Why Study Abroad in Rome? Top 5 Reasons

Looking for a good reason to study abroad in Rome, Italy? We’ll give you five. Or rather, “cinque!” 

The top 5 reasons to study abroad in Rome include: 

1. You study in what was once the center of the world. 
  2. You discover a culture you only thought you knew. 
  3. You can work on projects meaningful to the local community. 
  4. You can learn how to actually cook your favorite Italian foods. 
  5. It’s really easy to be an international student in Italy. 

5 Reasons to Study Abroad in Rome 

There are, of course, way more than five reasons to choose Rome for your study abroad adventure. But if you’re trying to decide if Italy is right for you, then we offer this list of five reasons why CIEE students and staff say Italy is a must.  

Reason #1: You study in what was once the center of the world. 

Based in the Eternal City of Rome, CIEE lands you in what was very much considered caput mundi, or the capital of the world, for hundreds of years. In fact, Rome enjoyed the longest-enduring Western empire of all time.  

Study here and you will experience this ancient civilization’s fascinating legacy through onsite exploration of its political and cultural institutions, including famous UNESCO World Heritage Sites like the Roman Forum and the Colosseum. It may just give you a whole new perspective on modern government affairs. 

Reason #2: You discover a culture you only thought you knew. 

Italy’s influence on the world is undeniable. Whether in school or out, you’re no doubt familiar with the works of Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo. You’ve seen images of the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, and Villas of Tivoli, too. But do you really know them? Studying in Italy is your chance to discover, with your own eyes, the reason for their enduring influence and admiration. 

Student tip: CIEE alums report favorably on the courses that incorporate purposeful onsite visits and guest lectures from experts in specialized fields. We offer these opportunities in spades. Some of CIEE Italy’s most favored courses are those on art history. We bet you can guess why.  

study abroad students in rome cooking pizza

Reason #3: You can work on projects meaningful to the local community. 

The best way to immerse into a new culture is to engage with it. That’s why our students are encouraged to work within the local community and contribute to its well-being. This could be through internships or volunteer projects. 

Some programs even provide you the chance to join in programs like Retake Roma, a massive anti-graffiti campaign that reclaims derelict areas of Rome to restore their original beauty and instill greater civic pride. 

Reason #4: You can learn how to actually cook your favorite Italian foods. 

Sure, you know how to make pizza. Maybe even gelato. Maaay-be 

But study in Rome and you will have the opportunity to learn how to cook like a real Italian. And that is a skill for which your tastebuds will thank you for years to come. Need we say more? 

Reason #5: It’s really easy to be an international student in Italy. 

That’s key for many students. Maybe you, too.  

And by easy, we mean that Rome is relatively affordable, it’s safe, and there are tons of amazing study abroad programs in Rome. Let us explain. 

study abroad excursion in rome

The Cost of Studying in Rome

The fee for studying in Italy ranges from $3,850 to $6,950 depending on which CIEE program you choose. This typically covers your educational costs, housing, pre-departure advising, airport greeting, full-time on-site leadership and support, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions, and travel insurance. So, quite a bit. 

Plus, many of Rome’s religious and secular sites are completely free of charge. As an aside, did you know that Rome boasts more than 900 churches, 280 fountains, and an overwhelmingly large number of public monuments? That’s a lot of great sites to see, and most can be done on the cheap. 

Safety in Rome

As far as safety goes, Rome is widely considered to be a safe place to travel making life in Italy for foreigners quite carefree. So go and enjoy!  

Plus, if you opt for a study abroad program with CIEE, you get a worldwide team of support, including experienced global risk management professionals who help ensure your well-being. Our experts will be with you every step of the way. 

The Incredible Programming 

Finally, the study abroad programs in Rome are perhaps what makes it so easy to choose to study here. We offer: 

Live and Learn in Rome 

There are so many reasons to choose Rome, Italy study abroad. We could go on and on and on. We haven’t even mentioned the amazing Italian language skills you will gain – which you undoubtedly will! Promettiamo (we promise). 

Be sure to discover for yourself why Rome a good place to study abroad and find your perfect CIEE program today!