Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship
About the Fellowship
The Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship is an ongoing effort to make study abroad accessible to students from Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs).
Ten full scholarships (including travel costs) are awarded annually based on a combination of financial need, academic achievement, and nominations from students’ MSI senior leadership.
Consistent with Douglass’ legacy, Frederick Douglass Global Fellows are meritorious individuals who demonstrate high academic achievement, possess exemplary communication skills, display the hallmarks of self-determination, exhibit characteristics of bold leadership, and have a history of service to others.
Frederick Douglass Global Fellow applicants must:
- Be a current undergraduate freshman or sophomore attending a Minority Serving Institution
- Be Federal Pell Grant eligible
- Have a minimum GPA 3.00
- Reside in the U.S. with student status or be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident
- Submit a complete application no later than February 14
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTSClick to Open
Items below should be submitted through the online application.
- Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member at your institution, preferably a member of senior leadership (president/chancellor, provost, vice president, or dean)
- Copy of transcript
- Proof of Pell Grant eligibility
- Personal Video - Upload a short 2-minute video that provides a detailed explanation of your objectives for study abroad. In this explanation discuss how the combination of your major and participation in study abroad will support your development and help you meet your academic goals and become a global leader.
- Personal Essay - Discuss why you believe study abroad is important for students from MSIs and how you plan to share your study abroad experience with others upon returning (Limit 800 words).
AWARD DETAILSClick to Open
- Fellowships will be awarded based on a combination of financial need, and academic achievement.
- Awards will cover the full cost of travel to and participation in a four-week 3-credit study abroad program sponsored by CIEE.
- 10 fellows will be selected from accredited MSIs.
- Fellows will be expected to present and share their study abroad experience with their MSI community upon their return to campus.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONSClick to Open
View updated FAQs.
How to Apply
Keep in touch as we announce the opening of applications for next summer’s Fellowship. We’ll send you an email when it’s time to get going!
What People are Saying
“Through study abroad, I began to identify and refine skills that will empower me to network anywhere in the world. My quest to expand beyond the lessons of the classroom were encouraged by my wonderful professors at CIEE, who purposefully created an atmosphere of curiosity and empathy during our time abroad.”Meghan Sowersby, FDGF 2017
See and Hear from Our Previous Fellows
This grant is awarded to all qualified applicants of the Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship who are not selected for a fellowship. Qualified applicants get $1,500 toward any CIEE summer program!LEARN MORE