Another Great Reason to Study Abroad in Buenos Aires

Open Campus Block

As if Buenos Aires’ didn’t have enough going for it – with its cultural largesse, tree-lined boulevards, fascinating history, world-famous beef, and passionate tango. Now this cosmopolitan city is playing host to a stunning new CIEE Global Institute facility in the chic Recoleta neighborhood!

CIEE staff welcomed students to the new location in September, after months of renovations to a 100-year-old French-style building. Four beautifully decorated floors feature six classrooms, a roomy student lounge, administrative offices, study room, library, open-air patio, and a grand circular staircase with a scrolled ironwork handrail. Many of the rooms have original French oak parquet floors, mahogany paneled walls, ornate chandeliers, and small street-side balconies.

The entry hall features a large “Expand Your Horizons” mural celebrating Aimé Felix Tschiffely’s epic horseback journey in 1925. The world-famous trek kicked off in Buenos Aires and some three years and 13,000 miles later, ended with his arrival in New York. Two Criollo horses – famed for their stamina and endurance – were his only companions and have since become an important legacy of the economic, cultural, and sporting life of Argentinians.

Photo for blog post Another Great Reason to Study Abroad in Buenos Aires

The grand circular staircase winds through each floor that houses well-lit, spacious rooms each named after Argentina’s National Parks. Hallways showcase colorful murals of the city’s skyline, and a map of the streets, which according to Global Institute Director, Andres Piacentino, has become the perfect backdrop for students sharing tips on places to go and things to do.

Students interested in making this exquisite location their study abroad campus can choose from semester programs in Liberal Arts and our Open Campus Block program, as well as summer programs in intensive Spanish language, Community Public Health, and Language and Culture, and January in Buenos Aires focused on tango!