Information for term Liberal Arts
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineApril 1, 2021
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Tentative Dates: Sep 2 – Dec 23, 2021 (16 weeks)*
- Credit: 15 semester hours / 22.5 quarter hours
- Eligibility: 3.0 Overall GPA
OverviewClick to Open
GAIN FLUENCY FAST WITH YOUR COMMUNITY COMMITMENT
to speaking Spanish at all times -chatting with Spanish peers in language exchanges, hanging out with your host family, working on a group project with classmates, and exploring city sights.
LIVE LIKE A NATIVE BARCELONAN
in a cosmopolitan university city that’s rooted in ancient tradition and committed to the future.
GET WORK EXPERIENCE
and a behind-the-scenes look at a publishing, marketing, business, school, or NGO with an internship.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites8
Location & CultureClick to Open
EXCURSIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Get to know Spanish students with conversation exchanges.
- See Barcelona from new heights with a hike and excursion to Collserola.
- See for yourself why landmarks like Museu Picasso and Gaudi’s artworks engender awe from visitors around the world.
- Explore beyond Barcelona, with highlights that could include Roman ruins in the coastal city Tarragona, the medieval town of Girona, the Dalí museum in Figueres, among others.
Internships provide students with practical, real-world work experience at NGOs, schools, publishing companies, marketing agencies, businesses, and more. Internships include weekly classroom components that enrich the experience.
Program BlogsClick to Open
Daily LifeClick to Open
Homestays. Live with a Spanish-speaking family -- with or without another CIEE student -- and immerse yourself in the city’s language and culture. Each student has his/her own room and weekly laundry service. Homestays are located in Barcelona, no more than 30-minutes from CIEE Barcelona by public transportation.
Residence Halls. Students live with other Spanish and international students. Residence halls include single rooms with shared kitchens and common areas.
Apartments. Apartments may have double or single rooms. They have shared kitchens and laundry facilities. Students live with other CIEE students.
Housing is tight in Barcelona. If we can’t accommodate your first housing choice, we’ll let you know before you arrive. All housing is within a 30-minute commute to CIEE Barcelona.
Homestay students have breakfast and dinner with their host families, and are responsible for lunch. Meals are not included at residence halls or apartments
Where You'll Study
Near Barcelona’s main square, Plaza Catalunya.
UNIVERSITAT POMPEU FABRA
UPF has several Barcelona locations, near the Olympic Village, Problenou, and the port.
Students use public transportation to get from their lodgings to the CIEE Site – no more than a 30-minute ride.
AcademicsClick to Open
Our Liberal Arts program gives students the opportunity to increase language proficiency and learn about Spanish history, politics, literature, and culture. All courses are taught in Spanish. Students can take courses designed for U.S. students at CIEE and Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF-HESP) and/or direct-enrollment courses along with local students at UPF.
CIEE Barcelona courses are taught in adjoining historic buildings near the city’s main square. CIEE language courses are taught by professors who specialize in teaching Spanish as a second language and CIEE content courses are taught by experienced local faculty.
The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) was founded in 1990 and it is known for its international outlook and emphasis on technology. It offers degrees in fields ranging from business to social sciences. UPF courses – both (HESP) courses for U.S. students and direct-enrollment courses, are taught at the UPF campus, near the Olympic Village, Poblenou, and the port. UPF courses are taught by UPF faculty. Internship seminars are taught by a professor with cross-cultural and business expertise.
Enter as a junior or senior with 4 or 5 semesters of college-level Spanish (or equivalent).
Students take five courses for 15credits including:
- One required CIEE Spanish language course
- Two CIEE elective courses
- Two additional elective courses:
- Two host institution courses: UPF-HESP and/or UPF or
- One host institution course: UPF-HESP or UPF and an internship
Total credit: 15-18 U.S. semester/22.5-27 quarter credits
- CIEE courses: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours
- CIEE Internship: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 15 seminar hours, 100 internship placement hours
- The Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) host institution courses: 3 U.S. semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours, unless otherwise noted
Courses are academically challenging and involve daily reading, homework assignments, and attendance at lectures and field trips. Students are responsible for knowing dates of exams and assignments. Dates are firm and attendance is required. Students are expected to work independently and add readings from the syllabi to cover material not touched on in lectures.
UPF-HESP courses include no more than 35 students (all American); UPF direct enrollment classes may include up to 90 students from Spain and other countries around the world. CIEE courses rarely exceed 20 students and include only CIEE students. Classrooms are comfortable and equipped with current technology.
In CIEE and UPF-HESP courses, students are evaluated based on class participation, in-class activities, homework assignments, exams, papers, and oral presentations. In UPF direct enrollment courses, students are typically graded on class participation, problem sets or projects, and a final exam. UPF-HESP and UPF direct enrollment professors grade on a 10-point scale, and points are converted to U.S. letter grades.
Language of Instruction
CoursesClick to Open
- Students must have at least five semesters of college level Spanish plus advance written permission from their home institution to do an internship.
- Once internship hours are started, students may not drop the internship and take another CIEE course.
- UPF host institution courses are regular UPF classes taught with Spanish students with a different academic system.
- UPF HESP (Hispanic and European Studies Program) host institution courses are only for international students.
Fall 2021 Courses and syllabi will be available here in January 2021.
Host Institution CoursesClick to Open
UNIVERSITAT POMPEU FABRA (UPF)
UPF Hispanic and European Studies Program (HESP) Courses
Not all classes are offered each semester. The final list of courses will be available upon arrival in Barcelona.
- Catalan Language and Culture / Lengua y Cultura Catalanas
- Contemporary Spanish Literature / Literatura Española Contemporánea
- Images of Spain in Contemporary Cinema / Imágenes de España en el Cine Contemporáneo
- Literature and Politics in Latin America / Literatura y Política en América Latina
- Social Movements in the 21st Century: Globalization, Crisis and Democratization Processes / Los Movimientos Sociales en el Siglo XXI Ante la Globalización, la Crisis y Los Procesos de Democratización
- Society and Politics in Contemporary Spain / Sociedad y Política en la España Contemporánea
- Spanish: Oral Expression Techniques / Técnicas de Expresión Oral
- Barcelona, the City and Its History/ Barcelona, la Ciudad y su Historia.
- From Cultural Stereotypes to Transcultural Dialogue/ De los Estereotipos Culturales al Diálogo Transcultural
- The International Protection of Human Rights/ La Protección Internacional de los Derechos Humanos
- TV Fiction, Globalization and Cultural Identities/ Ficción Televisiva, Globalización e Identidades Culturales
Host Institution classes at UPF
The following list is a general selection of regular UPF courses available to international students and is subject to change.
- Fundamental Philosophy Themes /Temas Fundamentales de la Filosofía (UPF-Humanities)
- Great Religious Traditions/ Grandes Tradiciones Religiosas (UPF-Humanities)
- Introduction to Literary Studies / Introducción a los Estudios Literarios (UPF - Humanities)
- Medieval History / Historia Medieval (UPF - Humanities)
- Primitive Art / Arte Primitivo (UPF - Humanities)
- Ancient History/ Historia Antigua (UPF - Humanities)
- Introduction to Literary Studies / Introducción a los Estudios Literarios (UPF - Humanities)
- Modern Thought / Pensamiento Moderno (UPF - Humanities)
- Renaissance Art/ Arte del Renacimiento (UPF-Humanities)
- Contemporary Art/Arte Contemporáneo (UPF - Humanities)
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
Fees & Housing
|Fall 2021 16 weeks||Apr 1, 2021||Sep 2, 2021*||Dec 23, 2021*|
*Dates for this program are provided as tentative dates. Please consult with your study abroad advisor to confirm dates before purchasing your flights.
To help you budget, keep in mind that students are responsible for the cost of international airfare, local transportation, books and supplies, visas, and personal expenses. In addition, your college or university may charge additional fees for study abroad, or may require you to receive a transcript via CIEE's School of Record, which carries an additional fee of $500.
Looking for funding?
What's IncludedClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply Now
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Send us an email if you still have questions or need information about applying to this program.