Gilman Go Global and GAIN Travel Grant
CIEE has funding options for you
Cost should not be an obstacle to study abroad
Federal Pell Grant-eligible students can receive a GAIN Travel Grant up to $1,000 when they complete their CIEE Scholarships and Grants application by our published deadlines. Gilman Scholarship applicants can receive a CIEE Go Global Grant AND a GAIN Travel Grant totaling up to $3,500!
GAIN Travel Grant
Semester/Quarter Programs: $1,000 toward airfare
Summer Programs: $500 toward airfare
The Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Travel Grant provides funds for flights to and from their CIEE program for students who are eligible for federal Pell Grants. To apply:
- Students upload their FAFSA Student Aid Report
- Submit a CIEE Scholarships and Grants application by October 15 (spring programs), or by April 1 (summer and fall programs).
Students eligible for Pell aid are guaranteed if they meet the criteria above.
Note: CIEE GAIN Travel Grants are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Non-Pell students are still encouraged to apply and may be awarded if funds are still available after aforementioned deadlines. The GAIN grant is a credit with our partner travel agency for airfare only and has no cash value.
Gilman Go Global Grant
Semester/Quarter: $500/$300 toward program costs
Summer: $250 toward program costs
Qualified Gilman Applicants
Semester/Quarter: $2,500/$1,500 toward program costs
Summer: $1,000 toward program costs
Qualified applicants for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship are eligible for a Gilman Go Global Grant, regardless of whether they are selected as a Gilman Scholar. To apply:
- Upload the first page of your FAFSA Student Aid Report
- Upload proof of your application to the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Submit a CIEE Scholarships and Grants application by October 15 for winter and spring programs
- Lastly, students must provide CIEE proof that they were not selected as a Gilman Scholar to receive the larger grant sizes noted above.
Special note: Until recently, Gilman Scholars have been limited to using their funds only in countries the U.S. State Department classifies as a Level 1 or Level 2 Travel Advisory.
If you are a Gilman Scholar who cannot use your Gilman Grant due to the Gilman Travel Advisory policy, CIEE will consider increased funding appeals to your Go Global Grant when/if your program is less than 30 days before its start.