Explore. Build. Connect. Be a global intern.
Explore our international internships and get real-world work experience.
CIEE’s international internship program allows college students to choose from a variety of full and part-time internships abroad across 20+ locations. With study abroad internships in a variety of fields – from public policy and the arts to business administration and marketing – you can find the right fit for you.
Take that first step and explore our international internships that develop the skills you need to succeed in the next steps of your career.
Featured International Internship Programs
Summer Global Internships
Eight-week, six-credit programs consisting of a full-time internship and seminar that provide real-world work experience throughout the summer.
Semester Global Internships
Semester-length programs that combine six weeks of coursework with a 12-week part-time internship and seminar for up to 15 credits.
Part-time internships offered as elective components to semester-long study abroad programs, providing on-site work experience.
Virtual Global Internships
Eight-week and 12-week for credit and non-credit project-based online internships drawing from our robust network of companies in more than 20 cities around the world.
Discover Internships in Trending Locations
Africa and the Middle East
Search Internships by Industries
No matter what your major or field of interest, building your work experience and cross-cultural skills is key to your professional success. Match your aspirations with employers around the globe using our vast network of trusted professionals. If you have an industry or field in mind, browse our internship programs based on your area of interest, and select the one right for you.
Why Intern Abroad?
Nothing better prepares you for your future than an internship. Forbes Magazine calls college internships "the ultimate return on investment for today's college students."
Top 4 Reasons to Intern Abroad
1. Get Real-World Experience
Test drive your career path with hands-on experience at companies big and small.
2. Build That Resume!
Show prospective employers you've got the skills needed to succeed from day one.
3. Grow Your Global Network
Expand your professional possibilities by making connections with employers and colleagues around the world.
4. Take Your Skills International
Develop strong intercultural skills, the flexibility to work in diverse teams, and the ability to navigate across cultures and time zones.
Trending Internships Abroad
Take advantage of all this trendy city has to offer as you participate in a part-time internship in English and internship course.
Summer Global Internship
Seoul, South KoreaNew for Summer '23
CIEE Internship Reviews
“One of the greatest things I came away from this internship with is the inspiration and skills to start my own business, something I have always been interested in. I realized that I am capable of it, especially with the tools and connections I have made. I loved the cultural things I was able to learn and the people I met. I now feel I have a home in South Africa.”Leah K., Cape Town Global Intern
"This program integrates living in a new city with a meaningful internship. My experience has allowed me to adjust to full-time work experience and work on professional habits such as communication with superiors and building relationships within the workplace. It has also allowed me to become more confident with the skills and knowledge that I have in relation to the work I am able to complete.”Jeanine L., Singapore Global Intern
“I have come back to my studies confident in my skills and with a yearning to continue my professional and academic career. To the individuals who seek to better themselves, the experience of living and working abroad is like no other. "Mikhael L., Berlin Global Intern
What is a CIEE Global Internship Program?
Frequently Asked Questions About International Internships
What is an international internship?Click to Open
An international internship is work experience in a foreign country that provides you with practical skills and global experience, while broadening your understanding of the global business environment. Currently, CIEE offers international internships in 26 centers in 22 countries around the world. CIEE’s international internships range from six to 12 weeks and are unpaid.
An international internship typically involves working for a company or organization in a field related to your career or academic pursuits, and offers the opportunity to gain hands-on work experience, learn about a new culture, develop language skills, and build your global network of professional and personal contacts.
How to find international internships?Click to Open
Simply search CIEE’s international internships and pick the one that best suits your academic and personal goals. You may choose to complete a summer internship abroad or a semester internship abroad. We recommend that you reflect on your goals, consult your study abroad office, then start your application!
Where should I intern abroad?Click to Open
The best place to intern abroad depends on your field of study, language skills, cultural interests, personal preferences, and program options. Consider interning in a country with a strong industry or unique opportunities, where you can improve your language skills or experience a culture that interests you. Popular destinations include Europe, Asia, Latin America, and Australia.
When deciding where to intern abroad, consider the following factors:
- Pick a location that aligns with your career goals and offers opportunities in your desired field. If your internship goals include boosting your foreign language skills, consider interning in a country where a particular language is spoken.
- Keep culture in mind. Perhaps you are interested in learning more about work and life in France. In this scenario, an internship in Paris with a fashion label would be an excellent choice.
- Remember – you can complete an internship abroad conducted in English in all of our locations, even in countries that aren’t English-speaking.
Are internships abroad useful?Click to Open
Absolutely! Internships abroad are useful as international internships can provide you with practical skills, cross-cultural competence, professional network expansion, language skill improvement, and personal growth opportunities that enhance your personal and professional development, as well as your future career opportunities.
Internships abroad are useful for the following reasons:
- You can gain valuable work experience, learn new skills, and network with professionals in your field.
- Completing an international internship can lead to personal growth as you step outside of your comfort zone, develop independence, and gain confidence in navigating new environments.
- You can build relationships with people from different countries and establish a global network of professional and personal contacts.
- An international internship will help enhance your resume. This will allow you to stand out from other job applicants by demonstrating international experience and a commitment to personal and professional growth.
What do you do in an internship?Click to Open
Your internship tasks and responsibilities will vary widely depending on the field and organization, but some common activities you may expect to find across our portfolio of internships include:
- Working alongside experienced professionals to learn new skills and gain hands-on experience in your field.
- Supporting ongoing projects and tasks, such as research, data analysis, and report writing.
- Exploring the local area, participating in cultural events, and learning about the local culture and way of life.
It's important to clarify expectations with your supervisor to make the most of your internship experience.