Avoiding Homesickness and Celebrating the 4th of July in London

Global Internship

Renee S.

Hello all!!

Happy 4th of July! While you may be in your backyard barbecuing, relaxing at the pool, or setting off fireworks, across the pond here in England things are very normal. In case you're wondering, British people do not really celebrate the independence of the U.S. from Britain. Like every other Thursday, I woke up and went to work. On such an important day in American history, it is easy to start to feel homesick. When thoughts of family, friends, and good food from home creep into your mind, it is tempting to look around the new and unfamiliar culture of London and long for some sense of home. But have no fear, I have had the most amazing Fourth of July ever (despite being over 4,000 miles away from the U.S.) !

Based on my experiences during this unique Independence Day, I have developed a list of expert tips in case you ever happen to find yourself in a similar situation.

How to Avoid Homesickness and Effectively Celebrate the 4th of July While in London:

1. Call your mom/a family member.
  2. As you get ready for the day, listen to the songs you grew up with (hello young Taylor Swift).
  3. Put on blue, red, and/or white clothes.
  4. If thoughts of best friends or home-cooked meals pop up into your mind, make sure to find a nice bench in Regent's Park and write in your journal. 
  5. Message people back home and ask them about their 4th of July plans.
  6. Gather your other study abroad gal pals! Walk around London, point out anything that reminds you of America, and laugh a lot.
  7. Go out with said gal pals to an American restaurant called Maxwell's where there are balloons, American flags, and a festive atmosphere.
  8. Order your most favorite food that reminds you of home (mac&cheese for me!).
  9. Get a Freakshake- the biggest milkshake ever with whipped cream and oreo cake on top!!
  10. Walk back to the dorm with your friends whilst singing songs that remind you of home.

I definitely did not expect it, but today was filled with so much joy, laughter, and yummy American food. Living in a new country can be intimidating, especially during holidays that remind you of home. However, if you follow these tips, you'll be set to have the best 4th of July ever- just like I did! 

Photo for blog post Avoiding Homesickness and Celebrating the 4th of July in London
The Girls Celebrating the 4th of July in London!