Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship
In Honor of Frederick Douglass...
The Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship was formed to honor African American social reformer, abolitionist, orator, writer, and international statesman - and highlight the characteristics that today’s young leaders need most: a keen intellect, a strong work ethic, and a global perspective.
Consistent with Douglass’ legacy, Frederick Douglass Global Fellows are meritorious individuals who demonstrate high academic achievement, possess exemplary communication skills, display the hallmarks of self-determination, exhibit characteristics of bold leadership, and have a history of service to others.
About the Fellowship
The Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship is an ongoing effort to make study abroad accessible to students from Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs).
100% of a recipients’ program fees and travel costs are covered for an intensive 4-week, 3-credit summer study abroad program designed to enhance their leadership and intercultural skills. Frederick Douglass Global Fellows commit to sharing their experience and intercultural growth with peers and classmates.
Ten scholarships are awarded annually based on a combination of financial need, academic achievement, and nominations from students’ MSI senior leadership.
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONSClick to Open
To be eligible for the Frederick Douglass Global Fellow scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a current undergraduate freshman or sophomore attending a Minority Serving Institution
- Be Federal Pell Grant eligible
- Have a minimum GPA 3.00
- Reside in the U.S. with student status or be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident
- Submit a complete application no later than February 14
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTSClick to Open
Items below should be submitted through the online application.
- Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member at your institution, preferably a member of senior leadership (president/chancellor, provost, vice president, or dean)
- Copy of transcript
- Proof of Pell Grant eligibility
- Personal Video - Upload a short 2-minute video that provides a detailed explanation of your objectives for study abroad. In this explanation discuss how the combination of your major and participation in study abroad will support your development and help you meet your academic goals and become a global leader.
- Personal Essay - Discuss why you believe study abroad is important for students from MSIs and how you plan to share your study abroad experience with others upon returning (Limit 800 words).
AWARD DETAILSClick to Open
- Fellowships will be awarded based on a combination of financial need, academic achievement, and nominations from students’ MSI presidents.
- Awards will cover the full cost of travel to and participation in a four-week 3-credit study abroad program sponsored by CIEE.
- 10 fellows will be selected from accredited MSIs.
- Fellows will be expected to present and share their study abroad experience with their MSI community upon their return to campus.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONSClick to Open
View updated FAQs.
Fill in your details to stay up-to-date about the Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship.
Become a Frederick Douglass Summer Scholar!
Qualified applicants get $1,500 toward any CIEE summer ’20 program!Learn More
Featured Summer ’20 Programs
Summer Contemporary Netherlands Studies
Summer Business + Culture
Summer Language + Culture
Summer in Berlin
Summer in Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Summer Ghanaian Studies
Summer in Lisbon
Summer in London
Summer in Paris
Summer Business + Culture
What People are Saying
“Through study abroad, I began to identify and refine skills that will empower me to network anywhere in the world. My quest to expand beyond the lessons of the classroom were encouraged by my wonderful professors at CIEE, who purposefully created an atmosphere of curiosity and empathy during our time abroad.”Meghan Sowersby, FDGF 2017