Information for term Summer Community Public Health
Application deadline, and cost information.
The application deadline has passed.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: May 19 – Jul 13, 2019 (8 weeks)
- Credit: 10 semester hours / 15 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
If you’re eager to learn more about the challenges of public health in Latin America and have a flair for Spanish language, Buenos Aires is the place for you. Whether your chosen field is biology, medicine, nursing, education, or political science, you’ll gain international perspective and hands-on experience, and come home with noticeably stronger Spanish skills. Courses are taught in Spanish at CIEE Global Institute – Buenos Aires and complemented with co-curricular activities designed to increase intercultural understanding.
Learn from Latin American public health experts
and university researchers, with specially designed interdisciplinary courses.
Get immersed in local public health
and additional perspective with field work beyond Buenos Aires or in Uruguay.
Benefit from a unique, collaborative approach
that brings public health specialists and Spanish language instructors together to prepare for and teach classes.
plays performed every weekend300
time each year, museums have free admission during La Noche de los Museos1
Location & CultureClick to Open
Stately architecture and a steady influx of European immigrants earned Buenos Aires the nickname, the Paris of South America. Founded in 1536, this surprisingly navigable metropolis reveals influence of Europe and the Middle East in architecture and café life. A vibrant port city, Buenos Aires is also the world’s leading Spanish language publishing center. With a population of 13 million, it has the cultural intrigue found only in cities of this size and prestige.
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- See how Argentines live in rural areas with daylong excursions
- Experience culture with personalized guided tours to iconic sites
- Enjoy dance, theater performances and festivals
- Meet new people in group activities
Volunteering. Share your time, and see another slice of Argentine life up close as you help promote social policy, human rights, community building, and health.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestays: Students live with host families for maximum immersion in Argentine culture, both in Buenos Aires and during field placements.
Housing includes two meals per day: breakfast and either lunch or dinner. Students are responsible for the other meals. Host families and students will decide meals together.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Where You'll Study
CIEE Global Institute
Students walk and use the public transportation system to get around the city.
Like what you're seeing so far?request more information
Program DetailsClick to Open
What you need to knowThe program details
This intensive eight-week program focuses on community healthcare, public policies, and the challenges and successes of Latin American public health. All students are required to take: Advanced Spanish Conversation and Grammar, Community Health Practicum, and Pre-Professional Healthcare Issues.
Students are assigned to one of three locations for a fieldwork component:
- Universidad Nacional de Cuyo, Mendoza Province (15 hours from Buenos Aires on the Chilean border). Focus: Inter-governmental department cooperation and healthcare delivery.
- Universidad Nacional de Entre Rios, Entre Rios Province (2 hours from Buenos Aires). Focus: Healthcare delivery in rural regions.
- Instituto Interamericano sobre Discapacidad y Desarrollo Inclusivo, Montevideo, Uruguay (30-minute flight, 3-hour boat ride). Focus: Youth health and inclusive approaches for people with disabilities.
CIEE Global Institute – Buenos Aires is located in one of the most vibrant and student populated neighborhoods of the city and offers easy access to some of the city’s nicest parks, restaurants, cafés, and shops. Instructors have teaching and/or research experience in different areas of public health and bring extensive practical experience in epidemiology, qualitative and quantitative research methods, pediatric health, gender, social and health public policy, rights and health, bioethics, and health promotion.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.5.
4 semesters of college-level Spanish (or equivalent). College-level coursework in public health and in Latin American history or politics is recommended.
- Total credit: 10 semester/15 quarter credits
- Advanced Spanish Conversation and Grammar - 3 semester credits/45 contact hours
- Community Health Practicum - 3 semester credits/45 contact hours
- Pre-Professional Healthcare Issues - 4 semester credits/60 contact hours
All coursework is required and instructed in Spanish.
Note: The course listing below is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
Summer 2019 CoursesClick to Open
Summer 2020 CoursesClick to Open
REQUIRED CIEE COURSES
- PUBH 3003 APHU: Pre-Professional Healthcare
- PUBH 3004 APHU: Community Health Practicum
- SPAN 3001 APHU: Advanced Spanish Conversation and Grammar
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- McDermott Health Sciences, Nursing, and Public Health Merit Scholarships
- Stohl International Undergraduate Research Scholarships
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates, Deadlines & FeesClick to Open
Dates, Deadlines & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Most meals
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Argentine culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
No Hidden Fees
Fees & Housing
|Summer 2019 8 weeks||Deadline Passed||May 19, 2019||Jul 13, 2019||
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $5,723 **
Housing = $2,060 ***
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $8,250
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $625
International Airfare = $1,300
Local Transportation = $150
Books & Supplies = $100
Local government registration/entrance fees = $160
Personal expenses = $1,000Total Estimated Costs = $3,335
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $8 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, institutional and MSI grants, and Gilman Go Global Grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
** direct cost of education charged uniformly to all students
*** includes two meals per day
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, ask your college or university study abroad advisor if your school charges additional fees for study abroad.
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.