Exploring El Born with CIEE Students

Business + Culture

Amy A.

Hi all!

My name is Amy Alonzi and I'll be one of the bloggers for the CIEE Barcelona programs this semester. I am currently participating in the Business + Culture Program, in which I can take classes that will transfer back to my home university for my major and minor. We've been here for about two weeks, and it's been a fun experience so far settling into the city and meeting students from around the world! Yesterday, I participated in an activity organized by one of CIEE's Guardian Angels (GAs - local students who help CIEE students explore Barcelona), Elena. We walked around the Born Neighborhood while getting to know each other better!

Photo for blog post Exploring El Born with CIEE Students
A street artist started a trend a while back of using cans to write street names or love letters in the neighborhood. Street signs like this one can be found throughout a walk!

Other fun street art and shops can be found throughout the neighborhood. A few that stood out to me included a chocolate shop, a cereal bar, and the numerous artisans designing exciting crafts. As a group, we also passed through Santa Maria del Mar. This is a beautiful Gothic Basilica located close to the sea that is rich in history and very beautiful! Many locals say this is their favorite spot in town, even with the breathtaking Sagrada Familia and Barcelona Cathedral! Towards the end of our walk, we went over to the Palau de la Musica Catalana, a modernist architecture masterpiece. We went inside the initial part of  the building but could not continue further without a reservation. The group closed the evening with an evening coffee/snack before I and a few other group members headed to our homestays and apartments for dinner.

I have a personal blog as well that I'll be posting on throughout the semester, but am excited to share my experiences with study abroad. For me, this is a dream come true and I can't believe I have the wonderful opportunity to experience a semester abroad!

Hasta luego!

Amy