Welcome to *London, It's Been Waiting For You

Global Internship

Cara G.

Hi everyone (thought I would include a play on Taylor Swift's "Welcome to New York" in my title:))! 

Welcome to my study abroad blog!! My name is Cara and I am junior studying Political Science at Truman State University, located in Northern Missouri. During this semester I will be participating in the London Global Internship program where I will take two classes for the first six weeks, I am enrolled in European Immigration and British Contemporary Theatre (too excited about these classes), and will then intern at One Young World, a non-profit that empowers young leaders around the globe, for the final eight weeks. Without a doubt, I am so excited to have the opportunity to learn in London, as well as experience what it is like to work in this bustling and diverse city! I also cannot wait to share all about my experiences along the way! 

Believe it or not, this semester abroad in London is actually my first time outside of the United States. Before coming to London, I had no idea what it would be like to experience a different culture firsthand. I knew what the articles said about London, that it has great fish and chips, is one of the most diverse cities in the world, and an economic powerhouse, etc.. However, none of the articles could have prepared me for the amazing experiences I have had in my first two weeks here. Living in a different culture has truly opened my eyes to world and given me a different perspective on things. Through my class excursions I have been able to experience London's cutting-edge theatre scene by seeing Swive at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre and learning about the immigrant experience while walking the streets of some of the most culturally diverse neighborhoods in London. Additionally, I have been able to see some of London's most famous sites on an old-school red double-decker bus tour during the CIEE orientation and experience firsthand the impact of historical events such as Brexit and 'Megxit'. Although I haven't even been here a full two weeks, my view of the world has already broadened and I have a newfound appreciation for the rich history and culture present in London. 

Reading about 'Megxit' on the tube...am I British yet?

I thought I would end with sharing some of the goals I outlined for myself before leaving London, together we can see if I make progress toward them: 

1. To truly learn what it means to be a global citizen and become one. 

2. To continually step out of my comfort zone (whether it be trying new food or doing something I have never done before!) 

3. To immerse myself in the British working culture. 

4. To become an expert at using public transportation!

I am so excited to see what the rest of my semester in London has ~waiting for me~ (just to bring it full circle), if it is anything like the past week or so, it is bound to be a pretty incredible!!