A Day Trip Adventure for Study Abroad Students in Rome; Viterbo

By: Priya Moran

As a study abroad student in Rome, you can explore some of Italy's most beautiful and historic cities. One city you want to take advantage of is Viterbo, just a short train ride from Rome.

Viterbo is a fascinating medieval city with a rich history and stunning architecture. It's the perfect day trip destination for students looking to experience a different side of Italy. One of the highlights of Viterbo is the Papal Palace, which was once home to the popes during the 13th century. The palace is now a museum where you can admire the beautiful frescoes and learn about the history of the papacy.

Another must-see attraction in Viterbo is the Cathedral of San Lorenzo, which features a stunning Romanesque façade and beautiful frescoes inside. And if you're interested in learning about the city's history, be sure to visit the Civic Museum, which houses artifacts and exhibits from Viterbo's rich past.

priya moran rome

The Festa di Santa Rosa at the beginning of September is a must-visit event in Viterbo. Through the city's narrow streets, a group of one hundred strongmen, known as Facchini, hoist a four-ton obelisk-shaped statue of Santa Rosa that stands at a towering height of 90 feet. In the early morning, spectators gather along the streets to secure the best spots for viewing. Many either bring a whole bag of food and drinks or send a friend out to buy from local vendors in surrounding piazzas before closing for the event. The streets are abuzz with carnival-like energy inside the city's walls as the town gathers yearly.

But Viterbo isn't just about history and culture. The city is also known for its delicious cuisine, including the local specialty, Acquacotta, a hearty vegetable soup served with bread. This town is also home to the restaurant in the Guinness Book of World Records for the Most Pasta Dishes, La Spaghetteria Di Viterbo.

If you want to make a weekend trip of it, the surrounding tiny towns of San Martino al Cimino and Bagnaia are worth looking into for their excellent food and the giant garden known as Villa Lante.

Overall, Viterbo is a fantastic day trip destination for study-abroad students in Rome. Its rich history, stunning architecture, and delicious cuisine make it a city that shouldn't be missed.