The Ultimate Guide to Summer Study Abroad

Summer Korean Studies

A summer study abroad experience is the best. With good weather, unbelievable global destinations, and the chance to earn extra credits toward your degree, you just can’t beat a summer study abroad program.  

Buckle up as we provide you with The Ultimate Guide to Summer Study Abroad! 

Best Study Abroad Summer Programs  

As part of our large portfolio of short-term study abroad programs, we have many summer study abroad program options that vary in location and course curriculum. We consider this list of 10 programs as some of the best summer study abroad programs – be sure to check them out as you start to plan your summer travels:  

Each of these summer abroad options guarantees an adventure of a lifetime. From planned excursions throughout these incredible cities to exciting course materials and the chance to study alongside other international students like yourself, your summer of studying abroad will be one to remember.  

cape town summer beach hike abroad

Read More: The 10 Best Summer Study Abroad Programs for 2023 

How much does it cost to study abroad for a summer?  

Since our summer study abroad programs are considered short-term study abroad programs at four, six, eight, and 12 weeks long, the cost is less than our longer-term options, like semester programs.  

Our summer study abroad programs range in price, with some programs starting at $4,350 and others up to $13,300

These program costs are your one-time CIEE fee, which covers a lot during your program, including:  

• Tuition 
  • Housing 
  • Pre-departure advising 
  • Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet 
  • Orientation 
  • On-site staff 
  • Cultural and/or co-curricular activities 
  • Excursions and/or study tours 
  • Travel protection 
  • 24/7 emergency on-site support 

Top 3 Summer Study Abroad Scholarships  

As you explore your summer study abroad options, keep in mind CIEE’s scholarships as well! We offer millions each year to help make study abroad dreams a reality for many students, so take a closer look at what type of financial assistance you may be eligible for. And, as a quick reminder, you’ll need to complete the Scholarships & Grants portion of your CIEE application to be considered for all awards to which you are eligible.  

Read More: How to Apply to a Study Abroad Scholarship at CIEE: 4 Steps 

We offer scholarships across three main categories: 

Need-Based Summer Scholarships  

These scholarships are based on students’ Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) from their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  

Merit Summer Scholarships  

These scholarships are based on academic achievement.  

Other Summer Scholarships   

These scholarships are based on program, alumni status, or enrolled institution.  

• Summer Session Discount: Guarantees a 20% discount when you enroll in multiple sessions!  
  • Go Abroad Again Grant 
  • Refer-a-Friend Rewards 

reserve cape town summer abroad

Does FAFSA cover study abroad summer programs?  

FAFSA does play a role in helping to cover some of the cost of a study abroad summer program, specifically if you qualify for any need-based scholarships.  

To be awarded the Gilman Go Global Grant, applicants must be qualified Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship candidates; if awarded, students receive up to $1,000 off program fees.  

To be awarded the GAIN Travel Grant, applicants with an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) up to $10,000 are guaranteed a scholarship, while other EFCs are considered post-deadline. If awarded, students receive up to $500 off travel costs to and from their study abroad program.  

To be awarded the Minority Serving Institution (MSI) Grant, applicants must be current attendees at an MSI institution; this aid goes to support high-need students based on Student Aid Report and availability of funds; if awarded, students receive up to $500 off program fees.  

How to afford summer study abroad?  

The best way to fund a summer study abroad program is to get organized! Once you determine your program, take a look at your scholarship and grant options.  

To make this process easy, follow these three simple steps:  

• Step #1: Read the How to Apply page to understand all your options 
  • Step #2: Search for your study abroad program and start your application  
  • Step #3: Complete the Scholarship & Grants application before the deadline (April 1/October 15, depending on your term)  

In addition to scholarship and grant options, try to budget ahead of your travels. Check out free attractions to see in your study abroad destination, do some research on cheap eats, and check out our extensive blog where we cover a wide array of topics all relating to different CIEE study abroad programs and more! 

legon summer star

Get on Your Way 

A summer study abroad program is the perfect opportunity to get some international travel under your belt, immerse yourself in a new culture, earn some extra credits, and take incredible classes overseas. And better yet, with CIEE, funding a summer study abroad program is possible. Should you have any additional questions, just reach out; we’ve got your back! 

EXPLORE SUMMER STUDY ABROAD