Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship
About the Fellowship
A unique international program to develop change leaders who make an impact on their community and the world.
The Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship honors the legacy of the abolitionist and statesman with a fully funded summer study abroad program. This Fellowship is developed for students of color and selection is in the spirit of Douglass himself with special emphasis on leadership, social justice, agitation for positive change and cross-cultural understanding.
Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs will co-sponsor the 2021 Frederick Douglass Global Fellows in Dublin, Ireland, to honor the 175th anniversary of the meeting between 27-year-old abolitionist Frederick Douglass and the Irish reformer Daniel O’Connell in Dublin in 1845.
The fifth cohort of Fellows will be based in Dublin and follow in Douglass’s footsteps with visits across the country in summer 2021.
Dublin, IrelandCongratulations to the 2021 Frederick Douglass Global Fellows
Vice President Kamala Harris and Ireland's Prime Minister Micheál Martin Join CIEE in Congratulating the 2021 Frederick Douglass Global FellowsRead more
Hear from Our 2021 Fellows
How To Apply
The 2021 application deadline has passed
Keep in touch as we announce the opening of applications for next summer's Fellowship. We’ll send you an email when it’s time to get going!
Eligibility RequirementsClick to Open
FREDERICK DOUGLASS GLOBAL FELLOW APPLICANTS MUST:
- Be a current undergraduate freshman, sophomore or junior
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.00
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident
- Identify as an ethnicity typically underrepresented on study abroad programs (e.g. American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander).
- Submit a complete application no later than February 14
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTSClick to Open
Items below should be submitted through the online application.
- Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member or administrator at your institution
- Copy of most recent transcript
- Personal Video
AWARD DETAILSClick to Open
- Award will cover the full cost of travel to and from participation in a four-week, 3-credit study abroad program sponsored by CIEE.
- Ten (10) Fellows will be selected.
- Fellows are expected to present and share their study abroad experience with their campus community upon their return to campus.
Frequently Asked QuestionsClick to Open
View our updated FAQs.
What People are Saying
"We are excited to participate in the development of leaders that are taught the value of intercultural awareness and molded to be change agents in their communities like our great ancestor, Frederick Douglass."Nettie Washington Douglass, chairwoman and co-founder of Frederick Douglass Family Initiatives, and the great granddaughter of Frederick Douglass
“Through study abroad, I began to identify and refine skills that will empower me to network anywhere in the world. My quest to expand beyond the lessons of the classroom were encouraged by my wonderful professors at CIEE, who purposefully created an atmosphere of curiosity and empathy during our time abroad.”Meghan Sowersby, FDGF 2017
See and Hear from Our Previous Fellows
This grant is awarded to all qualified applicants of the Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship who are not selected for a fellowship. Qualified applicants get $1,500 toward any CIEE summer program!LEARN MORE