Study Abroad in South Korea: The Ultimate Guide

Known officially as the Republic of Korea, South Korea is brimming with exciting excursions and educational opportunities – not to mention an incredible food and culture scene!  

It’s no wonder why many students are choosing to study abroad in Korea. And, with a study abroad South Korea program, you’ll be dazzled by this delightful country, all while earning credits toward your degree and gaining a more global perspective.  

Follow on as we discuss the best – and easiest – ways for how to study abroad in Korea.  

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to Studying Abroad in South Korea 

Is Korea Good for Studying Abroad?  

If you’re asking yourself, “Is Korea good for studying abroad?” the answer is a resounding yes! Often called the “Land of the Morning Calm,” South Korea’s international influence, modern innovations, crazy-good cuisine, and historic monuments and sites (some are even considered to be ancient), make any Korea study abroad program the adventure of a lifetime.  

All our study abroad Korea programs take place in South Korea’s capital, Seoul, with its stunning cityscape and history that dates back more than two thousand years. There’s no denying South Korea has much to offer.  

Plus, with a Korea study abroad experience, you’ll be broadening your educational horizons and learning about different cultures and customs. You can’t beat that! Here are just a few top things you’ll want to pencil into your itinerary while you’re away on your Korea study abroad program: 

• Discover Seoul’s modern architecture, including unique high-rise buildings; this city is even known as a World Design Capital because of its many design accomplishments and innovations   
  • Visit some of the hundreds of fascinating museums and religious monuments throughout Seoul   
  • Get acquainted with some of the trends from the Korean Wave, like the K-Pop music scene; you’ll be glad you did 

If sightseeing is more your speed, you’ll want to check out these incredible spots that show off South Korea’s beautiful natural landscapes: 

• Seoraksan National Park: A perfect place in between the mountains and the sea  
  • Taean Coastal National Park: Miles and miles of coastline make this the ideal location to watch some of the most beautiful sunsets  
  • Yangpyeong: Feast your eyes on the beginning of the Han River in this stunning location 

And when you’re not studying for your courses (trust us, you will certainly be busy!) you might want to jump in and learn about some of South Korea’s history outside of the classroom. Here are a few history-rich sites to explore while you’re diving into your Korea study abroad program: 

• Renowned palaces such as Gyeongbokgung and Changdeokgung, while wearing hanbok (traditional Korean clothing)  
  • Ancient temples steeped in history 
  • Historic sites like Bukchon Hanok Village  

With so much to do, see, and learn as part of your studies while participating in a Korea study abroad program, you’re guaranteed to have the most incredible time – and that makes South Korea a fantastic destination for a study abroad adventure! 

seoul city wall walk lookout

How to Study Abroad in Korea  

We know, we know – you’re ready to jet off to South Korea! But there are a few things you’ll want to consider as you prepare for your studies abroad. Don’t worry, we can help you get started. 

The first step in how to study abroad in Korea is to browse our program offerings to see which study abroad South Korea program best fits your schedule. If you’re asking, “Can I study abroad in South Korea?” this step will give you a good idea of what your academic commitments will be and will help you determine which courses you’ll want to take.   

The next step is to start your application with CIEE! You can learn more about the application process here. And we’re always here to support you, so feel free to reach out with any questions! 

Additionally, you might be wondering, “how much does it cost to study abroad in Korea?” And we know that funding your program abroad isn’t always easy. That’s why we award millions in scholarships and grants each year – to help make as many study abroad dreams come true as much possible.   

We award scholarships and grants based on three categories:   

• Need-Based: These scholarships are based on students’ financial need 
  • Merit-Based: These scholarships are based on academic standing   
  • Other Funding: Scholarships based on alumni status or specific program choice 

Take note of some specific study abroad Korea scholarships and grants available for a study abroad program in South Korea:   

• Wollitzer Merit Scholarships in Area of Comparative Studies  
  • Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence  
  • Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants  
  • CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant  
  • CIEE STEM Scholarship  

And more! We’re always available if you have any questions, too. Just contact us!  

Pro tip: Be sure to also check with your school’s study abroad office to see if they know of additional scholarships, grants, and other funding options to help fund your international adventure. 

city wall seoul gate

Read More: Top 5 Places to Study Abroad in the Asia-Pacific Region 

Korea Study Abroad Packing List 

Now that you’re considering a study abroad South Korea adventure, we’ve compiled a list of all the must-have items for your study abroad Korea packing list! Be sure to review this list as you prepare for your travels: 

Essential documents: 

• Passport + a photocopy (just in case) 
  • Visa + a photocopy  
  • A second form of valid ID (e.g., driver’s license or government-issued ID) 
  • Plane tickets  
  • Proof of health insurance 
  • Proof of CIEE enrollment 
  • Cash (South Korea uses the won)  

Other essential items: 

• Comfortable walking shoes 
  • Camera to capture the beautiful South Korean cityscapes and natural landscapes  
  • One nice outfit for special occasions 
  • Prescription medications, enough for the stay if possible 
  • Preferred over-the-counter medications 
  • Prescription eyewear 
  • Adapters to charge your current tech in South Korean electrical outlets 

You’ll want to ensure you have everything you need to make the most of your study abroad Korea experience. 

Read More: The Ultimate Guide to Your Study Abroad Packing List (10 Essential Items!) 

Best South Korea Study Abroad Programs  

If South Korea sounds like the perfect destination for a study abroad adventure, you’re in luck! We offer many program options in this incredible country, so consider a variety of choices for how to study abroad in Korea and select a program that best fits your schedule and personal goals. Here’s a few of our favorites: 

Program #1: Open Campus Block  

Customize your study abroad experience through this program while getting to know the amazing city of Seoul! 

Program details:  

• Length: Six weeks 
  • Credits: 6-7 per Block semester hours/9-10.5 per Block quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Cost: $6,950 

Program #2: Summer Global Internship  

Gain an edge in the workplace by immersing yourself in Seoul’s cultural scene and diversifying your resume with international experience in this full-time internship opportunity.  

Program details:  

• Length: Eight weeks 
  • Credits: 6 Semester hours/9 Quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Cost: $7,450 

seoul mountain excursion study abroad south korea

Program #3: Summer Korean Studies  

In this program, you’ll take courses in English at CIEE’s top-ranked partner school, Yonsei University, including business practices, history, literature, Korean language, and more!  

Program details:  

• Length: Six weeks 
  • Credits: 6-9 per semester hours/9-13.5 per quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.0 Overall GPA  
  • Cost: $8,750 

Program #4: Arts + Sciences  

You’ll get to select from courses that cover a wide array of subjects, including architecture, engineering, internal relations, and history – offered in English or Korean during this semester-long study abroad program.  

Program details:  

• Length: 17 weeks 
  • Credits: 15-18 per semester hours/22.5-27per quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Cost: $18,950 

South Korea is Calling 

As you can see, we’re not kidding when we say that a study abroad South Korea program will be unforgettable. All that’s left to do is get started!  

EXPLORE SOUTH KOREA STUDY ABROAD