The 8 Best Study Abroad Programs in Barcelona

Business + Culture

Barcelona, Spain is a fun and beautiful cosmopolitan city that attracts students from around the world. With its rich cultural heritage, stunning architecture, and vibrant nightlife, it is no surprise this city is one of the most popular destinations for study abroad programs.  

In this article, we explore eight of the best study abroad programs in Barcelona that offer unique and immersive educational experiences. From language immersion and cultural exchange to internships and academic courses, these programs cater to a wide range of interests and goals.  

So, if you want to improve your Spanish skills, discover new cultures, or gain practical experience in your field of study, we promise there is a perfect CIEE program for you in Barcelona! 

1. Business + Culture 

Our Business + Culture study abroad program in Barcelona is really popular. This 16-week experience is perfect for business majors eager for a better understanding of Spain’s culture and economy, including Barcelona, which is the capital of Catalonia, a unique region in Spain with its own language and culture.  

Studying business in Barcelona is an excellent opportunity to learn or improve your Spanish skills, which can be beneficial for your career in today's global economy. You’ll be able to choose courses at either Universitat Pompeu Fabra’s Escola Superior de Comerç Internacional (School of International Studies, or ESCI) or the Universitat de Vic - Universitat Central de Catalunya (UVic) where classes are taught in English, so you don’t have to worry about your Spanish proficiency level.  

During your stay, you can explore the region and surrounding provinces with exciting excursions, as well as live with a Spanish family for a truly immersive experience. 

Program length: 16 weeks 
Cost: $19,950 
Credit: 14-17 semester hours / 21-25.5 quarter hours 
Language of instruction: English 

BARCELONA BUSINESS AND CULTURE

2. Language + Culture 

Next on our list is our Language + Culture program. What better way to immerse yourself in the rich culture and language of Spain than in its most popular city, Barcelona? Designed for students from all academic backgrounds, this 16-week program is filled with cultural immersion and plenty of opportunities to explore the city – all while earning college credits!  

In this program, you’ll take courses in English across a wide variety of topics, including history, religion, literature, linguistics, marketing, journalism, and more. Outside the classroom, you’ll have plenty of time to explore all the city has to offer including museums, local cafes, and more.  

Program length: 16 weeks 
Cost: $19,950 
Credit: 15 college credits 
Language of instruction: Spanish and English 

3. Economics + Culture 

CIEE’s Economics + Culture program is a 16-week experience designed for economics students who are interested in gaining an in-depth knowledge of Catalonia’s position within Europe. It’s an excellent opportunity to explore the differences between European and U.S. economic models and to get an insider’s look at the impact of European integration on Spain’s economy.  

Choose from courses in English or Spanish at UPF’s Economics and Business school or from the Barcelona Program for Interdisciplinary Studies (BaPIS). You can even gain insight into Spanish business culture through an internship while there. When you’re not in class, there are plenty of opportunities to explore the city with day trips and excursions.  

Program length: 16 weeks 
Cost: $19,950 
Credit: 15 semester hours/24 quarter hours
Language of instruction: English or Spanish 

4. Advanced Liberal Arts 

Next up is our Advanced Liberal Arts program. This 16-week program is designed to help advanced-level Spanish students further their language skills and heighten cultural understanding. While there, you will be matched with a CIEE mentor (a local Spanish student) who will help you settle into your new home away from home.  

CIEE’s partner school is Universitat de Barcelona (UB), where all courses are taught in Spanish and complemented with tours and excursions throughout the city.  

Similar to our Language + Culture program, you’ll be able to immerse yourself in the language and culture while learning the local dialect of Catalan. You’ll even enroll in small-group cooking lessons, foodie tours, and a wine-tasting night to boot!  

Program length: 16 weeks 
Cost: $19,950 
Credit: 15-18 semester hours/22.5-27 quarter hours 
Language of instruction: Spanish 

barcelona study abroad students on advanced liberal arts program

5. Liberal Arts 

The Liberal Arts program in Barcelona is similar to our Advanced Liberal Arts program above in that it’s a 16-week program for advanced Spanish language students.  

In this program, you commit to speaking Spanish at all times – when chatting with Spanish peers, your host family, in class, and in the city – so you will gain fluency fast. As you may expect, all courses are taught in Spanish at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF).  

Outside of the classroom, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to explore the city. You’ll even have the ability to intern at a Spanish company to gain real-world experience.  

Program length: 16 weeks 
Cost: $19,950 
Language of instruction: Spanish 

6. Global Architecture + Design 

Next on our list is our Global Architecture + Design program. This 15-week program is perfect for students interested in design, architecture, or sustainability.  

In this program, you will have the opportunity to design your own model city that addresses climate change by reducing the environmental footprint of buildings. Use Fab Lab facilities at the cutting-edge Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia and participate in a ground-breaking design project that will improve living conditions in the city.   

All courses are taught in English at CIEE Barcelona by experts from Barcelona’s architecture and design community. You’ll also be able to explore the beautiful architecture of the city through day trips and excursions.  

Program length: 15 weeks 
Cost: $19,950 
Credit: 15 semester hours/22.5 quarter hours 
Language of instruction: English and Spanish 

7. January in Barcelona 

We also offer a quick but meaningful January in Barcelona program. Designed for students who are busy with school, work, sports, or other extracurricular commitments, this short program is perfect for earning credits without missing a beat.  

Choose from a variety of classes that are taught in English at CIEE Barcelona. You’ll be able to learn Spanish from the beginning or continue your Spanish studies by immersing yourself in the language and culture. While this program is shorter than the others, there are still many opportunities to explore the vibrant city.  

Program length: 3.5 weeks 
Cost: $3,650 
Credit: 3 semester hours/4.5 quarter hours 
Language of instruction: Spanish 

8. Summer Global Internship 

The Summer Global Internship program is an incredible eight-week opportunity for students ready to dive into real-world experiences while earning college credits.  

This program is made for all academic backgrounds, as we work directly with you to find an internship that suits your unique needs and professional goals. You’ll be able to get a unique perspective on businesses in Barcelona as well as connect with other young entrepreneurs.  

Program length: 8 weeks 
Cost: $6,950 
Credit: 6 semester hours/9 quarter hours 
Language of instruction: English 

students at a stadium in barcelona

Ready, Set, Jet! 

Barcelona is a dynamic, lively Mediterranean city that offers a wide range of study abroad programs for students like YOU. Whether you want to immerse yourself in a new culture, improve your Spanish language skills, gain real-world work experience, or network with new peers and professionals from around the globe, you are sure to have the adventure of a lifetime while studying abroad in Barcelona

Find the perfect program perfect for you!