Where to study abroad in Asia/Pacific this January?

Asia and the Pacific are home to some of the world’s oldest cultures, stunning natural landscapes, and delicious foods. Why not experience their incredible wonders this winter break? Each three-and-a-half-week January session makes for the ideal stretch to explore, gain hands-on experience, and earn credits toward graduation.

Now to the tough question - Kyoto, Shanghai, or Sydney? Let’s break it down.

Photo for blog post Where to study abroad in Asia/Pacific this January?

Kyoto, Japan

As Japan's former capital city, Kyoto is the premier hub of traditional Japanese culture, filled with ancient palaces, classic teahouses, and peaceful Zen gardens.

EARN COURSE CREDITS IN…

Japanese Manga and Art. Did you read Naruto, Bleach, or Fullmetal Alchemist? If so, you’ll love this course. In it, you’ll explore the history of manga, its artistic styles, and its impact and reception in society. With roots in traditional visual arts, illustrated literature and animation films hold a special place in Japanese society, especially Kyoto, which is home to the International Manga Museum.

PERFECT FOR…

Laid-back students. If you’re always on-the-go or love the bright city lights, Shanghai and Sydney might be better options for you. Kyoto maintains its traditional values and provides the idyllic environment to immerse yourself in the Japanese language and culture. By the end of program, you’ll come away with a strong knowledge and appreciation for Japan.

THINGS TO DO…

Explore all of Kyoto’s treasured temples, shrines, palaces, castles, and gardens! Kyoto is home to more than 1,600 temples, 400 colorful shrines, and 14 UNESCO World Heritage sites! You’ll be amazed at the unique architecture and beauty of each, from the Imperial Palace to the Kiyomizu-dera Temple to Fushimi Inari Taisha. There are also plenty of markets, teahouses, and cafes available to enjoy flavorsome teas and desserts, especially matcha-flavored goodies.

Shanghai, China

With a population of over 24 million people, Shanghai is a global hub of culture, commerce, and finance.

EARN COURSE CREDITS IN…

Marketing Management and Methods in East Asia and Emerging Markets. Whether you’re majoring in economics, international business, management, marketing, or just interested in China’s business environment, explore Asian marketing strategies and gain an in-depth understanding of international business in China – the world’s second largest economy! Take a field trip to the Volkswagen factory and analyze case studies from successful Western and Asian companies, including Apple, KFC, and Toyota. 

PERFECT FOR…

Students that love the hustle and bustle of a big city. Shanghai is unlike anywhere else in the world, with a unique blend of modern and traditional as well as Eastern and Western cultures in its architecture, food, fashion, and more. From the world’s second tallest building and streak of skyscrapers in the financial district to charming neighborhoods lined with lane houses, Shanghai is a feast for the eyes. If you can embrace the unexpected, this exhilarating, vibrant, and safe city is for you.

THINGS TO DO…

From shopping on Nanjing Road to walking along the Bund, exploring the Longhua Temple to sailing on a riverboat tour, relaxing at the Yu Garden to eating tasty soup dumplings – you’ll never be bored in Shanghai. And if you need a break from the city, you can get away and explore the beautiful and ancient water towns of Zhouzhuang, Zhujiajiao, and Wuzhen.

Sydney, Australia

Once a British penal colony, Sydney is the largest city in the land down under and hosts some 35,000 international students.

EARN COURSE CREDITS IN…

International Marketing. Learn how to create an international marketing and branding plan, evaluate real-world factors that contribute to successful marketing plans, and explore the internet’s impact on international markets. Hear from local business professionals during company visits designed to bring your coursework to life.

PERFECT FOR…

Adventurous and outdoorsy students! You’ll find a bit of everything in this major global city, and though there are plenty of skyscrapers downtown, Sydney is mainly known as a beach town. Did you know there are nearly 100 beaches along the coast to visit, from world-famous Bondi and Manly to well-kept secret ones. You can also head south of Sydney for incredible hiking trails. If you love being around nature and/or the ocean – Sydney is calling your name.

THINGS TO DO…

There’s a little bit of everything in Sydney. Relax at sun-soaked Bondi Beach, eat at a world-famous restaurant, kayak in scenic Sydney Harbour, catch a fun concert in the park, explore a museum, or stroll through the botanical gardens. Between the land and the sea, this multicultural, laid-back city has plenty to offer.

No matter which you choose, you’re bound to have the most memorable winter break ever! If you still can’t decide, take our quiz – and remember, no one said you can’t study abroad more than once.