Study Abroad in Rennes
College Study Abroad
Explore Rennes, France
The capital of Brittany is one of the country’s most livable cities and a major center for France’s growing tech industry. It’s also one of the country’s most festive cities with an abundance of arts, culture, and musical events.
Study Tours & Cultural Excursions
Every CIEE semester program has frequent cultural excursions and a multi-day study tour uniquely designed to complement the program’s academics and enhance students’ cultural immersion. In Rennes, past study tours and excursions have included:
- Overnight trips to Normandy to visit the World War II Memorial and D-Day beaches
- Visits to the medieval walled city of Saint-Malo
- Tours to Mont Saint-Michel, an abbey and UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Walks through Fougère and/or Vitré, two medieval cities with amazing castles
- Excursions to follow in the footsteps of artist Paul Gauguin in the picturesque commune of Pont-Aven
- Trips to the Loire Valley to explore the historic castle where Leonardo da Vinci is buried
Where Students Study
Conveniently located at the Université Rennes 2, in the same building where students take most of their courses.
Université Rennes 2
The campus is located one mile northwest of downtown, just an 8-minute metro ride from the historic center, and hosts 24,000 students, including 1,500 international students from all over the world.
Internships & Volunteering
Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer. In Rennes, students can give back to the host community by helping French children with their English, leading discussion clubs at the Franco-American Institute in Rennes, or keeping elders company in a local retirement home. Students can also intern teaching primary, middle, or high school students while earning credit through Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL).