A Day in the Life of a Study Abroad Student in London

By Trynity Scott

Good morning from London! I’ve gotten down a pretty good routine after being in London for two weeks already. I start my mornings around 7:00 am as my first class starts at 9:00 am. Every morning my friends and I like to meet up and grab a coffee and some breakfast at our favorite coffee shop called Pret. If you get the chance to be in London during Christmas time like I am, I highly recommend getting the Christmas sandwich from Pret. It will not disappoint as it tastes like Thanksgiving on bread.

After my friends and I get breakfast it is time to go to class, which can be a bit of an adventure. Every day differs in how we get to class, some of us prefer the bus, some the tube. I personally prefer the tube, which don’t worry if you’ve never used it before, it was very easy to figure out how to navigate.

My school schedule is one class from 9:00-11:30 every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. The class I am taking is the Survey of Economics. The coursework abroad has been very manageable so far. It is typical for a CIEE student to take two classes per “block” in the CIEE Open Campus Program, however, I am only taking one because I am doing an internship instead of another class.

Today, after my economics class I had some time before my internship started so my friends and I decided to go the the British Museum. London is amazing because all of their museums are free, and there are so many amazing ones to check out! My favorite so far has been Tate Britain.

After the museum, I walked to my internship. I absolutely love my internship so if you are debating on doing one through CIEE I highly recommend it. The process to get me paired with a company was very easy and went very smoothly. CIEE matched me up with a great start-up company where I am interning as a marketing assistant.

After my internship, I ended the day with my friends and we all met up at the Sky Garden Bar. The view from the top is beautiful and would highly recommend it if you are looking for a nice place to get a drink or two. Then we walked around Regent Street for a while as the Christmas lights were up right now and headed home after.