8 Best Study Abroad Programs in France [2023]

Summer Intensive French Language

France is pure magic. Home to the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, out-of-this-world cuisine, fashion, history, natural landscapes . . . we could go on, but we’d rather take you there instead.  

With CIEE, France is much more than a magical trip. You’ll receive an enviable education here that really dives into critical coursework unique to French history, business, culture, and more depending on which study abroad program you select. And we offer a variety, so you have plenty of options to choose from. 

Let’s explore the best places to study abroad in France, then dive into some of the best study abroad programs in France that CIEE offers.  

Best Places to Study Abroad in France  

Another cool feature of our France study abroad programs? The different city options! We offer study abroad programs in Paris, Rennes, and Toulouse 

• Paris: The capital of France, this lively city is an epicenter for culture, fashion, and art, and features some of the world’s top attractions. You can’t go wrong with a study abroad program in Paris.  
  • Rennes: Known for its delightful small-town feel and cultural events and celebrations, Rennes is the perfect place to practice your French language skills and go on trips to major historical sites. 
  • Toulouse: This picturesque city boasts beautiful architecture, medieval cities, ancient art, history, and more. You’ll fall in love with Toulouse’s charm and quintessential French vibe.  

paris aerial view of city

Best Study Abroad Programs in France  

We offer a wide range of France study abroad programs that cover a variety of different disciplines, include different cultural excursions, and more. Take a close look at each program to determine which makes the most sense for your personal and academic goals. And really, if you’re having a tough time choosing, just know there is no wrong choice. All our France programs are incredible!  

Liberal Arts (Paris) 

If you’re interested in Parisian culture, learning alongside a diverse group of international students, and eager to improve your French, our Liberal Arts Program in the French capital is a perfect opportunity for you.  

• Program Length: 18 weeks 
  • Credit: 12-18 semester hours /18-27 quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.75 Overall GPA  
  • Cost: $20,950 
  • Featured Course at the Université de Paris Sorbonne Nouvelle: Cultural Construction of National Identities  
  • Excursion Highlight: Visit the Mona Lisa at the Louvre Museum  

Business + Culture (Toulouse) 

Discover more about the French economy, diversity, and innovation with our Business + Culture program in Toulouse. You’ll have the chance to explore economics, history, international affairs, and more in this charming city.  

• Program Length: 20 weeks 
  • Credit: 15-18 semester hours /22.5-27 quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Cost: $19,850 
  • Featured Course: International Marketing  
  • Excursion Highlight: Enjoy a canoe tour on the Garonne River  

paris study abroad students in garden

Liberal Arts (Rennes) 

Broaden your cultural awareness and experience an authentic trip to France with our Liberal Arts program in Rennes. You’ll be a part of an enriching and diverse environment while taking courses on a wide range of subjects including music, singing, journalism, theater, cinema, and more.  

• Program Length: 16 weeks 
  • Credit: 14-18 semester hours / 21-27 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Cost: $19,950 
  • Featured Course: Preliminary French Language and Culture Course  
  • Excursion Highlight: Discover the medieval cities of Fougères, Dinan, and Vannes  

Open Campus Block (Paris) 

Build your own France study abroad program with our Open Campus Block option where you can choose between one, two, or three six-week blocks in world-famous Paris. You’ll get the chance to learn just about any subject you can think of (arts, business, communication, history, environment, fashion, architecture, even wine!) This whirlwind study abroad experience will be amazing.  

• Program Length: Six to 18 weeks 
  • Credit: 6-7 per Block semester hours /9-10.5 per block quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Cost: $6,650 per block 
  • Featured Course: Paris Collage, History, Culture, Architecture  
  • Excursion Highlight: Enjoy a cheese, croissant, and macaron tasting and discover your favorite French food 

Language + Culture (Toulouse) 

If you’re passionate about art, history, gastronomy, music, and more, our Language + Culture program is a great choice for you. Plus, you’ll get to learn more about French culture while exploring the charming town of Toulouse; it doesn’t get much better than that!  

• Program Length: 20 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Cost: $19,850 
  • Featured Course: Masterworks of French Art 
  • Excursion Highlight: Visit Toulouse’s historical district, monuments, and diverse neighborhoods  

paris students exploring the street

Improve your intermediate or advanced French language skills in the culture-rich city of Rennes. You’ll get to spend a summer diving deep into French history, culture, and society. Parfait! 

• Program Length: Eight weeks 
  • Credit: 10 semester hours /15 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Cost: $8,450 
  • Featured Course: Advanced French Reading and Writing  
  • Excursion Highlight: Take a trip to Saint-Malo, a walled city with spectacular beach views  

January in Paris (Paris) 

Spend part of your winter in the City of Lights! Learn more about Paris’ rich history, cultural sites, and tons more with our January in Paris program.  

• Program Length: Three weeks  
  • Credit: 3 semester hours/4.5 quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Cost: $4,250 
  • Featured Course: Economics of Wine  
  • Excursion Highlight: Attend a Parisian performance at the Moulin Rouge theater 

Different from a traditional study abroad program, our Global Internship option allows you to work side by side with professionals in a field you’re passionate about. There’s no better place to begin your career journey than Paris, an international business hub home to the most Fortune 500 company headquarters in Europe as well as many startup businesses.  

• Program Length: Eight weeks 
  • Credit: 6 semester hours/9 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Cost: $6,950 
  • Excursion Highlight: Visit Normandy and learn about WWII and local agriculture industries 

It’s worth noting that we offer millions in scholarships and grants each year to support students in their study abroad journeys. Check to see what type of financial aid you may be eligible for your France study abroad trip.  

cityscape of toulouse france

France is Calling 

A France study abroad program guarantees an adventure of a lifetime – aller de l’avant. Take the next step today!