Excursion to Normandy : a walk through history and emotions

Liberal Arts

CIEE Rennes

For our final excursion this fall, CIEE Rennes brought us to Normandy. Naturally, I had mixed feelings about this being our last big adventure as a group, but I am positive that we made the most of it. At my home school of Siena College in Albany, New York, two of my best friends major in history. It’s safe to say that they were as jealous as I was excited for this outing! Although I couldn’t bring them with me, I was sure to grab some souvenirs!

Our journey began with a two hour bus ride to Caen for a visit to the World War II Memorial and Museum. You would think that the bus rides on our excursions are just a means to an end, but each road trip we’ve taken as a group has brought us all closer together. I never thought I’d be saying this about my study abroad experience, but one of the big things I’ll miss is playing niche card games with Michiganders while taking in the French scenery on a travel bus. After a few rounds of euchre, we arrived at the memorial.

Before I even entered the building, I noticed several plaques surrounding the courtyard. Each represented a different nation and had a small excerpt from a prominent figure of that nation. It was nearly impossible to photograph because of how much it was raining, but I made note of the French and American plaques. The inscription on the French plaque was a quote from Paul Eluard: “Je suis né pour te connaître, pour te nommer: liberté.” This translates to, “I was born to know thee, to call thee liberty.” Given the events of the second World War, I found this incredibly moving. It was after reading this plaque that a wave of solemnity ran through me and my demeanor changed to one of respect and observance. The American plaque was engraved with Dwight D. Eisenhower’s address to the Americans who participated in the D-Day invasions. It read, “The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.” The weight of these words and the sentiments behind them are now a source of pride for the United States of America.

Upon entering the memorial - after being distracted by the gift shop - my colleagues and I were given museum passes and audio guides. We each had the liberty of touring the museum at our own pace. Each room in the museum was its own portal back in time, featuring real newspaper articles and propaganda released in the 1930’s and 1940’s. The rooms were also laid out in chronological order, detailing each event from the rise of fascism in Germany to the end of the war in the Pacific theater. Personally, I also took special interest in the armaments and supplies used by each nation. The end of the museum tour had a special focus on D-Day and specifically the toll it had on Caen. Throughout the entirety of my time at the museum, I was stunned silent. I hold nothing but respect in my heart for those who fought for their own freedom and the freedom of others. Each person lost in this pursuit of liberty is undoubtedly a hero in my eyes.

Our next destination was Gold Beach in the town of Arromanches. In full consideration of all that happened there, I couldn’t help but stare off into the sea and ponder the sacrifices made on this beach during the war. I was sure to take pictures and I even grabbed a few seashells as souvenirs. From there we went to our hotel and dropped off our bags and had dinner. Our final stop the next day was to the American cemetery overlooking Omaha Beach. Of all of my experiences on this trip, this was the one that made me the most emotional. I’m not too proud to admit that I shed a few tears during my walkabout there.

Overall, the content of this excursion was my favorite. I absolutely adored the historical elements of our trip and I am more thankful than ever for this opportunity! Huge shoutout to onsite staff for making this trip happen; they've given me some truly unforgettable memories!

Lucas Welch 

Siena College

EXPLORE FRANCE