6 Best Study Abroad Programs in Italy

If you’re looking for a study abroad program in an iconic country packed with art, history, architecture, culture, cuisine, and much more, consider a study abroad program in Italy. 

Read on as we list six of our best study abroad programs to help you plan an incredible Italian adventure. 

Top Florence Study Abroad Programs  

Florencealso referred to as the capital of Tuscany or wine country – is a beautiful city known for its historical landmarks, world-renowned vineyards, and of course, delicious cuisine. Studying abroad in Florence is like something out of a dream. Check out some of our top Florence study abroad programs 

Our Semester in Florence program is perfect for just about anyone! You’ll have the chance to select from a wide range of unique, diverse, and flexible courses including almost everything from the arts, architecture, and history to business and STEM classes. Students who choose this program also get to study at CIEE’s esteemed partner institution, Florence University of the Arts (FUA).  

Program details:  

• Length: 15 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.75 Overall GPA 
  • Credit: 12-16 semester hours/18-24 quarter hours  
  • Featured Course: Intensive Italian at FUA  
  • Excursion Highlight: Explore the Chianti region and all its wineries  

florence italy skyline

What better place to study arts, architecture, and design than the birthplace of the Renaissance? With this Florence study abroad program, you’ll get to dive deep into the Italian city’s global influence on all things art. Beyond the history, you’ll even take a look at Florence’s sustainability efforts and courses on urban studies.  

Program details:  

• Length: 15 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.75 GPA 
  • Featured Course: Cultural Introduction to Italy at FUA  
  • Excursion Highlight: Visit Siena, an important landmark in Tuscany  

Top Milan Study Abroad Programs   

Dubbed the fashion capital of the world, Milan is an expressive city known for its design and retail innovations. This cosmopolitan city is also quite international, with ex-pats making up nearly 20% of the population, so not only will your creative juices fly in this fashion-forward city, but you’ll also get to study alongside people from all over the world. Your cultural awareness will enhance tremendously!  

Check out some of our top Milan study abroad programs! 

There’s no better place to study fashion, retail, and innovation than the birthplace of some of the most globally recognized luxury brands in the world, including Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, MiuMiu, and Prada. This is one fashionable Italy study abroad experience you won’t want to miss out on!  

Program details:  

• Length: 15 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Credit: 15-18 semester hours/22.5-27 quarter hours 
  • Featured Course: Marketing and Legacy of Italian Design  
  • Excursion Highlight: Visit Lake Como, one of the most beautiful bodies of water in the country  

Milan is considered a global center for business, finance, fashion, design, media, and publishing. Plus, Italy boasts some of the oldest histories and traditions in the world, so choosing to study business and culture in this bustling city is a no-brainer. With our Business + Culture program, you’ll get to choose from a wide range of courses all while exploring magical Milan.  

Program details: 

• Length: 15 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.75 Overall GPA 
  • Credit: 15-18 semester hours/22.55-27 quarter hours 
  • Featured Course: Strategic Management & Entrepreneurship: The Italian Perspective  
  • Excursion Highlight: Visit the 80+ museums and galleries in Milan  

milan sunset skyline

Top Rome Study Abroad Programs  

Rome is a fascinating ancient city with thousands of years of history, incredible landmarks, art, tradition, and more. Studying abroad in Rome promises an unforgettable look at Italian culture and adventure.  

With so much to see and do in Rome, spending a semester there makes a lot of sense. Even with 15 weeks, you might not get to visit all the attractions you want! With our Semester in Rome program, you’ll get to choose courses that you’re interested in and explore illustrious Rome.  

Program details:  

• Length: 15 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Featured Course: Rome Wasn’t Built in a Day: The Art, Architecture, and History of the Ancient City  
  • Excursion Highlight: Explore Rome’s ancient ruins at the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and the Pantheon 

Create your own study abroad in Rome program with our Open Campus Block option. Choose from one, two, or up to three consecutive six-week blocks and dive deep into subjects you’re passionate about, which include courses on art, history, business, economics, and more all while discovering The Eternal City.  

Program details:  

• Length: Six to 18 weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Credit: 6-7 per Block semester hours/9-10.5 per Block quarter hours 
  • Featured Course: Food, Nutrition, and Culture  
  • Excursion Highlight: Learn how to make authentic and from-scratch gelato!  

students at colosseum in italy

Italy is Calling 

No matter which Italian city you choose, an Italy study abroad program guarantees an exceptional experience. Take the next step by exploring your options and get on your way today!