The Ultimate Guide to Studying Abroad in Prague

Considering study abroad in Prague? We definitely think you should.  

And by “we,” we mean the 97% of international students who studied in the Czech Republic who now say they recommend others do so, too. That’s according to the Czech National Agency for International Education and Research 

Put another way: almost everyone who studied abroad in the Czech Republic is glad they did.  

We believe it, too. Our programs in Prague are phenomenal. In this ultimate guide, learn what makes study abroad in Prague so great, and how to go and experience it for yourself.  

Why Study Abroad in Prague  

Prague has become a go-to study abroad destination for so many students. And now, maybe even you, too. Here are some of the reasons this central European city is one of the world’s finest for international students. 

Living in Prague is like living in a fairytale.  

In fact, this magical place has been voted the most beautiful city in the world by 27,000 city-dwellers who participated in a Time Out study. They touted the city’s famous Charles Bridge, Astronomical Clock, Letna Park, banks of the Vltava, and so much more.  

One other Time Out accolade of note: Prague ranks second in its index for relaxation. Beauty plus a relaxing vibe? Sounds like a dream to us

It boasts a thriving international student scene.  

Interest in Czech Republic schools is on the rise and has been for more than a decade. In 2021 (the latest reported numbers), more than 52,000 international students were enrolled in the country’s university system.  

That’s great news for newcomers like you who are eager to make personal connections in a new country. With so many other international students around, you’ll make friends in no time. 

study abroad prague students in asia town

It’s more affordable than most.  

Compared to other European cities, Prague is easier on the wallet. According to Study in Czechia, the average cost of living for international students ranges from $350 to $750 per month, including meals, accommodation, public, and cultural activities.  

Bear in mind that as a CIEE student, your out-of-pocket expenses will be much lower, as housing and cultural excursions are all part of your fee. (Yay!) 

Prague is home to excellent universities.  

And many are CIEE partner schools. These include Charles University, one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in all of Europe; Architectural Institute in Prague (ARCHIP); the Art and Design Institute (ADI); and the Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts (FAMU). 

It's perfectly situated in the heart of Europe 

Prague’s central location makes it easy to travel to other European countries like Germany, Slovakia, and Austria. Of course, Prague can keep you entertained for the duration of your program, but if you want to sneak in a little cross-border travel, it’s a great city for your launch. 

fall semester study abroad students in prague

How to Study Abroad in Prague  

Studying abroad in Prague is easier than you may think. To get started, we recommend you ask yourself these five key questions: 

1. Why do I want to study abroad in Prague? Maybe to experience the culture, or further your Czech language skills. Maybe it’s to boost your resume or develop practical skills as an international intern. Figure out your reason why first. The rest will then start falling into place. 

2. How long do I want to go abroad? You may have a lot of flexibility in your schedule, or maybe you don’t. Fortunately, we offer programs that are as short as 20 days, as long as 18 weeks, and a lot of others in between.  

3. What program makes the most sense for my goals and degree? Below we go into our amazing program options. Or, check them out on our Prague location page. 

4. Am I eligible? Different programs have different requirements, such as GPA, language skills, etc. Don’t get your heart set on the program until you check these requirements.  

5. Can I afford it? Our fees go a long way and, depending on the program, typically cover tuition, tours, excursions, orientation, on-site support, airport meet-and-greet, and more. We also offer millions of dollars in scholarships and grants each year based on financial need and merit. Your college’s study abroad advisor may also know of other avenues of financial support. Be sure to check with them. 

Best Study Abroad Programs in Prague  

We offer a ton of excellent programs for students of all academic backgrounds and with all kinds of schedules. Here’s a quick snapshot of CIEE’s study abroad programs in Prague: 

Business, Arts + Sciences  

Designed for students from all academic backgrounds, this program offers a variety of courses in business, politics, science, history, media, communications, psychology, mathematics, economics, art, religion, literature, and more. Some classes are even held in Prague Castle, the largest ancient castle in the world! 

• Cost: $19,950 
  • Timeframe: 15 weeks (fall or spring) 
  • Language: English 
  • Credits: 15-18 semester hours / 22.5-27 quarter hours 
  • Institution: CIEE Prague  

famous building in prague city center with students

Summer Communications, New Media + Journalism 

This program, designed for students majoring in communications, marketing, and journalism, offers local perspectives on media and their role in society, intercultural communication, gender, identity, and many other relevant themes.  

• Cost: $4,350 
  • Timeframe: 4 weeks (summer) 
  • Language: English 
  • Credits: 3-4 per session semester hours / 4.5-6 per session quarter hours 
  • Institution: CIEE Prague 

Communications, New Media + Journalism 

A great program for students majoring in communications, marketing, and journalism who want an exciting study abroad program that offers a wide range of program-specific classes that bring a local Czech perspective on global topics. 

• Cost: $19,950 
  • Timeframe: 15 weeks (fall or spring) 
  • Language: English and Czech 
  • Institution: CIEE Prague 

Summer Psychology 

Designed for students interested in psychology, this program digs into the local, comparative, and multidisciplinary perspectives of neuroscience, social psychology, and the psychology of transition and transformation.  

• Cost: $4,350 
  • Timeframe: 4 weeks (summer) 
  • Language: English and Czech 
  • Institution: CIEE Prague  

prague library student visit

Central European Studies  

This program is ideal for students of all majors who want to gain an in-depth understanding of the Czech Republic.  

• Cost: $19,950 
  • Timeframe: 15 weeks (fall or spring) 
  • Language: English and Czech 
  • Institution: CIEE Prague, Charles University, and the Academy of Performing Arts (FAMU) 

Summer Central European Studies 

Great for students who want to explore different aspects of the Central European political and cultural space, including art, history, political science, and film. 

• Cost: $4,350 
  • Timeframe: 4 weeks (summer) 
  • Language: English  
  • Institution: CIEE Prague  

Film Studies 

This is perfect for students with some experience in film production, screenwriting, or film studies who want to hone their production and writing skills. 

• Cost: $19,950 
  • Timeframe: 16 weeks (fall or spring) 
  • Language: English and Czech 
  • Credits: 17 semester hours / 25.5 quarter hours 
  • Institution: The Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts (FAMU) 

Summer Global Internship 

Gain real-world work experience in a booming start-up environment, multinational companies, the arts scene, and non-profits. Designed for students of all majors, our on-site staff will help you find the right match with the companies that fit your unique needs and professional goals. 

• Cost: $6,950 
  • Timeframe: 8 weeks (summer) 
  • Language: English  
  • Institution: CIEE Prague  

January in Prague 

During the January in Prague program, all students take the required course Social Psychology. In-class work is augmented with co-curricular visits to the city’s rich variety of cultural institutions and organizations relevant to the course offering. 

• Cost: $3,650 
  • Timeframe: 20 days 
  • Language: English  
  • Credits: 3 semester hours /4.5 quarter hours 
  • Institution: CIEE Prague  

student boat excursion in prague

Prague Study Abroad Packing List 

Once you select your program, your thoughts will quickly turn to what to pack. Make it easier on yourself by following our curated list of essentials based on our years of experience. 

Essential documents: 

• Passport + a photocopy (just in case) 
  • Visa + a photocopy (again, just in case) 
  • A second form of valid ID (e.g., driver’s license or government-issued ID) 
  • Plane tickets  
  • Proof of health insurance 
  • Proof of CIEE enrollment 

Essential items: 

• Comfortable walking shoes, ideally closed-toe and waterproof 
  • Camera to capture Prague at all angles 
  • One nice outfit for special occasions 
  • Prescription medications, enough for the stay if possible 
  • Preferred over-the-counter medications 
  • Prescription eyewear 
  • A reusable water bottle that you can fill up at the airport and use when on the go 
  • Travel adapters to charge your current tech  
  • Sunglasses + sunblock (yes, even in winter!) 
  • Cash (Note: The Czech Republic’s currency is the Czech crown, not the euro) 

A note about the weather: No surprise here, but winters in Prague can be very cold, snowy, and windy. Dress warmly! Bring a really warm winter coat, gloves, and hat. Summers are pleasant with average temperatures in the low- to mid-70s Fahrenheit. Still, we recommend dressing in layers to account for cooler nights. 

prague study abroad students at sunset

Prague is calling! 

Speaking of packing, we packed in a lot of information in this Ultimate Guide to Studying Abroad in Prague – we hope you found it helpful!  

And, as you start planning your own Prague adventure, be sure to check out all of our amazing Prague programs to get started.