Information for term Summer Intensive French Language
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2018
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: April 1, 2018
- Dates: May 21 – Jul 16, 2018 (8 weeks)
- Credit: 10 semester hours / 15 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
Where better to improve your French than in this beautiful city just an hour and thirty minute train ride from Paris? Immerse yourself, take courses at the intermediate or advanced level and improve your abilities to speak, write, and read French, all while visiting amazing historic sites and architecture, hearing the music of the French language, and tasting the je ne sais quoi that makes French food some of the best in the world.
Live with a French family
and share daily meals with them.
Take language classes
that are perfect for your level.
to help the local community.
residents in Rennes210K
Location & CultureClick to Open
You’ll be in good company in the old city center of Rennes — 30 percent of the population is students. By day, explore the charming timber houses, cafés, narrow streets, and stone roads. By night, experience the vibrant nightlife and visit the theater, opera, orchestra, and cinemas. Summer’s a particularly lovely time to visit — in July, make sure to check out the "Festival des Tombées de la Nuit," a festival when the streets are packed with people eating outside in cafes and enjoying free entertainment.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Go on an overnight weekend trip to Normandie, or the Cornouaille region, or the northwestern coast of Brittany.
- Visit Saint-Malo, a medieval walled city.
- Head to Mont Saint Michel, an abbey and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Walk through Fougère and/or Vitré, two medieval cities with amazing castles.
- Volunteering. Help French children with their English at the Franco American Institute in Rennes.
- Internships. Learn what it would be like to have a career in teaching by helping to build teaching resources for young children.
- Peer-to-peer tutoring. At the Franco-American Institute in Rennes, brush up on your languages skills by chatting with French conversation partners, joining a French book club, and going to movies or playing board games with your French peers.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestays. Students live with local CIEE host families either in Rennes or a nearby suburb.
Homestays: Students eat weekday breakfasts and dinners, and all weekend meals at their place of residence. Lunches may be purchased at local cafés or restaurants in Rennes.
Where You'll Study
INSTITUTE LANGUE ET COMMUNICATION OF RENNES
Like what you're seeing so far?request more information
What you need to knowThe program details
The CIEE Summer Intensive French Language program in Rennes is geared to students with intermediate- to advanced-level French skills who want to make significant gains in the command of the French language in a short period of time. Courses address the regional identity of Brittany, French society, and artistic expressions in France.
All CIEE courses are taught by professors who specialize in second-language teaching methodology.
Students agree to speak only French at all times.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students must have an overall GPA of at least 2.5.
3 semesters of college-level French or equivalent.
- Total credit: 10 semester/15 quarter hours per session.
- Total contact hours: 150.
Students take three required classes at their level (intermediate or advanced):
- French Language (3 credits)
- French Oral Communication (4 credits)
- French Reading and Writing (3 credits)
Summer 2018 CoursesClick to Open
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
REQUIRED INTERMEDIATE COURSES
- FREN 2001 REIL: Intermediate French Oral Communication
- FREN 2002 REIL: Intermediate French Reading and Writing
- FREN 2003 REIL: Intermediate French Language
REQUIRED ADVANCED COURSES
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
In 2016, we awarded over 1,000 scholarships totaling more than $5 million, helping more students get on planes and live their dreams in faraway places than any other organization. This year's no different. In fact, every year we give this unrivaled amount of funding, because we’re on a mission to help YOU go abroad, too! Explore your options today.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates, Deadlines & FeesClick to Open
Dates, Deadlines & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Some meals
- Mandatory orientation – an introduction to Rennes culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
No Hidden Fees
|Summer 2018 8 weeks|
|Apr 1, 2018|
|May 21, 2018|
|Jul 16, 2018|
Fees & Housing
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $5,853 **
Housing = $1,530 ***
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $7,850
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
International Airfare = $1,400 †
Local Transportation = $168
Books & Supplies = $84
Personal expenses = $1,050Total Estimated Costs = $2,702
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $5 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, MSI grants, Gilman matching grants, and Pell matching grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
*** includes all meals
† round-trip based on U.S. East Coast departure
Looking for funding?
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Contact an Advisor
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.