Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship
About the Fellowship
The Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship covers the costs for outstanding students of color to participate in a customized summer study abroad program focused on leadership and intercultural communication skills. Fellows are selected based on their academic achievement, communication skills, and commitment to social justice — qualities representative of the award’s namesake, African American social reformer, abolitionist, orator, writer, and international statesman Frederick Douglass.
Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs has committed to co-sponsoring the 2021 Frederick Douglass Global Fellows to commemorate the 175th anniversary of Frederick Douglass’s four-month long tour of Ireland, during which he addressed over forty abolitionist meetings. CIEE's fifth cohort of Fellows will be based in Dublin, and follow in Douglass’ footsteps with visits across the island in summer 2021.
CIEE STUDY ABROADOur Students Are Powerful
AUTHENTIC | FEARLESS | LEADERSGET INSPIRED
Frederick Douglass Global Fellow applicants must:
- Be a current undergraduate freshman, sophomore or junior
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.00
- Reside in the U.S. with student status or be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident
- Identify as an ethnicity typically underrepresented on study abroad programs (i.e. American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander).
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTSClick to Open
Items below should be submitted through the online application.
- Letter of Recommendation from a faculty member or administrator at your institution
- Copy of most recent transcript
- Personal Video (2 minutes or less)
Personal statement (700 words or less)
AWARD DETAILSClick to Open
- Awards will cover the full cost of travel to and participation in a four-week 3-credit study abroad program sponsored by CIEE.
- 10 fellows will be selected.
- Fellows will be expected to present and share their study abroad experience with their campus community upon their return to campus.
How to Apply
Keep in touch as we announce the opening of applications in November for next summer’s Fellowship in Dublin, Ireland. We’ll send you an email when it’s time to get going!
What People are Saying
"We are excited to participate in the development of leaders that are taught the value of intercultural awareness and molded to be change agents in their communities like our great ancestor, Frederick Douglass."Nettie Washington Douglass, chairwoman and co-founder of Frederick Douglass Family Initiatives, and the great granddaughter of Frederick Douglass
“Through study abroad, I began to identify and refine skills that will empower me to network anywhere in the world. My quest to expand beyond the lessons of the classroom were encouraged by my wonderful professors at CIEE, who purposefully created an atmosphere of curiosity and empathy during our time abroad.”Meghan Sowersby, FDGF 2017
See and Hear from Our Previous Fellows
This grant is awarded to all qualified applicants of the Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship who are not selected for a fellowship. Qualified applicants get $1,500 toward any CIEE summer program!LEARN MORE