Information for term Business + Society
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2021
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Tentative Dates: Sep 6 – Dec 15, 2021 (14 weeks)*
- Credit: 15-18 semester hours / 22.5-27 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
INTERN WITH A SPANISH COMPANY
to get valuable work experience and school credit.
LIVE WITH A SPANISH FAMILY
at their Seville home – the ultimate way to absorb as much language and culture as you can.
EXPLORE and discover
some of the most beautiful cities in Andalucia through our excursions to cities like Cadiz, Malaga, Cordoba, Jerez, etc.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Old Town3
miles from the ocean50
Location & CultureClick to Open
Seville has its origins in the trade routes controlled by the Phoenicians in the 8th century BC. Romans, Goths, Muslims, and Christians established their capital here before it became the most important city in Southern Europe and gateway to the Americas in the 16th century. The commercial hub of its region, the city preserves many traces of its past and traditions. With 700,000 residents, Seville offers a large variety of cultural activities that range from the Flamenco Biennial and theater and the European Film Festival to alternative theatre venues, bars with live music, beautiful streets and open spaces and, of course, one of the most respected bullrings in the world.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Get to know Spanish students by signing up for an intercambio: a language exchange partner.
- Socialize with Spanish peers while practicing what you’re learning in class with the Global Discussion initiative.
- Visit local Spanish companies with your business classes.
- Join in flamenco lessons, take a bike tour, participate in language exchanges with Spanish university students, practice new sports in the Guadalquivir river, and more, with new local friends. New activities are offered all the time throughout the semester.
- Get an insider’s view of iconic places like Parque de María Luisa, Plaza de España, Catedral de Sevilla, Archivo de Indias, Hospital de los Venerables Sacerdotes, and many more amazing locations spread all around the city.
- Participate in excursions to other Spanish cities in the region of Andalucía. In the past, students have travelled to cities such as Córdoba, Cádiz, Malaga, Jerez, etc.
- Explore and step back centuries in time with a tour of Roman ruins in Italica or the medieval city of Carmona.
- Intern with a Spanish company. Help improve logistics and customer relations, build finance reports in Excel, analyze competitors, develop marketing plans, audit local Andalusian companies, and more.
- Connect with Sevillanos through volunteer work. Help a minority group or women’s organization. Volunteer to tutor English at a local grade school or high school.
- Volunteer: become and English cultural and language assistant for children or teenagers at a local school, or connect with the people of Seville by helping at one of the many local organizations that support citizens in need of social assistance.
Program BlogsClick to Open
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestays. Most students choose to live with a Spanish-speaking family. Each student will have his/her own bedroom, and weekly cleaning, laundry and internet are provided. Students usually walk or ride rented bikes, but may also be able to take public transportation when available; average commute to classes is 20-30 minutes.
Residence halls. Students have individual bedrooms with bathroom, kitchen, internet, and weekly cleaning and linen service. Halls have common spaces, and students can opt to pay for meal plans, laundry, gym and pool services and more. Students should expect a 20-40-minute commute, riding a rented bike or city bus.
Academic-year students: Students can move to private apartments for the second semester. Roommates may not be American or English-speaking. CIEE provides a monthly stipend for these students, but they are responsible for arranging and paying for apartments.
Homestay: Three meals per day are provided by the host. Residence halls: Meals are not provided. Students have access to kitchens and cafeterias.
Where You'll Study
CIEE STUDY CENTER
In the city center, a ten-minute walk from the main Universidad de Seville building.
UNIVERSIDAD DE SEVILLA SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS
A 15-minute walk from the main Universidad de Seville. This is where most of CIEE’s business classes are held.
UNIVERSITY OF SEVILLE SCHOOL OF PHILOLOGY AND GEOGRAPHY AND HISTORY
In the city center, this is the Universidad de Seville’s main building.
AcademicsClick to Open
Established in 1986 for business and Spanish majors and minors, this program helps students improve their language skills while they explore economic and business management in Spain and the European Union. Learning takes place through coursework, lectures, internships, and company visits.
CIEE Business and Society courses (SEBS) are held at the Universidad de Sevilla School of Economics and Business. Students can also take one or two regular university courses with Spanish students at the School of Economics and Business (University of Seville) or at the University of Pablo de Olavide (UPO).
University of Seville – This university has been one of Spain’s leading institutions of higher learning since the 16th century, and now hosts some 65,000 students. Its many schools, departments, and institutes serve the educational needs of Spain’s most populous region.
EUSA (Estudios Universitarios Superiores de Andalucía) University Centre is a Spanish private university center founded in 1961 and affiliated with the University of Seville since 1996. Their official undergraduate degrees include Audiovisual Communication, Journalism, Advertising and Public Relations, and Tourism. EUSA is one of the educational components that constitute the Campus Formativo of the Chamber of Commerce of Seville, a unique configuration located in the heart of Seville which has catered to the learning needs of over 55,000 national and international students.
University of Pablo de Olavide (UPO) – With nearly 11,500 students, UPO is the second largest state university in Seville. Its 345-acre campus is 30-minutes from the center of the city. UPO offers undergraduate and graduate programs in traditional majors, as well other areas, from biotechnology to translation. Modern facilities include campus-wide internet access, sports facilities, science labs, and more.
CIEE Seville – Our home is a beautifully renovated palace, originally built in 1725. It is close to the Royal Alcazar palace, and a 10-minute walk from the University of Seville. The site includes classrooms, a computer room, the Language Resource Center, and the offices of Student Life, and the Program Managers.
Language placement – Prior to departure for Seville, all students take a CIEE online placement exam. Results determine appropriate placement in language courses. Placement in many upper-level courses depends on a high score.
Language support – Our Language Resource Center is staffed by language professors and Spanish students majoring in Spanish philology, who help students with reading, writing, comprehension, and speaking. Tutorials on university course content are also offered. Students agree to speak only Spanish to encourage language and cultural acquisition.
Internship Placement – Participate in our “Internship Fair” and practice your interview skills. Placement is determined by language ability, job skills, background, and professional attitude in the “Internship Fair.” Because Spanish firms make final selections, internships in a particular company are not guaranteed. Students have interned for organizations like Biomedal, Simetrycal, Wellness Telecom, CyO Arquitectos and Telefónica – Andalucia Open Future, as well as smaller firms and companies.
There are no specific language requirements for this program.
4 semesters of college-level Spanish (or equivalent) and 3 semesters of college-level micro- or macroeconomics, accounting, finance, management, marketing, or statistics.
Students take five to six courses, for a total of 15-18 semester credits, including:
- One two-week intensive Spanish language course
- SPAN 3503 CSCS Intensive Spanish for Students of Business and Economics.
- Students at low language levels enroll in the semester long course: SPAN 3001 CSCS Advanced Spanish Business Writing
- Independent Research Project (optional)
- Business Internship (optional)
- Four to five semester elective courses
- A minimum of two CIEE semester courses from the area of business, economics, management, and marketing (see course list below)
- CIEE semester courses from any other areas (see course list below)
- Cursos Concertados semester courses at University of Seville
- Up to two host institution semester courses at University of Seville, University of Pablo Olavide, or EUSA School of Communications
Total credit: 15-18 U.S. semester/22.5-27 quarter credits
- CIEE courses: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours
- CIEE Internship 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 15 contact hours, 100 placement hours
- CIEE Directed Independent Research: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 15 contact hours, 100 research hours
- Cursos Concertados at University of Seville: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours, unless otherwise noted
- University of Seville: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours, unless otherwise noted
- University Pablo de Olavide: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours, unless otherwise noted
- EUSA School of Communications: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours, unless otherwise noted
Class attendance is mandatory and students are expected to complete work and exams as scheduled. Students should be aware that academic and exam schedules may vary between academic institutions, and plan accordingly. During the fall semester, there is no extended vacation period. During the spring semester, there are two: Semana Santa and Feria de Abril, normally the week before Easter (Holy Week), and two weeks after Easter.
CIEE classes and Cursos Concertados at the University of Seville share the same calendar. They are scheduled Monday through Thursday and meet twice a week. CIEE classes are open to CIEE students only. Cursos Concertados are only open to students from American study abroad programs in Sevilla. Direct enrollment courses can also meet on Fridays. Instruction is usually lecture-style. Direct enrollment university classes with Spanish and international students last until the end of the regular semester. Students should therefore plan on staying at least a week longer in the fall and a month longer in the spring.
In CIEE courses students are graded on mid-term and final examinations, assignments, class participation, and attendance. In Cursos Concertados, professors give a midterm and final, and sometimes a final project or paper. Some give only a final exam. In direct enrollment classes, professors give oral or written final exams, and sometimes term papers, too. Numerical grades are given on a 10-point scale and converted to the U.S. scale.
Language of Instruction
CoursesClick to Open
- First-year courses at the University of Seville are not available for international students.
- All students who take host institution classes must stay to complete their classes and exams. Late semester exams may be possible but must be confirmed with the professor. Exact final exam dates will not be available until the beginning of the semester. CIEE Seville staff will be able to help students enroll in courses with early exams if necessary.
Fall 2021 Courses and syllabi will be available here in January 2021.
Spring 2021 CIEE CoursesClick to Open
Business, Economics, Management, and Marketing
Communication, Journalism, and Media
History, Philosophy, Religion
Languages and Cultural Studies
Literature, Linguistics, and Writing
Visual and Performing Arts
Host Institution CoursesClick to Open
Please visit the “Course” section of the Advanced Liberal Arts program for access to the University of Seville, UPO and EUSA's regular offerings.
UNVERSIDAD DE SEVILLA
First-year courses at the University of Seville are not available for international students.
Academic departments include:
- Arabic Language, Literature, and Area Studies
- Art History
- Business Studies
- Computer Science
- Labor Sciences
- Modern/Classical Languages and Literature
- Social Anthropology
- Spanish Language and Literature
- Studies of East Asia
Following is a list of recommended business courses offered by the University of Seville at the Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
Please check with CIEE Seville staff to confirm class offerings each semester as these may change.
- Comunicación Comercial I / Commercial Communication I
- Dirección de los Recursos Humanos I / Human Resources Management I
- Dirección de Ventas I / Sales Management I
- Economía de la Unión Europea / European Economy
- Economía y Política del Medioambiente / Environmental Economics and Politics
- Economía Bancaria / Banking Economics
- Marketing de Servicios / Services Marketing
UNIVERSITY OF PABLO DE OLAVIDE (UPO)
Academic departments include:
- Business Studies
- Experimental Sciences
- Geography/ History
- Labor Relations
- Social Education
- Social Sciences
- Social Work
- Sports Sciences
- Translation and Interpretation
Following is a list of recommended business courses offered by University of Pablo de Olavide (UPO) for students concentrating in business management and administration.
Please check with CIEE Seville staff to confirm class offerings each semester as these may change.
NOTE: This University is located about 30 minutes by metro or bus from the city center.
- Dirección Estratégica I / Strategic Management I
- Dirección de Recursos Humanos / Human Resources Management
- Economía de la Empresa / Business Economics
- Economía de las Organizaciones / Organizational Economics
- Macroeconomía / Macroeconomics
- Sistemas de Información / Information Systems
Academic departments include:
- Advertising and Public Relations
- Audiovisual Communication
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- Stohl International Undergraduate Research Scholarships
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
Fees & Housing
|Spring 2021 15 weeks||Oct 15, 2021||Jan 28, 2021||May 13, 2021||
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $12,663 **
Housing = $3,320 ***
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $16,450
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $2,600 †
International Airfare = $1,100 ††
Local Transportation = $300
Books & Supplies = $250
Visa Fees = $160
Potential travel to consulate for visa = $500
Personal expenses = $2,800Total Estimated Costs = $7,710
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $8 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, institutional and MSI grants, and Gilman Go Global Grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required by their US home institution to study abroad via CIEE's School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
*** includes three meals daily for students choosing to live in a Spanish homestay. Meals and laundry are at the students’ expense for those participants choosing to live in a residence hall
† For students in apartments. Students in the residencia should budget $600 for Sunday lunches and meals during breaks/national holidays. All meals are included for students in homestays.
†† round-trip based on U.S. East Coast departure
|Fall 2021 14 weeks||Apr 1, 2021||Sep 6, 2021*||Dec 15, 2021*|
*Dates for this program are provided as tentative dates. Please consult with your study abroad advisor to confirm dates before purchasing your flights.
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, your college or university may charge additional fees for study abroad, or may require you to receive a transcript via CIEE's School of Record, which carries an additional fee of $500.
Looking for funding?
What's IncludedClick to Open
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.