EAT, DRINK, EXPLORE: MONTEVERDE

Open Campus Block

Photo for blog post EAT, DRINK, EXPLORE: MONTEVERDE

EAT

There is absolutely no way to avoid eating casado in Costa Rica. This traditional comida tipica (typical dish) is on every restaurant and home cook's menu because it features well-loved Costa Rican staples: white rice, black beans, salad, plantains, and either chicken, meat, or fish. Casado means “married” but don’t let the term fool you – casado ingredients aren’t combined. They’re simply served together on one plate. Brace yourself - it’s not uncommon to eat casado more than once a day in Costa Rica!

DRINK

Sure, coconut water has become all the rage in fitness circles around the world, but Costa Ricans have been sipping it straight from the shell for decades. Green coconuts, or pipas, look more like oversized mangos than they do coconuts and they lack the thick layer of meat inside the shell. But they’re filled with extremely delicious, thirst-quenching coconut water. As for rumors touting coconut water a pure enough substitution for a blood transfusion? Sorry. It does contain electrolytes that can help you rehydrate after a hot day in the sun.

EXPLORE

Ever wonder what it feels like to walk through a cloud? Then head straight to the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve. This 25,000-acre reserve rises high above the continental divide and is enshrouded in clouds. Its misty, mystical aura is enhanced by the lush green surroundings that are filled with more than 100 mammals, 400 kinds of birds, and 2,500 plant species. The Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve is the perfect place to take in Costa Rica’s rich wildlife diversity.

Search for programs in Monteverde!