Information for term Global Internship
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineMay 1, 2020
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: May 1, 2020
- Dates: Aug 17 – Nov 21, 2020 (14 weeks)
- Credit: 12 - 15 semester hours / 18 - 22.5 quarter hours
OverviewClick to Open
CIEE Global Internship programs are built just for you! All our locations offer a wide range of internship opportunities across a diverse set of industries. When you apply, we work directly with you to find an internship that suits your unique needs and professional goals. Learn more about our personalized placement process.
Get to know the characteristically relaxed yet globally competitive work place culture in one of the Southern Hemisphere’s hubs for trade, finance, tech, and media production. Sydney is both the capital of Australia’s business and the launching point for exchange of goods, services, and ideas with the country’s Asian neighbors.
Take a well-earned break
at the magnificent, world-renowned Bondi Beach.
in weekly local start-up meet-ups and annual entrepreneurship festivals.
Explore aboriginal art
during a visit to the Royal National Park.
Number of Sydneysiders, or residents of Sydney5M+
Parks and open spaces in the city of Sydney400
tons of fish sold each day at The Sydney Fish Market - the largest in the Southern Hemisphere52
Location & CultureClick to Open
Sydney’s origins trace back to an area inhabited by Indigenous Australians for over 30,000 years, first visited by Europeans in the 1770’s and settled as a penal colony in 1788. With a population of around five million, Sydney is a cosmopolitan, open-minded, multicultural city. Nearly half of its residents speak a language other than English at home and 36% were born overseas. Sydney is consistently ranked as one of the best cities to live globally, and it is renowned for its social inclusion, diversity, and tolerance.
Excursions & Activities
- Step back in time with a visit to the Australian War Memorial and the Reconciliation Place in the nation’s capital, Canberra. Learn about the politics of Australia along with its rich history.
- Kayak with your “mates” through Sydney Harbor before a traditional Australian BBQ.
- Hike the spectacular Blue Mountains with experienced and informed guides ready to share the environmental and cultural history of the spectacular landscape.
- Take advantage of resume help and interviewing skills based on local business culture.
- Explore the professional working world of Sydney through organizational site visits, industry networking events, and guest lectures.
- Participate in workshops that will help you make the most of your internship.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Students in Sydney will live across a variety of housing locations. Housing options are mostly twin rooms with some single and triple rooms. Students will share a kitchen and other facilities with others. Housing locations are all in convenient locations to shops, cafes, and public transport within the city area and are within a commute of around 30-minutes to the Global Institute Sydney.
You will have shared kitchen facilities to prepare meals or purchase food and drinks at local grocers. Sydney has a vibrant food scene with fresh local fruits, vegetables, and meats readily available. You’ll easily find Australian food is influenced from all corners of the globe.
Where You'll Study
Sydney Opera House
A world famous Sydney landmark.
One of the most popular beaches in the world for sunbathing, rugby, volleyball, and surfing.
A bustling downtown shopping area filled with entertainment.
Like what you're seeing so far?
Program DetailsClick to Open
What you need to knowThe program details
As a global intern in Sydney, you’ll work in a non-paying position within a wide range of opportunities across a diverse set of innovative industries. Co-curricular excursions and cultural activities in and around Sydney complement your coursework and immerse you in the history and culture of the city.
This semester length program includes 6 weeks of academic coursework followed by an 8-week full-time internship and online academic seminar. Class environment varies depending on the course and is designed to follow U.S. academic culture and standards.
AcademicsClick to Open
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.5. Students participating in the Sydney Semester Global Internship program must maintain full-time student status at their home university while participating in the CIEE program, and must have matriculated full-time at their home university at least three months prior to application. Students should be prepared to obtain a signed letter from their home university confirming student matriculation details. Additional visa restrictions may apply, and CIEE will advise students as part of the early application process.
Upon completing the two electives during the first six-week block, students participate in an academic seminar taught in an online learning environment alongside the 8-week, full-time internship. The two electives, the seminar and the internship are all required components of the program.
Total credit for the program is 12-15 semester/18-22.5 quarter credits.
Explore finance, global heath, human rights, and more with our many course offerings.
Students will enroll in:
- Two CIEE elective courses offered on a six-week academic block system
- Eight-week full-time internship with an integrated online academic seminar
- Optional CIEE elective course: Doing Business in Asia-Pacific
Total credit: 12-16 semester/18-24 quarter credits
- CIEE courses: 3 semester/4.5 quarter credits; 45 contact hours
- CIEE Internship: 6 semester/9 quarter credits; 30 seminar hours, 200-240 internship placement hours
Language of Instruction
- Weeks 1-6
- 2 CIEE elective courses
- Weeks 7-14
- INSH 3826 HYBR: Academic Internship in a Global Workplace
- One additional CIEE elective course (optional)
- All internships are offered in English.
- Students should expect to spend 30-32 hours per week engaged in internship project work.
- Week 1-6 elective courses are chosen from any of the courses offered through the Open Campus program in Block I. Courses are listed under the “SPRING 2020 BLOCK I CIEE COURSES” section below.
- The optional Week 7-14 elective is listed under the “SPRING 2020 CIEE COURSES” section below.
- “GI” denotes courses that are offered at multiple Global Institutes.
Note: This course listing is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract between CIEE and any applicant, student, institution, or other party. The courses, as described, may be subject to change as a result of ongoing curricular revisions, assignment of lecturers and teaching staff, and program development. Courses may be canceled due to insufficient enrollment.
CoursesClick to Open
Fall 2020 CIEE CoursesClick to Open
Business, Economics, Management, and Marketing
Communication, Journalism, and Media
Health Professions and Related Programs
Natural Resources, Conservation, and the Environment
ScholarshipsClick to Open
Scholarships & Grants
CIEE offers more than $8 million in scholarships and grants annually to help students like you make your study abroad dream a reality.
Students who apply to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant
To be considered, submit the CIEE Scholarships & Grants application within your CIEE program application. Learn more at the Scholarships & Grants section of our website.See more scholarship info
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE, because our high-quality programs include everything from excursions to insurance. There are no hidden charges, and no disappointing surprises when you arrive.
YOUR FEE INCLUDES:
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport pick-up
- Multi-day on-site orientation – introducing students to Sydney community and culture, and the CIEE academic program
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
No Hidden Fees
Fees & Housing
|Fall 2020 14 weeks||May 1, 2020||Aug 17, 2020||Nov 21, 2020||
Click to Close
CIEE offers the most student support of any provider in its program fee, including an airport greeting, full-time leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, pre-departure advising, and CIEE iNext travel insurance with benefits.
Participation Confirmation = $300 *
Educational Costs = $8,883
Housing = $3,500
Insurance = $167Total Fees = $12,850
Students are responsible and manage costs related to travel, meals, books, and personal expenses. Below are estimates for consideration.
Meals not included in program fee = $2,340
International Airfare = $1,600 †
Local Transportation = $250
Books & Supplies = $300
Visa Fees = $350 ††
Personal expenses = $2,220Total Estimated Costs = $7,060
CIEE offers the most grants and scholarships of any study abroad organization, including $8 million/year in travel grants, merit-based scholarships, institutional and MSI grants, and Gilman Go Global Grants.
This breakdown has been prepared from the program budget for the purpose of calculating eligibility for financial aid. During the course of program operations, actual figures may vary. It should not, therefore, be used as a basis for calculation of refunds. CIEE reserves the right to adjust fees at any time.
Students required to study on CIEE programs through a School of Record will be charged a $500 administrative fee in addition to the Program Fees listed.
† Roundtrip based on U.S. East Coast Departure
†† Required for students attending a full semester
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
Get StartedHere's what you need to do to take the next steps:
START AN APPLICATIONApply
You're one step closer to an amazing study abroad experience!
CONNECT WITH YOUR CAMPUS STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Share your plans and confirm you're on track to meet all required steps to go abroad.
Send an email to our friendly advisors at CIEE.
You might also like
Cape Town, South Africa