Study Abroad in Rennes
College Study Abroad
Explore Rennes, France
The capital of Brittany is one of the country’s most livable cities, and it’s only 1.5 hours from Paris. Rennes is one of the country’s most festive cities with an abundance of arts, culture, and musical events. It is not a typical destination and that’s what will make this experience so unique. Students gain a French and Breton experience!
Study Tours & Cultural Excursions
Every CIEE semester program has frequent cultural excursions and a multi-day study tour uniquely designed to complement the program’s academics and enhance students’ cultural immersion. In Rennes, past study tours and excursions have included:
- Trips to Normandy to visit the World War II Memorial and D-Day beaches
- Visits to Brittany’s privateers’ haven and beautiful walled city of Saint-Malo
- Tours to Mont Saint-Michel, aUNESCO World Heritage Site
- Walks through Fougères or Dinan, two medieval cities with amazing castles
- Visits to Paris and its world-famous landmarks
- Trips to the Loire Valley to explore the historic castle where Leonardo da Vinci is buried
Where Students Study
Conveniently located at the Université Rennes 2, in the same building where students take most of their courses.
Université Rennes 2
The campus is located one mile northwest of downtown, just an 8-minute metro ride from the historic center, and hosts 24,000 students, including 1,500 international students from all over the world.
Internships & Volunteering
Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to participate in an internship or volunteer. In Rennes, full-semester students can intern while earning credit Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) at a primary, middle, or high school. Students can also give back to the host community by helping French children with their English or leading discussion clubs at the Franco-American Institute in Rennes, keeping senior citizens company in a local retirement home, or contributing to the rehabilitation of shared community gardens.