What This Summer in London Taught Me

Global Internship

Renee S.

Hi everyone!!

It has been a little over a week since I zipped up my suitcases and boarded an eight-hour plane back to the US. Leaving my new home in London was difficult, especially having to say goodbye to my friends. Despite no longer living in the same dorm building as my friends, we still keep in touch. With a little help from technology, it is easy to stay in contact with people who are miles away! Looking back, I am so grateful for this opportunity. My summer abroad was filled with so much joy, and I compiled this video of all the little happy moments from my trip!

These last two months were better than I ever expected- I laughed, traveled, grew, wandered, and learned so much! Here is a list of some things that this summer has taught me:

What This Summer in London Taught Me

• How to be more independent: From going grocery shopping to navigating the tube transport system, I have learned how to do simple adult tasks on my own. Along with living on my own in London, working as an intern four days a week has also helped me become more independent and confident in myself.
  • Work/life balance:  One of the most important things that I learned was finding the right balance between work and "me time." Planning ahead and managing my time well allowed me to complete homework assignments on time while also having time to relax and see friends. 
  • Professional development and networking: The CIEE Global Internship program helped me develop professionally and build a stronger network. My internship gave me real-word experiences and connected me with people in my field. Through article readings, guest speakers, and co-curriculars, the CIEE academic course gave me insight into how to succeed in my internship and prepare for my future job.
  • An appreciation for different ways of life: Living in London and traveling to different places in Europe, I met people with all sorts of backgrounds and cultures! My time abroad taught me about the importance of being open to trying new things and learning about different ways of living.

I plan to use what I've learned this summer in my life back home. This experience abroad has sparked a desire in me to continue to travel to new places and explore different cultures. My global internship experience has made me more confident in myself and equipped me with the tools and skills to find my dream job. I came to London not really knowing anyone and nervous about living in such a big city, but I left with friends from all over the world and memories that will last a lifetime!