Information for term January in Berlin
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineNovember 1, 2019
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: November 1, 2019
- Dates: Jan 2 – 22, 2020
- Credit: 3 semester hours / 4.5 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
In Berlin, the city is your classroom, your laboratory and your inspiration. Expand upon your knowledge of the dramatic events of the 20th century this January in Berlin. Along the way, you’ll examine how historical forces have shaped Germany’s turbulent past and are building its vibrant future.
Through historical excursions
you’ll gain a deep understanding of a country torn apart by war that is now united and prospering.
Capture the sounds
and stories of the city as you work to create your own radio program.
Spend a day at Zoologischer Garten
Berlin. Founded in 1844, it is the most visited zoo in Europe.
theaters and stages44
medals won by Berliners in the 2012 Olympics22
miles of bicycle paths385
Location & CultureClick to Open
Berlin is the dynamic and fascinating capital city of a country with a complex history. As a center of German cultural and intellectual life, the influence of Berlin reverberates around the world. It offers an incredibly wide range of cultural offerings and has a moderate cost of living, making it an attractive place for artists and young people. Berlin is a fast-paced city in which to work, live, or study.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Enjoy Berlin’s numerous cafés, street musicians, flea markets, pop up-stores and galleries.
- Take in a performance at one of Berlin’s three major opera houses: the Deutsche Oper, the Berlin State Opera, and the Komische Oper.
- Immerse yourself in the local customs by living with a host family. It’s the ideal environment for meaningful cultural exchange.
- Interpret the contrasting history of a divided Berlin through works of art. Take a guided tour along the East Side Gallery, the largest and longest-lasting open air gallery in the world.
- Take an overnight trip to another German city, like Dresden, Weimar, or Leipzig. Or, take a day trip touring the former concentration camp at Sachsenhausen.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Residence Hall: Most students reside in the Global Institute in singles, doubles, triples, or quads. Lounges in the residence hall allow students to mix and mingle over meals, cultural activities, study groups, and special events.
Homestay: A limited number of homestays may be available for students, with preference given to those whose universities require living with a local family; this must be indicated when applying.
Apartments: Students may also be housed in shared apartments. Final housing assignments are solely at the discretion of CIEE.
Residence Hall: Meals are not included for students in the residence halls, but they can prepare their own meals in fully equipped kitchens.
Homestay: Students in homestays receive two meals per day with their program fee.
Apartments: Meals are not included for students in shared apartments.
Where You'll Study
Berlin’s 24-hour public transportation system is extensive and connects the areas of the city accessibly and quickly.
Like what you're seeing so far?request more information
Program DetailsClick to Open
What you need to knowThe program details
Study at the CIEE Global Institute – Berlin in the heart of one of Berlin’s liveliest and culturally rich districts. Just steps away are peaceful inner courtyards, classrooms with state-of-the-art technology, the CIEE Café, and our Student Life Office, where students can get advice on how to make the most of their time in the city.
The January program focuses on communications as a tool for understanding contemporary Germany while studying the art of storytelling.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.5.
- Total credit, 3 semester/4.5 quarter hours Contact hours: 45
All study abroad students take the required course, Holocaust Studies.
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates, Deadlines & FeesClick to Open
Dates, Deadlines & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
- Two meals per day for students in homestays.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation - an introduction to German culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city.
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
No Hidden Fees
Fees & Housing
|January 2020||Nov 1, 2019||Jan 2, 2020||Jan 22, 2020|
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Contact an Advisor
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.