CIEE reserves the right to reduce the size of the award from $2,500 to $500.
- Awards are:
- Up to $2,500 for CIEE Semester or Open Campus Block Programs ($1,500 for 2 blocks)
- Up to $1,000 for CIEE Summer Programs
- Students must submit all CIEE Scholarship application materials by the Scholarships & Grants deadline for their program to be eligible.
- All appeals are decided on a case-by-case basis. The decision of any appeal is final.