Prague Study Abroad: FAQs and Answers

Business, Arts + Sciences

Known as the “City of a Hundred Spires,” Prague is a colorful and magnificent study abroad location. If you’ve been dreaming of studying abroad in the Czech Republic’s incredible capital, read on as we answer some frequently asked questions about what a study abroad in Prague entails.  

Is Prague a Good Place to Study Abroad?  

There are tons of reasons why Prague is a great place to study abroad. But we’re certain it’ll only take three for you to see why a Prague study abroad experience might be the best option for you.  

Reason #1: Prague is steeped in history 

This European capital has been inhabited since prehistoric times and played an important role in the medieval period, the Renaissance, and throughout the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries. And this is just a small part of its story.   

Prague has been at the center of many world events and has plenty of museums and attractions that encompass its lengthy past. Make sure to check some of our favorites, including excursions you can take with CIEE, as well as explorations you can do on your own (and heads up, there’s a lot), like:  

• Trips to Karlštejn Castle, Český ráj (Czech Paradise), and Terezín (former Jewish ghetto and Nazi labor camp) 
  • KGB Museum 
  • Prague National Museum  
  • Museum of Communism  
  • Strahov Monastery  
  • Cold War Museum 
  • Rosenberg Palace  
  • Prague Castle 
  • Charles Bridge 
  • Lennon Wall  
  • Franz Kafka Museum  

prague students smile during study abroad

Reason #2: Prague is home to fascinating architecture 

Prague is known for its beautiful architecture dating back thousands of years. With a combination of Gothic, Baroque, Romanesque, Renaissance, Art Nouvea styles, and modern concepts, Prague and its many spires look like something out of a fairy tale.  

There are a few legendary buildings known for their design that you’ll need to see to believe (really, these constructions are incredible!), including: 

• Powder Tower 
  • St. Nicholas Church 
  • Kinsky Palace 
  • St. George’s Basilica  
  • Klementinum  
  • Henry’s Bell Tower 
  • Villa Müller  
  • Dancing House 
  • St. Vitus Cathedral  
  • Zizkov Television Tower  
  • Old Town Bridge Tower  
  • Prague Astronomical Clock  

Another important landmark in Prague is its 12th-century Charles Square, one of the largest (and stunning) town squares in the world. Trust us when we say you’ll be taking photos of this beautiful city at every corner.  

Reason #3: Prague hosts many exciting festivals.  

Prague is known for its musical marvels – Mozart, Giovanni, and Smetana, just to name a few. The country honors its famed musicians each year with a globally recognized music event known as the Prague Spring International Music Festival.  

There’s also the Czech Beer Festival featuring more than 100 different beers, the International Jazz Festival (another ode to this city’s musical talent), the culturally rich Bohemian Carnevale, and the Prague Winter Festival. These celebrations are just a small part of Prague’s magic. 

festival in prague czech republic

Why is Prague the Best Study Abroad City? 

Prague is considered one of the best study abroad cities for a variety of reasons. In addition to the many historical attractions, fun festivals, and architecture, this city is known for its vibrant nightlife, art scene, and efficient public transportation system (that makes for even more exploration!)  

Plus, there is a large international population in the city, and really, throughout the whole country, so you’ll get to meet and study alongside a diverse group of people. You’ll gain a new and refreshing global perspective.  

If we haven’t listed enough attractions to visit, we also consider some of these museums and galleries to be must-sees, like:   

• Mucha Museum 
  • Illusion Art Museum Prague  
  • National Art Museum  
  • Museum of Medieval Art 
  • Contemporary Art Museum 
  • Art Nouveau Museum  

Another reason why Prague is one of the best study abroad cities: The many different Prague study abroad programs available through CIEE. These programs dive deep into a wide range of course disciplines, including:  

Take a look at all of our programs and decide which courses, program length, and credits make the most sense for your personal and academic goals. A Prague study abroad program promises an adventure! 

Is Prague Expensive to Study?  

Prague is considerably less expensive than other nearby European cities like Paris, Amsterdam, and Berlin. To make your study abroad trip even more affordable, take advantage of free attractions, join a free walking tour, visit local information centers for available discounts around the city, and cook your own meals when possible.  

Plus, with CIEE, your one-time program fee covers most expenses, including:  

• Tuition 
  • Housing 
  • Pre-departure advising 
  • Orientation 
  • On-site staff and 24/7 emergency support 
  • Culture and co-curricular activities 
  • Travel protection 

strahov library prague

Apply for Scholarships + Grants 

You can also apply for financial assistance through the scholarships and grants portion of our application; we award millions in scholarships to students each year.  

We offer three scholarship types: 

• Need-Based Scholarships: Based on financial need, you’ll need to retrieve the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) from your most recent Free Application for Federal Students Aid (FAFSA) and Student Aid Report (SAR).  
  • Merit-Based Scholarships: Based on academic standing, you’ll need to complete the essay section of the application and provide your GPA and transcript.  
  • Other Funding: Based on alumni status or specific program choice.  

There are plenty of ways to make studying abroad in Prague possible. And if you have any questions, we’re always available to chat, too. Just contact us! 

Should I Study Abroad in the Czech Republic?  

While all our study abroad programs take place in the Czech Republic’s capital, the rest of the country is an incredible place to explore.  

The Czech Republic is safe and features multiple UNESCO World Heritage Sites. 

A few other fun facts about this fascinating country:  

• There’s a thriving folk tradition, which includes a lot of delicious food, alcohol, and music 
  • The country is in the center of Europe, making additional European travel a breeze 
  • Many international companies are based in the country or founded here including Zara and Budweiser Budvar 
  • It’s a castle-dominated country meaning you can find these extravagant constructions nearly everywhere. 
  • There are two distinct regions in the country: Bohemia in the west and Moravia in the east; make sure to explore both 

Get on Your Way 

A Prague study abroad program promises an exciting adventure full of history, architecture, beer, art, an international mix, and more. Discover your dream Prague study abroad program today!