Information for term Summer Intensive Spanish Language
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2019
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: April 1, 2019
- Dates: May 19 – Jul 13, 2019 (8 weeks)
- Credit: 10 semester hours / 15 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
Get Spanish fluent fast in Buenos Aires this summer! Connect with Argentine people as you explore this modern metropolis and live with a local family. See what this colorful society is all about as you join student clubs and interest groups, volunteer in libraries or community centers, and travel. There’s no better way to improve your Spanish and have the time of your life.
Learn with the perfect level
of language instruction for your ability!
and into broader Argentina – to dig into the local culture and customs.
Learn outside the classroom
with field trips to cultural and historic highlights.
plays performed every weekend300
years since it snowed in Buenos Aires10
Location & CultureClick to Open
Stately architecture and a steady influx of European immigrants earned Buenos Aires the nickname, the Paris of South America. Founded in 1536, this surprisingly navigable metropolis reveals influence of Europe and the Middle East in architecture and café life. A vibrant port city, Buenos Aires is also the world’s leading Spanish language publishing center. With a population of 13 million, it has the cultural intrigue found only in cities of this size and prestige.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Travel to broader Argentina on an overnight excursion.
- See how Argentines live in and out of the city, with day and field trips where you'll sample traditional food, and learn about dressage, gaucho traditions, and folk dancing.
- Relax Buenos Aires style at a festival or soccer game.
- Experience culture in motion with dance and theater performances.
Volunteering: Share your time, and see another slice of Argentine life up close as you support a community library or center.
Peer support: Join a group that shares your interest – soccer, conversation, etc. – and connect with Argentine students. You can also join weekly café gatherings to compare school, idioms, and more with Argentine peers while you practice Spanish.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestays: Students live in private homes for maximum immersion in Argentine culture. Hosts include families with children, single professionals, young couples, and older couples with grown children.
Housing includes two meals per day: breakfast and either lunch or dinner. Students are responsible for the other meals. Host families and students will decide meals together.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Where You'll Study
CIEE Global Institute
Students walk or use public transportation.
Like what you're seeing so far?request more information
Program DetailsClick to Open
What you need to knowThe program details
This intensive, eight-week summer program is dedicated to Spanish language acquisition through classroom instruction combined with cultural and community activities. Students complete 15 hours of class per week, taught entirely in Spanish, addressing all communicational and cultural components. Students are divided into four different language level groups according to an online and on-site all-encompassing placement test.
All courses are taught by CIEE Faculty at CIEE’s Global Institute - an urban campus located in one of the most relevant neighborhoods of the city.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.5.
- Total credits: 10 semester/15 quarter hours
- Contact hours:
- Spanish Language course: 60 hours; credit: 4 semester/6 quarter
- Oral Communication and Culture course: 45 hours; credit: 3 semester/4.5 quarter
- Reading and Writing Workshop course: 45 hours; credit: 3 semester/4.5 quarter
Students take three Spanish language classes at the level indicated by their results on the online placement test and on-site oral interview in Buenos Aires.
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
Summer 2019 CoursesClick to Open
Students are placed in one of four language levels depending on the results of an online placement test and written interview, and an on-site oral interview administered during orientation. All students must take the three required Spanish courses at the appropriate level for a total of 10 semester / 15 quarter hour credits.
Language Level: Beginning Spanish II
- SPAN 1008 BAAR: Beginning Spanish Language II
- SPAN 1009 BAAR: Beginning Spanish Language II: Oral Communication and Culture
- SPAN 1010 BAAR: Beginning Spanish Language II Reading and Writing Workshop
Language Level: Intermediate Spanish I
- SPAN 2005 BAAR: Intermediate Spanish Language I
- SPAN 2006 BAAR: Intermediate Spanish Language I Oral Communication and Culture
- SPAN 2007 BAAR: Intermediate Spanish Language I Reading and Writing Workshop
Language Level: Intermediate Spanish II
- SPAN 2008 BAAR: Intermediate Spanish Language II
- SPAN 2009 BAAR: Intermediate Spanish Language II Oral Communication and Culture
- SPAN 2010 BAAR: Intermediate Spanish Language II Reading and Writing Workshop
Language Level: Advanced Spanish I
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates, Deadlines & FeesClick to Open
Dates, Deadlines & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Most meals
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Three-day orientation – an introduction to Argentine culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
No Hidden Fees
Fees & Housing
|Summer 2019 8 weeks||Apr 1, 2019||May 19, 2019||Jul 13, 2019||
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $5,723 **
Housing = $2,060 ***
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $8,250
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $525
International Airfare = $1,300
Local Transportation = $125
Books & Supplies = $100
Local government registration/entrance fees = $160
Personal expenses = $800Total Estimated Costs = $3,010
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $8 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, institutional and MSI grants, and Gilman Go Global Grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
*** includes two meals per day
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Contact an Advisor
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.