6 Best Study Abroad Programs in Australia

If you’re planning to study abroad in the Land Down Under, take note of our top study abroad programs. And heads up, we have a ton; each offering its own unique insight into incredible Australia 

Where to Study Abroad in Australia  

Australia’s natural landscapes, exciting wildlife, history, and culture, make it a wonderful place to study abroad. And did you know that the first civilization in Australia, the Aboriginals, is considered the world’s oldest civilization? Their customs alone have shaped a unique and interesting culture throughout the country. Many Aboriginal communities still exist today. There’s so much to explore here! 

What’s more, the country’s higher education system is globally recognized, especially in disciplines like health sciences and humanities, engineering, environment, ecology, and more. In other words, in Australia you’ll get to explore an intriguing new place while receiving an enviable education. It’s a win-win.  

Australia boasts several exciting cities, but our favorite for study abroad has to be Sydney!  

Sydney  

The largest city in the country, Sydney is a multicultural metropolis with miles of beautiful beaches, wonderful weather year-round, modern and unique architecture, renowned cultural attractions like the Sydney Opera House, and more.  

Plus, Sydney is an incredibly diverse city, with non-natives comprising more than a third of its population. So, you’ll get to meet and study alongside people from all over the world. Sydney offers a true multicultural opportunity.  

Read on as we list six of Sydney’s best study abroad programs. Discover which makes the most sense for your personal and academic goals.  

sydney australia opera house sunset

The 6 Best Study Abroad Programs in Australia 

Create your own study abroad program in Sydney with our Open Campus Block program. You’ll get to choose from one, two, or up to three consecutive six-week blocks and select courses from a wide range of subject areas in this fun cosmopolitan city.  

Program highlights: 

• Program Length: Six to 18 weeks 
  • Credit: 6-7 per Block semester hours/9-10.5 per Block quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Cost: $6,950 per Block 
  • Featured Course: The Business of Brewing  
  • Excursion Highlight: Hike the incredible Blue Mountains  

If you’re looking for an Australia study abroad program with a variety of courses and the chance to study at a top-ranked university, look no further than our Arts + Sciences program in Sydney. At The University of New South Wales, you’ll get to explore your passions while being within walking distance to beaches and national parks.  

Program highlights: 

• Program Length: 20 weeks 
  • Credit: 14-18 semester hours/21-27 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 3.0 Overall GPA 
  • Cost: $20,850 
  • Featured Course: Intercultural Communication and Leadership  
  • Excursion Highlight: Visit the Australian Museum   

sydney australia forest exploration

Gain real-world professional experience in Sydney with our Global Internship program. This Australian city is known for its advances in trade, finance, tech, and media production, as well as being a major exporter of goods and services. Dive into Sydney’s business practices and jumpstart your career – you’re going to be a major standout to future employers.  

You’ll also have the chance to attend professional networking events, participate in several industry-related workshops, and receive personalized resume and interview help.  

And don’t worry. The Global Internship isn’t all work and no play. You’ll still have the chance to go on plenty of incredible excursions and activities – kayak through Sydney Harbor, indulge in a delicious traditional Australian BBQ, and visit the country’s many amazing museums and memorials.  

Spend part of your winter break in warm and sunny Sydney! Our January program is the perfect opportunity to gain some extra credits and go on an adventure of a lifetime during an Australia study abroad program.  

Program highlights: 

• Program Length: Three weeks 
  • Credit: 3 per session semester hours/4.5 per session quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Cost: $4,250 
  • Featured Course: Sustainable Tourism  
  • Excursion Highlight: Go on an Aboriginal cultural tour and learn more about the world’s oldest civilization  

sydney australia students in classroom january

Spend your summer working alongside professionals in an industry you’re passionate about! Our Summer Global Internship will have you explore Sydney’s business world, develop professional skills, and network with experts in the field, all while exploring one of Australia’s coolest cities.  

You’ll get to visit the Taronga Zoo, take a surfing lesson at Bondi Beach, snorkel in crystal clear waters, and tons more. 

Program highlights: 

• Program Length: Eight weeks 
  • Credit: 6 semester hours/9 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Cost: $6,950 
  • Excursion Highlight: Go on a guided tour of Sydney Harbour National Park  

There’s no better place to spend your summer than in Sydney, a truly remarkable natural wonder. You’ll get the opportunity to choose from a variety of courses that are interesting to you and discover the city’s food, arts, and entertainment scene!  

• Program Length: Six weeks 
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA 
  • Cost: $6,650 
  • Featured Course: Representation of Society and Culture in Art  
  • Excursion Highlight: Visit the Royal National Park and observe some incredible animals native to Australia like the kookaburra  

sydney opera house group summer sun

Australia is Calling 

As you can see, we offer plenty of diverse and unique programs in the Land Down Under! And remember, we offer millions in scholarships and grants each year to help make study abroad dreams a reality for thousands of students.  

So, if you’re set on an Australian study abroad program and think you could benefit from some extra financial assistance, make sure to complete the Scholarships & Grants section of your CIEE application. We’ll automatically consider you for any awards you may be eligible for. And, we’re always available should you have any questions, too. 

Studying abroad in Australia promises to be an adventure of a lifetime, and with our programs in Sydney, you’ll be sure to experience all that this fascinating country offers!