Top 4 Places to Study French Abroad

Learning a foreign language opens up a world of new possibilities, both personally and professionally. And if it’s French that entices you, well, you’re in good company. The language of love piques the interest of many students. Their preferred way to acquire this rich, velvety language? By studying abroad, of course!  

Whether you're new to French or an advanced language learner, CIEE offers programs in four of the top places to learn French abroad, based on factors like program quality, cultural immersion opportunities, and the overall study abroad experience. Oh là là! 

If you’re eager to develop (or advance) your French language skills abroad and immerse yourself in French culture, you’ve come to the right place! Let’s unpack why and where you should study French abroad. 

Why Learn French Abroad? 

There are many reasons to consider studying French abroad. For starters, fully immersing yourself in the French language and culture is an incredibly unique opportunity, whereby you’ll improve your language skills and gain cultural knowledge and insights you simply can’t from reading a book. Additionally, it’s just a really fun way to grow personally, and yes professionally, too. 

While learning French abroad, you’re guaranteed to: 

1. Learn and practice with native speakers: By living and learning in a French-speaking country, you will have the means to practice your language skills on a daily basis and learn about French culture firsthand. It's amazing how much easier learning a language can be when surrounded by native speakers who naturally provide more opportunities for you to practice speaking, listening, reading, and writing in French.  
  2. Fast track your listening, reading, and speaking skills: Imagine how the simple act of taking the Paris Metro will provide you with endless opportunities to speak French, hear it, and even read it in the many advertisements and signs in the subway and on the trains. And that’s just one small aspect of living in France!  
  3. Gain cultural insights: The constant interaction among the French provides you with invaluable cultural insights that can help you better understand and communicate with French-speaking people. Plus, you’ll get a tangible sense of French customs, traditions, and ways of life. Pretty amazing when you think about it. 

The many experiences – planned and unplanned – studying abroad provides creates extraordinary personal and professional growth. You will develop independence, adaptability, and cross-cultural communication skills that will undoubtedly help shape you for years to come.  

study abroad girls outside of french restaurant

Which Country is the Best to Study French? 

There are many places around the world that speak French, but which is best for learning the language? Well, that depends.  

If your goal is to improve your French skills as quickly as possible, it is important to choose a country where you will be surrounded by native speakers and have plenty of opportunities to practice speaking, listening, reading, and writing in French.  

If you want to study French culture firsthand, it is important to choose a country with a rich cultural heritage that offers a variety of cultural activities to foster language learning.  

Some of our students’ favorite French-speaking spots are: 

Think about your personal interests and what you hope to get out of your study abroad experience. This will help you choose a destination that aligns with your goals and interests. By considering these factors, you can find the best French study abroad program for your individual needs and goals.  

Learn French in Paris 

Studying abroad in France is a great way to learn the French language and the culture. And, what better city to study in than the glamorous Grand Paris?  

Paris is a city undeniably rich in culture with a wealth of artistic, historical, and culinary experiences to experience. By living and studying in Paris, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in French culture and learn about the city's rich history and traditions.  

At CIEE, we offer programs for all majors, so regardless of your proficiency level, you’ll be able to choose courses taught in English supplemented with French language courses or courses taught fully in French. 

famous building in paris france

Learn French in Rennes 

The city of Rennes, France, is a quaint city of 200,000 residents that effortlessly blends urban style with a lovely rural appeal. Located in northwestern France, Rennes, the capital of Brittany, captivates visitors with its stunning medieval architecture and cheerful-chic vibe. And, should you choose Rennes for your French study abroad program, you will be in good company, as more than 60,000 students already live there!  

We offer programs for Liberal Arts students for all proficiency levels and a Summer Intensive French Language program for more advanced French students.  

study abroad in rennes france

Learn French in Toulouse 

Located in the picturesque South of France, the city of Toulouse is often called La Ville Rose (Pink City) due to the rose-tinted architecture of its Old Quarter. It is among our students’ favorite places to study abroad due to its booming international student population, relative affordability, and charming community-focused culture.  

Situated near the Pyrenees mountains, Toulouse has beautiful countryside perfect for outdoor activities like hiking, skiing, and more. With a wide range of courses to choose from, any student can study here.  

At CIEE, we offer students the opportunity to study their major in courses taught in English with supplementary French courses or courses taught in French. Regardless of proficiency level, all students are welcome to study French in the stunning city of Toulouse.  

study french abroad in toulouse

Learn French in Morocco 

Morocco is another wonderful country for learning French. Here CIEE students have the chance to live and study in the capital, Rabat, the country’s second-largest and arguably most European city.  

Visit the ancient ruins of Chellah, stroll the Andalusian Gardens, and experience the country’s geographical diversity through excursions to the High Atlas Mountains, the Rif Mountains, and cities on both the Mediterranean and Atlantic oceans.  

As one of the main languages spoken there, you’ll have many opportunities to practice your French speaking skills. At CIEE, you’ll be able to choose courses taught in English that are enhanced by cultural immersion through excursions around the city.  

morocco study abroad programs for french language

Take Your French to the Next Level 

Whether you choose a CIEE program in Paris, Rennes, Toulouse, or Morocco, you are sure to have the experience of a lifetime on any of our French study abroad programs!