The Reality

Christine B.

If you have ever done any traveling whether or it’s been in the states or not, then you know what traveling usually entails. It means that you should be having fun exploring, eating, seeing the sights, and making great memories! And while you’re having a good time and not having a care in the world, you also usually know that to keep your guard up to some extent for basic safety precautions. It doesn’t matter where you are in the world or if you’re even walking around your hometown, it’s always good to be aware of your surroundings because any place can be dangerous if you’re in the right situation. This is not to scare you out of coming to Cape Town but I just want to inform you that you shouldn’t be a dumb traveler either. I tell my friends and family every time they travel that they should always be aware of their surroundings and to make smart decisions. So why shouldn’t I hold those same expectations to myself and to you, the person reading this? Whether I’ve been to South Africa, Europe, Asia, or even around the United States, I kept those same expectations and ideals for when I went to South Africa.

In South Africa, you’ll find that while Apartheid was abolished, there is still a presence of between the white and black people. Me being short and Asain, sort of made it stick out more because I was obviously not like the natives in the way I looked, talked, and dressed. I am by no means faulting or blaming South Africa for what happened but to not share my experience would be negligent too. I like to think I’m a smart traveler and usually it works out in my favor. I don’t dress obscenely, talk loudly, or try to draw much attention to myself. But there are always going to times and places that even if you try your best, you can still attract attention to yourself, which I did when walking home one day from work.

While walking home from work on a Tuesday that was not particularly special, my coworker and I were robbed. Actually, my coworker was robbed and I just happened to be standing next to him when it happened. We’d been walking for maybe 10 minutes when we noticed a group of 7-8 guys walking behind us. Me being a slow walker suggested we move to the other side of the street to that they could pass up and be on their way. We kept walking, not thinking much of the group as we assumed they’d pick up their speed and pass us on the opposing side walk. What tipped me off that something wasn’t right was when they crossed the street to the side we were on and began trying to talk to us. It became really unsettling when one of the guys approached us saying things like, “it’s okay”, “you’re safe”, and “there’s nothing to worry about”. Just those statements on their own were unnerving but it didn’t help that the group of guys stopped ahead of us while one spoke to us while simultaneously backing us into a corner where we couldn’t run from. What came next happened so quickly that it didn’t fully process in my mind until the guys were already running away from us. In a split second, the guy put his hand on my coworkers shoulder and then ripped his golden chain off on his neck. Luckily that was all that happened and I’m happy that nothing more happened because 2 against 7 could of turned real ugly real quick. 

I’m not writing this blog post to scare you into not coming to Cape Town because it’s honestly one of the most beautiful countries that I’ve been to. I’m writing this to let you know of the realities of this world and that this can and does happen everywhere in the world. Because if you let fear of something bad happening to you run rampant in your head, you’d never leave your home and you’d miss out missing out on everything that South Africa has to offer. 

So don’t come to South Africa or anywhere really with the mindset that something can’t happen to you because it really can. No one is immune to ‘the right place at the right time’ situations; good or bad.