Top 10 Most Affordable Study Abroad Programs

Studying abroad is a life-changing experience we wish for every student, including YOU. That’s why we offer a ton of programs in a range of price points that are packed full of excursions and amenities – so your dollar can go further. 

If you’re looking for a study abroad program that fits a certain budget, keep reading. We’ve compiled a list of 10 of the most affordable study abroad programs. Take a look

Top 10 Cheapest Study Abroad Programs:

Program Name Cost
Summer in Santiago DR $4,250
Summer Communications, New Media + Journalism in Prague $4,350
Summer in Lisbon $4,350
Liberal Arts in the Dominican Republic $12,950
Liberal Arts in Yucatan, Mexico $14,950
Business and Society in Seville $17,950
Liberal Arts in Argentina $17,950
Advanced Liberal Arts in Seville $17,950
January in Amsterdam $3,650
January in Berlin $3,650

Most Affordable Summer Study Abroad Programs 

We offer more than 70 summer adventures, including these cheap summer study abroad programs: 

Summer in Santiago DR 

Study in Santiago de  los Caballeros  in the Dominican Republic and immerse yourself in the daily life of a vibrant developing Caribbean island. This summer study abroad program provides an excellent opportunity to explore Dominican and Greater Caribbean history, culture, language, and more.  

• Timeframe: 4 weeks, May – June 
  • Language: English and Spanish 
  • Credit: 3 - 4 per session semester hours / 4.5 - 6 per session quarter hours 
  • Institutions: Centro Cultural Dominico-Americano (CCDA) and Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra 
  • Cost: $4,250 

study abroad students in santiago DR

Summer Communications, New Media + Journalism in Prague 

Make Prague your classroom in this program that offers local perspectives on media and its role in society, intercultural communication, gender, identity, and many other relevant themes. This opportunity is perfect for students majoring in communications, marketing, and journalism. 

• Timeframe: 4 weeks, May – June 
  • Language: English 
  • Institution: CIEE Prague 
  • Cost: $4,350 

Summer in Lisbon 

Bring your interest in art, literature, and cinema to life while spending your summer in lovely Lisbon. Get a firsthand perspective on Lisbon's deep-rooted history and further your education in courses including gastronomy, culture, and politics.  

• Timeframe: 4 weeks, May – June  
  • Language: English 
  • Institution: CIEE Lisbon 
  • Cost: $4,350 

study abroad students during the summer in lisbon

Most Affordable Semester Study Abroad Programs 

If a semester abroad is what you’re after, we offer dozens of programs around the world. Here are some of the most affordable study abroad semester programs: 

Liberal Arts in the Dominican Republic 

Improve your already strong Spanish language skills and immerse yourself in the developing Dominican Republic. Along with Spanish language classes, learn about the evolution of society, culture, economics, and politics of the island of Hispaniola and the greater Hispanic Caribbean through liberal arts courses, in Spanish.  

• Timeframe: 16 weeks, spring or fall  
  • Language: English and Spanish 
  • Credit: 15 - 18 semester hours / 22.5 - 27 quarter hours 
  • Institutions: CIEE Santiago and Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM) 
  • Cost: $12,950 

Liberal Arts in Yucatan, Mexico 

Enroll in our Liberal Arts program in Mérida, Yucatán, and you will explore how traditions and modernity converge while advancing your degree and improving your Spanish language skills. Outside the classroom, your courses will be complemented by co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city. 

• Timeframe: 20 weeks, spring or fall  
  • Language: English and Spanish 
  • Institution: CIEE Yucatan and University Anahuac-Mayab (UAM) 
  • Cost: $14,950 

study abroad merida mexico cultural excursion

Business and Society in Seville 

Designed for students from all academic backgrounds, this program offers the chance to live and learn in the charming, historic city of Seville. Improve your Spanish language skills while taking business courses, humanity courses, and more. You can also gain real-world work experience by participating in a for-credit internship at a local or international corporation.

• Timeframe: 15 weeks, spring or fall  
  • Language: Spanish  
  • Credit: 15-18 semester hours / 22.5-27 quarter hours 
  • Institutions: University of Seville, EUSA (Estudios Universitarios Superiores de Andalucía) University Centre, University of Pablo de Olavide (UPO), and CIEE Seville 
  • Cost: $17,950 

Liberal Arts in Argentina 

Spend your semester in the beautiful city of Buenos Aires in our Liberal Arts program. Coursework is designed for motivated students with high-proficiency Spanish language skills who desire a complete cultural and academic experience.  

• Timeframe: 20 weeks, spring or fall 
  • Language: Spanish 
  • Institutions: CIEE Buenos Aires, Universidad de Buenos Aires (UBA), Universidad Católica Argentina (UCA), and Universidad Nacional de Arte (UNA) 
  • Cost: $17,950 

Advanced Liberal Arts in Seville 

Experience the countless socio-cultural wonders of Seville, all while earning academic credits. This lively program is designed for students with advanced Spanish language skills and strong academic backgrounds. 

• Timeframe: 17 weeks, spring or fall 
  • Language: Spanish 
  • Institutions: CIEE Seville, Universidad de Sevilla, EUSA (Estudios Universitarios Superiores de Andalucía), Universidad Pablo de Olavide (UPO), and  
  • Cost: $17,950 

study abroad spring program in seville spain

Most Affordable J-Term Study Abroad Programs 

Some of the cheapest study abroad programs can be found during J-term, thanks to its short (but mighty!) duration. We currently offer 18 J-term programs, including the following two opportunities in Europe. 

January in Amsterdam 

Spend January earning credits in one of Europe's most multicultural and historic cities. This exciting winter program in Amsterdam is designed for students from all areas of study who want to experience what it's like to call the global metropolis of Amsterdam home for three weeks. 

• Timeframe: 3 weeks, January 
  • Language: English 
  • Credit: 3 semester hours / 4.5 quarter hour
  • Institution: CIEE Amsterdam 
  • Cost: $3,650 

January in Berlin 

Designed for students of all majors, this program will help you discover firsthand how historical forces have shaped Germany's turbulent past and are building its vibrant future. Spend January immersing yourself in an intensive three-week course as you engage with the material in and out of the classroom. 

• Timeframe: 3 weeks, January 
  • Language: English 
  • Credit: 3 semester hours / 4.5 quarter hours 
  • Institution: CIEE Berlin 
  • Cost: $3,650 

study abroad in berlin in january

Apply for Study Abroad Scholarships and Grants 

Studying abroad is so important, and we believe all students deserve access to experience living and learning in a foreign country firsthand. That’s why we offer millions in scholarships and grants each year to students seeking financial assistance.  

From merit-based scholarships awarded to those with proven academic merit to need-based grants available to those with demonstrated financial need, we offer more ways for students to get on their way, including YOU. 

Additionally, your university may have financial aid available for study abroad. Be sure to check with your study abroad advisor to see what you may qualify for. 

Read More: How to Apply to a Study Abroad Scholarship at CIEE: 4 Steps

Study Abroad on Your Terms 

We hope this list of 10 of the most affordable study abroad programs helps you decide where to study. With a wide range of programming, costs, seasons, and locations, you can find the best fit for you, on your terms.  

Ready to take the next step?